Cycle Mirror on the wrist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
That may be but having an early alert of an approaching vehicle would be useful. I ride on mainly single track roads in the highlands and have only a limited width of road [often bumpy] to play with. Frequent head turning would soon have me in a ditch or i'd get a wobble on as some impatient tourist wants to squeeze by. Theres loads of ebikes and cars now and i cant hear them.
Dont reckon the wrist mirror is the answer but might try a bar mounted. :okay:

Cars, ICE or leccy, make more noise in driving at a constant speed with tyre roar. Only on accelleration is a leccy car quiet. I use my ears as I can't turn well with my back, and my ears aren't the best for hearing.....

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Your ears and shoulder checks are your lifeline on a bike.
Wait till you get older :sad:
Fair point. It doesn't get easier.
Yep!

My hearing isn't great.

I have had a very stiff neck for several years now. I must start doing some exercises to try and free it. It doesn't hurt - it just doesn't move much!

Theres loads of ebikes and cars now and i cant hear them.
Cars, ICE or leccy, make more noise in driving at a constant speed with tyre roar.
Funnily enough, I got caught out by an electric scooter this evening on a local backstreet. I don't mean the stand-on type - this looked like the old-fashioned Vespas that mods used to bomb about on back in the 1960s. I assume that it was electric because I didn't hear it coming, and when I turned to watch it I didn't hear it accelerate away from me either. Petrol-engined scooters tend to be pretty noisy and I can hear them from a long way off.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Ah - they DO exist!

fossyant

Yep!

My hearing isn't great.

I have had a very stiff neck for several years now. I must start doing some exercises to try and free it. It doesn't hurt - it just doesn't move much!

Funnily enough, I got caught out by an electric scooter this evening on a local backstreet. I don't mean the stand-on type - this looked like the old-fashioned Vespas that mods used to bomb about on back in the 1960s. I assume that it was electric because I didn't hear it coming, and when I turned to watch it I didn't hear it accelerate away from me either. Petrol-engined scooters tend to be pretty noisy and I can hear them from a long way off.

I've been caught out by the leccy illegal MX bikes a fair bit in traffic - whoosh they pass you.. and that's when driving....

classic33

Leg End Member
It is good that they are not loud, but I think that the law should be changed to ensure that any electric vehicle that can do more than an ebike's 25 km/hr limit MUST make a certain minimum amount of noise. If they don't naturally make that amount of noise then a device must be fitted to make them noisier.
It was all properly registered, "taxed" and MOT'd. He was on his way to work at the time we met. Ridden sensibly, unlike most of the motorbikes round here.

fossyant

It is good that they are not loud, but I think that the law should be changed to ensure that any electric vehicle that can do more than an ebike's 25 km/hr limit MUST make a certain minimum amount of noise. If they don't naturally make that amount of noise then a device must be fitted to make them noisier.

We have an issue locally with with kids on MX bikes - at least you can hear them - so you avoid. Watch out as they wheelie up the main road on them (I'd run them off the road but don't want to scratch my old car), but it's moved to these electric ones now - just as fast, no noise, lethal for us other road users.

Seevio

Guru
... and my ears aren't the best for hearing.....
I'm somewhat curious as to which of your body parts you consider IS the best for hearing.

I am thinking of getting a bar end mirror - but wrist ones seem rather unreliable

my main problem is that if I look over my shoulder I am looking back round the edge of my glasses
hence fuzzy
and hence a road bik type person - who makes damn near zero sound - can be invisible
and most of them don;t bother having a bell so I get no warning when they wizz past at 1 foot clearance

a decnet mirror that always points in a preictable direction would allow me to see more behind me

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Cars, ICE or leccy, make more noise in driving at a constant speed with tyre roar. Only on accelleration is a leccy car quiet. I use my ears as I can't turn well with my back, and my ears aren't the best for hearing.....
There's always the technological solution, the rear view radar
It works well, and I consider it an improvement over any mirror I've tried to use

DiggyGun

I tried one and can safely report that they are cr@p. You need them fairly tight, otherwise it moves. It vibrates a lot. You cannot get your arm in the right position to use it.

Returned that and ended up getting a bar end mirror which works well. It’s foldable, so once you’ve get it set up it’s secure, you just fold it out to use and then just fold it in to get it through the gateway for example.

The one I purchased is Aluminium with a glass convex mirror. Consequently, it is fairly robust, very adjustable and rock solid with no vibration when riding.

Top Bottom