Cycle lanes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Suddabym

is it just me or is anyone else fed up of cars parked in cycle lanes ?
I’ve came very close to being knocked off my bike yesterday by a bus because I had to pull out of the cycle lane as there where 5 cars parked in it.Is there anything I can do to stop these menaces I see it everywhere.By my understanding the law is solid whit line no parking at all staggered white lines park only in an emergency.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I once saw a lorry load of sand tipped in one for the builders!

Yes, motorists selfishly parking in cycle lanes is of epidemic proportions where I live too. As is encroaching/ occupying the green 'safe refuge box for cyclists' at busy traffic light junctions!
Regarding cars parked in cycle lanes, I remember reading a few years back about a cyclist who was so angry about it he acquired a supply of ultra sticky backed A4 size paper, wrote '''Selfish' on it and stuck it on the offending car windscreen. Apparently, the paper backing was so sticky it would have taken hours to remove it!

mustang1

Guru
Yes, motorists selfishly parking in cycle lanes is of epidemic proportions where I live too. As is encroaching/ occupying the green 'safe refuge box for cyclists' at busy traffic light junctions!
Regarding cars parked in cycle lanes, I remember reading a few years back about a cyclist who was so angry about it he acquired a supply of ultra sticky backed A4 size paper, wrote '''Selfish' on it and stuck it on the offending car windscreen. Apparently, the paper backing was so sticky it would have taken hours to remove it!

Maybe that guy applies the selfish notes for cars even when they are parked on t eh sidewalk (ie not only the bike lanes).

vickster

Legendary Member
is it just me or is anyone else fed up of cars parked in cycle lanes ?
I’ve came very close to being knocked off my bike yesterday by a bus because I had to pull out of the cycle lane as there where 5 cars parked in it.Is there anything I can do to stop these menaces I see it everywhere.By my understanding the law is solid whit line no parking at all staggered white lines park only in an emergency.
Report to your local council and get your local cycling campaign group on the case

Also, when you see parked cars ahead move further out as early as possible when safe to do so (the same goes for cars parked on the road of course)

OP
OP
Suddabym

Suddabym

Sound advice thanks and sticky tape sounds like a good idea lol

winjim

Smash the cistern
When I rule the world I shall:
  • Make it a condition of vehicle ownership that you have somewhere to park it, off the road, on your own property or similar.
  • Ban all parking on the roadside, except in designated, marked areas.
  • Use the space created to increase space for walking, build dedicated cycle lanes and improve traffic flow for public transport.
  • Pay for it all with a major crackdown on all forms of illegal driving, plus a supertax on fuel and motor vehicle licensing.
  • Make exemption for the disabled and emergency services who should benefit from the overall decrease in motor traffic.
Can't see it winning the popular vote though...

OP
OP
Suddabym

Suddabym

When I rule the world I shall:
  • Make it a condition of vehicle ownership that you have somewhere to park it, off the road, on your own property or similar.
  • Ban all parking on the roadside, except in designated, marked areas.
  • Use the space created to increase space for walking, build dedicated cycle lanes and improve traffic flow for public transport.
  • Pay for it all with a major crackdown on all forms of illegal driving, plus a supertax on fuel and motor vehicle licensing.
  • Make exemption for the disabled and emergency services who should benefit from the overall decrease in motor traffic.
Can't see it winning the popular vote though...
Youve got my vote lol

Problem is, if it leaves a residue that takes either time, effort or cost to remove you've committed criminal damage. Not worth criminalising yourself over some nodder motorist.

Yes, absolutely. I hasten to add that I was not advocating 'revenge vandalism' against the cars of selfish motorists. I was simply pointing out how a very angry cyclist chose to deal with it :angel:;).

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

I reckon the problem with this as regards legality is degree of stickiness.

Criminal damage need not be permanent, an example of smearing mud on a police cell wall is given in the CPS guidelines.

For the purpose of sticking something to a car window, I reckon you'd be legal if you used masking tape - tape designed to be easily and cleanly removed.

The fascinating question is when does the amount of stickiness transition to criminal damage.

Might be safest to put the note under the windscreen wiper - that's legal as far as I can see.

https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/criminal-damage

Top Bottom