Cycle Experience for Drivers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hmmm - wonder where my Mum kept my Cycling Proficiency Test certificate from about 1970???

I might just need it:laugh:

Alex321

Veteran
So - only if they have been forced to re-take??

I was thinking of forcing everyone to take it unless they have a medical reasons saying they cannot ride a bike

and being a daily fail reader wouldn't count
Driving test requirements have never been retrospective.

If you got your licence 40 years ago (as I did), you have never needed to do the separate theory test, for instance.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
So what do you disagree with regarding Bikeability? Or to give it another name "National Standard for Cycle Training"?
I have to take some of this back. I was going to sound off on mandatory helmet and high vis, but actually when I check it seems that it is the schools making it mandatory and Bikeability just advising it. Still, I have never seen a Bikeability course run without helmets and Bikeabilty branded high vis, which in my eyes is telling the kids that cycling is a dangerous pursuit.

Reactions: mjr

Alex321

Veteran
I have to take some of this back. I was going to sound off on mandatory helmet and high vis, but actually when I check it seems that it is the schools making it mandatory and Bikeability just advising it. Still, I have never seen a Bikeability course run without helmets and Bikeabilty branded high vis, which in my eyes is telling the kids that cycling is a dangerous pursuit.
I can't imagine they would even consider running the courses without helmets.

As you say, they advise the wearing of helmets, that wouldn't look good if they then ran courses in contravention of that advice. Quite apart from any potential liability issues if some kid bashed their head.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Driving test requirements have never been retrospective.

If you got your licence 40 years ago (as I did), you have never needed to do the separate theory test, for instance.

It was obviously a much harder test back when we did ours as it covered 7.5 ton trucks, minibuses, large trailers etc. The modern test is clearly dumbed down as it only covers cars and small vans
:okay:

Profpointy

Legendary Member

When I did my cycle course not so long back I was encouraged to wear a helmet and high vis. Not convinced the high vis really made me stand out more

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Unfortunately, Bikeability is run on behalf of Local Authorities either by teams embedded in the LA, or by private organisations working on behalf of the LA. As I'm sure you are aware, LAs are incredibly risk averse, so they tend to require helmets and high viz. An example of how risk averse they are - when the local school crossing patrol (lollipop) is being trained, or assessed, the assessor/trainer wears high viz, even though they never go into the road. You can't win against that sort of mentality.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Unfortunately, Bikeability is run on behalf of Local Authorities either by teams embedded in the LA, or by private organisations working on behalf of the LA. As I'm sure you are aware, LAs are incredibly risk averse, so they tend to require helmets and high viz. An example of how risk averse they are - when the local school crossing patrol (lollipop) is being trained, or assessed, the assessor/trainer wears high viz, even though they never go into the road. You can't win against that sort of mentality.
When daily drivers start wearing fire suits and crash helmets I will dress in day glo and have a polystyrene hat until then I will carry on like I've been doing for over 40 years in regular clothing travelling 1000's of miles yearly on my daily transport cycle.

Top Bottom