Cycle GPS Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

db7db7

Hi,
i thought i'd ask for some advice as to what type of GPS i should get for my bike after the great advice previously received when i bought my bike (Sirrus Comp).
Basically, i'd use it for recording the basics on rides (distance, time, upload map etc), but am also hoping to do LEJOG this year (after a great London-Paris ride this yr) and would be great if i could get one where i can enter GPS route info and just follow the route - i know this is less "adventurous" but as this'll be an unsupported tour it'll also be one less thing to worry about.
So some advice please - what make/model, price range, how long battery last, ease of use, moutning etc.
As always, any help appreciated from you fine folk.
Thanks and a have a great xmas :snowball:

Garmin Edge 200, simple.

Does everything you've asked for, is compact, easy to set up and use, and simply works, sorted :thumbsup:

nathanicola

If you want detailed mapping the 800 is exellent with the o.s maps its not cheap though, battery life has been realy good and the screen is large enough to read while riding,the touch screen works well and isn't affected by rain. A few friends have the 705 that seems to do the same just in an older package no touch screen but has a joy stick control, a bit more fidely but is only around £175 they only have the basic map but i'm not sure if you can buy extra maps or not.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
If you want just the basic information. ride log and to follow a preloaded course/route bread crumb trail then the 200.
If you want the above plus HR and Cadence then the 500.
If you want the above plus full mapping then the 800.

OP
OP
db7db7

db7db7

Thanks for all the advice - much appreciated. I'm thinking along the lines of the 200 as i couldn't warrant over £200 for the use it'll get. So with the 200 i'[d be able to enter a LEJOG course/route from one of the many websites and then simply follow it? How does the device display this? is it with maps, instructions or just a north, south etc. guide. Sorry, completely new to this
Thanks again

How does the device display this?
It displays it as a 'breadcrumb trail', like this.
431f391ce-Purchase-online-Garmin-Edge-200-On-Sale-Best-Buy-Deal-Price-vx3s3-Best-us-stock-Cheap.jpg

Although it looks basic, (it is TBH), it shows you what you need to know, simple as that. If you miss a turn it beeps and flashes off course on the screen, then just follow the arrow head to get back on track.

IME this is all you need to see when you are moving. You can glance at it and see immediately what you need, anymore and IMO you are not concentrating on the road ahead.

The edge 200 is a great piece of kit. I can't warrant spending anymore myself, but after using the 200 for a few months I wouldn't ever bother. This does everything I'll ever need :thumbsup:

deanE

Garmin Edge 200, simple.

Does everything you've asked for, is compact, easy to set up and use, and simply works, sorted :thumbsup:
+1

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Thanks for all the advice - much appreciated. I'm thinking along the lines of the 200 as i couldn't warrant over £200 for the use it'll get. So with the 200 i'[d be able to enter a LEJOG course/route from one of the many websites and then simply follow it? How does the device display this? is it with maps, instructions or just a north, south etc. guide. Sorry, completely new to this
Thanks again

You follow a grey line called a bread crumb trail.
It quite easy to use once you get used to it.
If you go off route it does beep and tells you so.

Like this
419WwhsW7mL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

edit: crossed posted with smokeysmoo.

OP
OP
db7db7

db7db7

God, you lot are soooo helpful! I wish i could help you back but i know zilch about cycling. Looks like this'll be the one i'll get in the new year then. I'm guessing i can just "download" routes on to it that are currently ion the internet? Also, any ideas on battery life?
Thanks again all and have a great xmas.
D

defy-one

Another great feature of the 200 is a "show me home/start point"
I have used this a couple of times when i wasn't quiet sure which way i needed to go ..... Got me going in the right direction, and then i picked up roads i did recognise

Top Bottom