Cycle GPS Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RWright

Guru
You can get an Edge 800 for just a little over £200 before tax.

I bought an Edge 500 from performancebike.com when they had a big sale but returned it. I then purchased the Edge 800. I can read the screen on the 800 much better. I also decided I wanted the better mapping features. I got the 800 from handtec in the UK. I ordered it at about 1 am my time on Monday morning and had it in my hand before noon on Tuesday. I got the basic model without city navigator software installed, you can add third party maps or buy Garmin's detailed City Navigator for the region you choose.

I already had bought a speed/cadence sensor for the 500 and since they are the same for the 800, I just bought the basic 800, which was white and black, the color I preferred. I did a little price shopping and handtec was the lowest price of anyone that I saw...that had them in stock. I am not sure about handtec's return policy but I have a feeling it is not as liberal as performancbike.com or maybe somewhere like Wiggle. I bought it thinking that any warranty or repair issues that came up that I would probably have to deal with Garmin directly.

This is what I bought:
http://www.handtec.co.uk/satnav-gps/cycling-gps/garmin-edge-800-black-white-010-00899-01.html

^ The site is a nightmare to navigate but they have other Garmin computers and packages there as well.

I would strongly suggest that if you can, check them out in person. I would have but it is about a half hour drive for me to go to the nearest dealer to see them, so I just ordered sight unseen. I am much happier with the 800 because I can see it so much better and it has touch screen.

sittingbull

Veteran
Regarding battery life, when the internal battery ceases to hold charge/dies is it replaceable or is it time for a new GPS?

A quick search suggests they're not readily available. Anyone any experience?

OP
OP
db7db7

db7db7

Anyone have any thoughts on the garmin 310xt? I ask as it's going to be on amazin's lightening deals later today.
Cheers
d

AlanW

Guru
Maybe take a look at the Oregon 450, it is more mapping specific than the others. You can also load different maps on it to suit what you are doing, for example I can choose between OS maps for walking, OSM mapping for cycling or City Navigator for turn by turn directions using it in the car.

I looked at the 800 but knew that I would never use the virtual training partner and all the other guff for training, I much preferred to have better mapping functions plus a clearer and easier to read screen, hence why I went with the Oregon.

I also have the Edge 500 and it is a cracking unit and while its okay to follow a bread crumb trail, but from time to time it really is very beneficial to be able to view a detailed map as well.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Anyone have any thoughts on the garmin 310xt? I ask as it's going to be on amazin's lightening deals later today.
Cheers
d
I use a 310xt for running. does the job.

Tommy2

Über Member
I got a 310xt recently, seems good only used it once, strange how it has run and cycle preset as sports but not swim even though it is sold as an ideal triathlon watch, I found the GPS very good.

tug benson

Survived the Tour O the borders 2013
With the garmin 500 if am doing a sportive and they have the route on a GPX file, how do i get that on to the garmin 500?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
With the garmin 500 if am doing a sportive and they have the route on a GPX file, how do i get that on to the garmin 500?

You connect the 500 to your computer. A pop up should appear. Click on open folder to view files. Click on Garmin which will show a new listing. Click on new files which will open.
Then on your computer open the folder where you have placed the gpx file.
Drag & transfer the file into the Garmin new files.
Once done.
Disconnect the Garmin and switch on.
The gpx file should now show as a course.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Also, any ideas on battery life?
Garmin GPSs with internal batteries last 12-14h when new. That's fine for day rides, but not long enough for the longer audax events (300km and up).
Then you need a few hours of mains access to recharge. That's fine at home or on a hotel/hostel/B&B LEJOG, but not so handy if you are camping.
Workrounds are a) an external battery pack such as a powermonkey, or b) a dynohub and USB supply.
Also, the lithium batteries used have a limited life - after a couple of years the capacity starts to decline, and replacement is likely to mean a new GPS, or return to Garmin at least.

The alternative is to use a hiking GPS such as one of the eTrex models. These use AA batteries that last 24-28h (NiMh rechargeable).It's easy to carry a few spares, or you can buy on route. The disadvantages are that they are a bit bulkier, the bike mount is extra, and you don't get bike-specific training functions or extras such as cadence or heart rate.

This is why I have been trying to compare the new etrex 10 against the Edge 200, price wise the Edge is dearer, it seems to me that the e trex does all the jobs that the Edge does, is1/2 the size of the old yellow ones and works on AA batteries but un till I can get a side by side comparison or print out the specs for the two I wont be sure.

Top Bottom