Cycle GPS Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sittingbull

Veteran
It would be better (IMHO) if the back slid off the Edge range and the battery could be replaced (like a mobile phone), or aftermarket batteries were readily available (like TomTom). This is one reason I would avoid buying a used Edge, especially if a year or two old.

p1tse

Anyone upgrading to edge 800 from 200 or 500 as potentially interested

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
You connect the 500 to your computer. A pop up should appear. Click on open folder to view files. Click on Garmin which will show a new listing. Click on new files which will open.
Then on your computer open the folder where you have placed the gpx file.
Drag & transfer the file into the Garmin new files.
Once done.
Disconnect the Garmin and switch on.
The gpx file should now show as a course.
I assume the same goes for the 200 ?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
This is why I have been trying to compare the new etrex 10 against the Edge 200, price wise the Edge is dearer, it seems to me that the e trex does all the jobs that the Edge does, is1/2 the size of the old yellow ones and works on AA batteries but un till I can get a side by side comparison or print out the specs for the two I wont be sure.
I'd suggest you take a good look at the Etrex 20 rather than the 10. The ability to display full colour maps makes it worth every penny of the extra cost over the lobotomised 10 imo.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Edge batteries are readily available online & not hard to fit. Bought one for my 705 in September, under a tenner including shipping from the US and all the necessary tools. I've not actually got round to fitting it yet but all it takes is undoing a few screws to get in the case, pulling a couple of connectors off, prising the old battery out and reversing the procedure to get the new one in. If there was an AA-powered Edge, I'd have probably gone for that, but it's by no means a hard problem to deal with. Out on longer rides, I have a couple of external AA packs that (in the case of the 3xAA one) can keep the 705 fully charged and running for 12+ hours (depending on temperature and usage).

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
If you are thinking of going with a hiking GPS I would recommend you have a look at the Satmap Active 10 plus. In my opinion it beats the pants off any Garmin.

amaferanga

Veteran
Anyone have any thoughts on the garmin 310xt? I ask as it's going to be on amazin's lightening deals later today.
Cheers
d

Unless you're buying something for running and cycling you'd be better with an Edge 500. The Edge 500 has a bigger screen (so can display more and/or bigger data fields) and it looks much better on the bike. I have both having bought the 310xt a few years back because I was running as well, but I would never choose it over the Edge 500 on the bike. If you're just a very occasional runner then the Edge 500 can be fitted to the q/r strap that's intended for the 310xt.

sittingbull

Veteran
Edge batteries are readily available online & not hard to fit. Bought one for my 705 in September....
I've seen the 705 batteries listed, but as far as I can see from forum comments (not Cyclechat), the only options for the 200, 500 and 800 are to return the unit to Garmin, or attempt a DIY fix by measuring the original battery. I'm not saying they aren't available somewhere, but I couldn't find any.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I've seen the 705 batteries listed, but as far as I can see from forum comments (not Cyclechat), the only options for the 200, 500 and 800 are to return the unit to Garmin, or attempt a DIY fix by measuring the original battery. I'm not saying they aren't available somewhere, but I couldn't find any.
800 batteries are definitely available, from newpower99.com and others. 200 & 500 options seem hard to come by or non-existant, I'll agree.

Top Bottom