Cycle paths - which side - ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Basically on a shared path the cyclist has to take responsibility for making sure collisions don;t happen.

So if a walker/kid/dog does something dumb/unpredictable then you have to react to it - and be prepared to do so

But it is useful to have some basic rules that most people will stick to - no compulsion but generally the default.
Like cyclists all going the same way they would on local roads - i.e. left in the UK

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Like cyclists all going the same way they would on local roads - i.e. left in the UK

Or right, if the signage indicates so. :ohmy:

Punkawallah

Über Member
Local cycle path has a footpath alongside, separated by a raised paint line. So, outward run I’m on the right hand side, inward I’m on the left.

Or right, if the signage indicates so. :ohmy:
:becool:
Yes - in theory - but until I saw this thread I was never sure if the signage actually indicated a side for each. Partly because the signs are not always as consistent as you might expect
a bit like they sometimes get the 'bends ahead' and 'double bend' signs mixed up
One of the IAM advanced driving examiners where I took my test had a habit of, rather than asking "what was that sign we just passed" he would ask what was wrong with the sign we just passed - it indicated the wrong bend sign!

back to the topic - I seriously doubt that most pedestrians have any clue which side they are supposed to be walking on or even if the signs show a side - unless there are big pictures of bikes on one side of the pavement!

On the same point - I find often it is totally unclear that a path is a shared cycle path on a lot of them around here - and even if it is clear it will often not indicate when it ends - you just eventually start thinking this pavement is starting to look a bit narrow and the kerbs are not properly dropped any more

Mike_P

Guru
With some marked out cyclepaths on pavements cycling on the pedestrian part is often neccessary due to the incompetance of the highway authority - here a couple of North Yorkshires classics either side of Harrogate on the A59.

The second is recent installation; note how the rumble strip on the cycle part is laid out to be wheel friendly but not much use with the posts immediately beyond.

Last edited:
A general rule that should always apply is simply
Overtaking vehicle/person should always give way to the vehicle/person being overtaken - assuming that the vehicle/person being overtaken behaves in a reasonable manner

A situation perfectly ignored very recently on my ride this morning
Clearly as I am riding an ebike I am often the fastest thing on the cycle path. Unless, of course there are some proper road bike riders around - in which case they would normallt breeze past me with no problem.
This lot were coming off the old SIlver Jubilee bridge as I was coming home - and we were on the same cycle path for a while. I gave way to them at a few junctions and things because I can accelerate easier than them.
Then we got to a bit where they went on the road - but as I know the area well (I was nearly home) I knew there was a shared cycle path that gives a great advantage - but is badly marked - so I ended up in front of them.
Then I was getting to a point where it was clear that there was a good cycle path and a workshop entrance allowing easy access to the cycle paths. Turns out the cycle club were just catching me up at that point but I was unaware of them due to traffic noise and the fact that they could have gone several different ways by then.
ANyway the leading riders swung left off the road onto the path and shot up the dropped kerb onto teh cycle path - JUST as I was getting there and forced me several feet left - and away from the dropped kerb - I just managed to stop dead before hitting the full sized kerb.
no bells sounded (probably too heavy for 'proper' bike riders) and no shouts - and no room left for fellow cyclists.
So if you were there (I'm not mentioning the cycle club) - you were riding like a moron!!!
But if you were at the back and said thanks - well done - much appreciated

Anyway - end rant
just - if you are overtaking give warning and give way!

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
Right side. Always.

But then I live in the U.S. ^_^

richmace

Regular
Always stay to the left.

I try to stay as close as safely possible to the left side of the cycle lane. This communicates clearly my position to others, and allows faster cyclists room to overtake me to my right.

Remember that if you are faster than someone else (pedestrian, cyclist, etc), it is YOUR duty to either overtake safely or slow down / stop until it is safe to do so.

The person in front has no obligation to get out of your way.

Be prepared to slow down or stop, just as if you were a car driver. Some cyclists have a real issue with this…

Top Bottom