Cycle Mirror on the wrist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've got a mirror which you wear on your wrist .
I was given it as a Christmas present .
I have worn it a few times . I think it's effectiveness depends on what type of bars you have on your bike .
I have old drop handlebars on my bikes . Positioning of the mirror needs to be sorted so that you just don't get a view of your elbow or arm . A bit like those bar end fitting ones I suppose , which I find can also be difficult to set up . The thing with the wrist mounted mirror is that you can move your hand to get a better view . I find bar end fitting mirrors can easily be knocked out of position .
It can be handy to check what's behind you before turning round to see what is behind you as I tend to veer off at times.

OP
OP
B

Biker man

My wife brought me one when I cycle commuted. Cant remember the make but iirc it wasn't cheap....and certainly want very good. I could never get it to sit in a way that gave a stable view behind.
I ditched mine pretty quick. The thought was there but.....
Thanks that's what I thought.

Chief Broom

Veteran
hmm just been browsing mirrors on ebay and think it will have to be a bar end mounted otherwise will only have a good view of my shoulders. From motorcycle experience i know that if a mirror doesnt extend past the handlebar ends theyre useless :okay:

yello

I don't think I'd want to come off my bike wearing a mirror on my wrist. I'd hate to think what kind of damage they might do.

I'm reminded of my motorcycle training when the instructor reminded us of the risks of having anything bulky in your pocket, or wearing a backpack, or god forbid a bike chain around you. Come off, and these things can cause damage to you as you hit the deck and slide/roll.

Big John

Guru
If you've come a cropper a few times (please tell me I'm not the only one to have come a cropper a few times) you wouldn't want to be wearing anything on your wrist, especially something made of glass. I managed to gouge some skin off courtesy of my watch strap a few years ago. The mirrors I see used most often on road bikes are the bar end type and if I was inclined to get a mirror that's the one I'd go for.

gbb

Legendary Member
If you've come a cropper a few times (please tell me I'm not the only one to have come a cropper a few times) you wouldn't want to be wearing anything on your wrist, especially something made of glass. I managed to gouge some skin off courtesy of my watch strap a few years ago. The mirrors I see used most often on road bikes are the bar end type and if I was inclined to get a mirror that's the one I'd go for.
I remember once telling a colleague 'I fell of my bike' after an ice induced loss of ...everything.
He guffawed and replied..
'Kids fall of their bikes :laugh:...'

It does sound a but naff with hindsight so i modified it to something a bit more grown up...had an off or similar.

All the above conversation was lighthearted with a good friend colleague, all in good fun.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
That may be but having an early alert of an approaching vehicle would be useful. I ride on mainly single track roads in the highlands and have only a limited width of road [often bumpy] to play with. Frequent head turning would soon have me in a ditch or i'd get a wobble on as some impatient tourist wants to squeeze by. Theres loads of ebikes and cars now and i cant hear them.
Dont reckon the wrist mirror is the answer but might try a bar mounted. :okay:
I also cycle a lot of single track and have handlebar mirrors on all bikes and now my trike. Mirrycle or some such spelling are the best.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
hmm just been browsing mirrors on ebay and think it will have to be a bar end mounted otherwise will only have a good view of my shoulders. From motorcycle experience i know that if a mirror doesnt extend past the handlebar ends theyre useless :okay:
Mine are all bar end mounted but keep an allen key handy as the screws tend to come loose over time.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
I have the wrist one too. Not worn it much. It was a good design, but I had to swap the strap because it was set to wear on the left hand

I don't use bar end mirrors either. I found I kept hitting them on control gates or they would break if the bike fell over

I fettled my own using a Zefal Spin Mirror and a light bracket, mounted inboard of the shifter of my MTB, which offsets the mirror to the right

On the Single Speed it was easier (no shifter in the way) so I used a Zefal Spy Mirror outboard of the Brake mount

See if you can spot it

Last edited:

alex_cycles

Veteran
I find the Garmin Varia radar incredibly helpful. They are damned expensive, but I wouldn't be without one now. I think they're £130 on Amazon this weekend, but the regular price now is £170. I got mine in December 2019 for £99.

freiston

Veteran
Harley-Davidson do a full sized electric motorbike too. There are also mobility scooters that look like the "traditional" scooter - a class 3 one will be required to be capable of 8 mph but no faster when used on roads - though I have heard that they are capable of 15 mph but restricted for the UK market - and that some folk are using them unrestricted and when they are not qualified to use one (disabled or terminally ill) to "drive" home from the pub.
1638106745949.png

Top Bottom