Cycle Mirror on the wrist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

freiston

Veteran
I have not used a wrist mirror but have used a helmet mounted mirror and a brake-hood mounted mirror (velcro strap, drop bars, not brifters).

Both mirrors vibrated too much for me to effectively use them and both needed very frequent re-adjustment. Those issues aside, the biggest problem with the helmet mirror (other than having to wear a helmet) was knocking it and it becoming detached. I believe that it left my company on the floor of the Saxon Mill pub near Warwick. Similarly, the biggest problem with the handlebar mirror was it interfering with the use of my rain cape.

I can't use a bar-end mirror on account of my bar-end shifters occupying the spot. I would like to have a mirror but have pretty much given up on finding one that will do the job and be practical.

OP
OP
B

Biker man

I got given one last Christmas. Pretty useless IMO.
Thats what I think.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I can't use a bar-end mirror on account of my bar-end shifters occupying the spot. I would like to have a mirror but have pretty much given up on finding one that will do the job and be practical.
The drop-bar Mirrycle is the only mirror I've found good on drop bars.
Minimal vibration, sits high and wide enough to see round my hip & saddlebag pocket, and the bolt tension could be set to allow folding for parking without slipping in use.

The trouble is that it fits a fairly very restricted range of brake levers (versions for old-style cable-out-the-top levers, and for some Shimano STI). Otherwise, using the non-aero lever version, you may be able to drill & tap a hole in the top of a metal lever horn, and thread a long bolt down where the brake cable would be, cutting away a bit of the hood to give access.
Another downside was the 9/64" allen key it needed (may have changed since).

There is a bar-end version, but as you say, bar-end shifters, and also, being lower, it doesn't see round the saddlebag pockets.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I got a Zefal Spy rear view mirror a while ago after a near miss from a SUV which I hadn't heard approaching. I went out around a pothole and came within inches of death. Would have been more careful if I had known he was there. I should have shoulder-checked.

Wind noise in my ears can deafen me to approaching vehicles and there are also a few electric mopeds about.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/zefal-spy-bike-mirror

I swap it between bikes. I miss it when I don't have it now. I still shoulder check but it is good for keeping an easy eye out on what is behind you.

Also useful on family rides to check I'm not going too fast for my daughter if I'm in front.

Chief Broom

Veteran
I got a Zefal Spy rear view mirror a while ago after a near miss from a SUV which I hadn't heard approaching. I went out around a pothole and came within inches of death. Would have been more careful if I had known he was there. I should have shoulder-checked.

Wind noise in my ears can deafen me to approaching vehicles and there are also a few electric mopeds about.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/zefal-spy-bike-mirror

I swap it between bikes. I miss it when I don't have it now. I still shoulder check but it is good for keeping an easy eye out on what is behind you.

Also useful on family rides to check I'm not going too fast for my daughter if I'm in front.
I like where they've positioned them on the bike...wouldnt be able to see ****er all :laugh:
Think the same or similar can be had on ebay for £4 or so :okay:

Chief Broom

Veteran
Seeing a pot hole coming up with some impatient idiot behind you is perilous ,be careful out there.
Certainly agree there :okay: debris avoidance as well, i was on the A9 between Golspie and Brora and directly in my path was a full bin bag of something...behind and bearing down was a lorry....a quick indication and swerved around it. The driver had seen my predicament and had slowed down to let me manoeuver around it.. phew!

OP
OP
B

Biker man

Certainly agree there :okay: debris avoidance as well, i was on the A9 between Golspie and Brora and directly in my path was a full bin bag of something...behind and bearing down was a lorry....a quick indication and swerved around it. The driver had seen my predicament and had slowed down to let me manoeuver around it.. phew!
Some are good like that it's the late for work brigade that are the worst.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I like where they've positioned them on the bike...wouldnt be able to see ****er all :laugh:
Think the same or similar can be had on ebay for £4 or so :okay:

Yes, they've mistaken it for a make-up mirror!

Mine is on the outside of the drop bars, just up from the bar end & gives a good view of the road behind, unobscured by my backside.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
This popped up in my Facebook feed this morning.

Top Bottom