Cycle lanes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I was given a little booklet of tickets saying "NICHT auf unsere Wege Parken" ("DON'T park on our space") with a pedestrian, wheelchair and cycle sign. I have been known to put one under windscreen wipers of really egregious pavement parkers.

mgs315

Yes, motorists selfishly parking in cycle lanes is of epidemic proportions where I live too. As is encroaching/ occupying the green 'safe refuge box for cyclists' at busy traffic light junctions!

Saw a funny one the other day regarding those advanced stop lines. Moped rider decided to drive round a coach into an ASL box (I was driving a van in a right turn filter lane even more advanced of this position). Coach decided to drive into the rear of the moped whilst they were still at a red, tipping the guy over.

Dick move by the coach driver but I did find his enforcement of the ASL amusing.

Perhaps I am wrong about it but I choose to keep myself alive. If I am approaching a section of road with cars parked on the side, I make myself aware of what is coming up behind me. If I see a bus, or one or two cars, or anything really, I slow a bit and pace myself so that I can safely time my way around the cars.

I don't really care if I lose 5 seconds off my ride time, .1 of one mile per hour off my average speed, or give up my right to ride on the road. I care more about avoiding the wheel chair or even death.

Call me stupid but I don't put myself in dangerous situations knowing others don't pay attention the way they should.

One thing that is really funny to me is that cyclists constantly complain about cars blocking the bike lanes but I have seen several cyclists stop in the bike lanes, 2 or 3 abreast forcing other cyclists to move out into traffic as well. But we never hear about that on forums. Really no difference between the two when it comes to putting cyclists into danger.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Suddabym

Suddabym

Perhaps I am wrong about it but I choose to keep myself alive. If I am approaching a section of road with cars parked on the side, I make myself aware of what is coming up behind me. If I see a bus, or one or two cars, or anything really, I slow a bit and pace myself so that I can safely time my way around the cars.

I don't really care if I lose 5 seconds off my ride time, .1 of one mile per hour off my average speed, or give up my right to ride on the road. I care more about avoiding the wheel chair or even death.

Call me stupid but I don't put myself in dangerous situations knowing others don't pay attention the way they should.

One thing that is really funny to me is that cyclists constantly complain about cars blocking the bike lanes but I have seen several cyclists stop in the bike lanes, 2 or 3 abreast forcing other cyclists to move out into traffic as well. But we never hear about that on forums. Really no difference between the two when it comes to putting cyclists into danger.

OP
OP
Suddabym

Suddabym

never seen anyone on cycles park in a bike lane can't believe its a common thing and thanks for the cycling lesson.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Cycle lanes are usually rubbish anyway. Some are positively dangerous. Many are designed to keep cyclists out of the way of cars without any regard for the cyclist's safety or journey time. There's one on my commute home which is positively lethal if you are heading straight on at the roundabout: https://goo.gl/maps/Qz8aacCeMKS2 It gets you out of the way of drivers just sufficiently that they can left-hook you as you both reach the junction. I never use it.

never seen anyone on cycles park in a bike lane can't believe its a common thing and thanks for the cycling lesson.

Really? I have recorded them on video a few times in the past after reading too many of these car blocking lane threads over the last 15 years online. I have recorded them many times and too many times it is a cycling club. Really surprising to me as one would think they would be the group spreading cycling safety tips.

Ok, next time I see one, I'm recording and posting it ! :bravo:

classic33

Leg End Member
I criminally damage parked cars by giving them a very hard stare. It's untraceable and causes the owner to be afflicted with a series of embarrassing medical conditions.
Sat behind one, driving lessons, causing the instructor to get out and question my reason for stopping behind her car.

Reason given, she got back in and had the learner driver drive away.

Randy Butternubs

Über Member
Saw a funny one the other day regarding those advanced stop lines. Moped rider decided to drive round a coach into an ASL box (I was driving a van in a right turn filter lane even more advanced of this position). Coach decided to drive into the rear of the moped whilst they were still at a red, tipping the guy over.

Dick move by the coach driver but I did find his enforcement of the ASL amusing.

Would you have found it so funny if the coach driver had done it to a cyclist? Whatever your opinion of motorcyles filtering to the front at traffic lights, it seems strange that someone using a multi-tonne vehicle to threaten someone, cause damage to their vehicle and risk injuring them might be considered funny.

pjd57

Veteran
Cars parked in the cycle lane is pretty much taken for granted now.
One bit I pass in the West end of Glasgow is used by a car sales place as their forecourt.
All day every day.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I was sat on a bench outside a shop on Sunday; eating during a long ride. Four drivers in that time came up and drove and parked on the pavement, not even an attempt to park on the road, outside the shop. It is the inalienable right to drive and park your car wherever you want. For the sake of 50 metres they could have gone into an empty car park. There really are some sedentary lazy farkers about.

Top Bottom