Cycle locks Solid Secure Silver rating

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dodss

Veteran
To comply with my road bike insurance I need a cycle lock to the silver standard, please advise on the lightest model to comply and if possible whats the best way of going about this. I have looked at the solid secure website gives a long list and mostly seem to have ring suppliers.Only really Halfords of any size near me and their lock looks super heavy.I would prefer not to to tour with a heavy lock.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Do you have a local bike shop? They usually carry a good range and know the ins and outs of their locks. And another plus is that you can get hands on.

Unfortunately any silver standard lock is going to weigh a fair amount, they're all made of hardened steel which is weighty stuff, but I don't think you'd notice it once it's mounted on the bike. I ride a fairly light touring / commuting bike and have a bronze standard Abus Sinus 46 and I've never really given a thought about the weight.

Initially I'd say have a look at the Abus Varedo 47 or the Abus Ketaro 505, they are a similar weight.

I went for a gold rated Masterlock, only £21.49 delivered on Amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Master-Lock-Street-280x110mm-1200x10mm/sim/B000XRQ8UQ/2

It is a heavy, substantial, U lock with a bonus cable (which is NOT gold rated, but will secure wheels, seat etc for a cafe stop on a club run), but it is more confidence inspiring to use a lock that has the highest rating available at a price which would normally only get you a bronze rated lock.

It comes with a bracket to mount the lock to the frame and with an added velcro strap to ensure security on the frame when cycling, it is not noticeable weight-wise.

MCP

For myself as I live in a high crime area, I had to get one of these.

Bike lock

I know that it costs a bit more. But since I've had it, I feel a lot more secure with it there.

OP
OP
D

dodss

Veteran
Hi snomaes Lock seems to fit the bill .I can find this on amazon but cannot see it rated on the Solid secure website,or am I just missing it or was it called something else.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful

I use one of them. The mounting bracket needs a bit of DIY improvement with velcro or whatever, as has been mentioned. Otherwise, the lock jumps out when you hit a bump.

Manonabike

Über Member
Great lock, didn't it lose it's gold status very recently though :sad:?

I don't think it's rated..... I read something about it would not make business sense to pay for it to have the "Gold Status".... one has to assume that it is top quality since Cryptonite rates it at 10 /10 while it's thicker and has better attributes than the other Cryptonite U lock that enjoy "gold status"

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I don't think it's rated..... I read something about it would not make business sense to pay for it to have the "Gold Status".... one has to assume that it is top quality since Cryptonite rates it at 10 /10 while it's thicker and has better attributes than the other Cryptonite U lock that enjoy "gold status"

It used to have a rating and lost the rating in the sense I wrote because as you said they won't stump up the money to pay to have the test done any more. The same is true of other formerly bronze/silver/gold sold secure locks that now have no ratings. The mini fahgeddaboudit is not that old it was sort of based on two older locks, both of which I've owned.

Top Bottom