Cycle paths - which side - ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
On my recent tour I had a stint riding along the Grand Union Canal coming out of London. Whenever I saw a cyclist coming towards me I moved to my left, but I noticed that more often than not they moved to their right and we ended up going for the same side.

I wondered whether this was because they may have been from another country which drove on the right, so it was their instinct to move that way. Or maybe it was just that they were moving to the side further from the water!
never really thought about it before but... when i'm riding along the canal i tend to put myself on the waterside.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Most of the shared paths I have come across that have such symbols also have pedestrian symbols for the part of the path they are supposed to use.

OK. I must admit that I've never seen a shared path that has two separate cycle tracks, one for each direction.

Where do the pedestrians walk, relative to the two cycle tracks ?

DaveReading

Here's the signage on the majority of shared paths around here:

cycleway signs 2.jpg

With a distinct lack of imagination, the local authority hasn't mixed them randomly to make life interesting, but has boringly used one for traffic proceeding in a given direction and the other for those going the opposite way.

Of course you still get the odd idiot on a bike who believes in always keeping left ...

Reactions: C R

scragend

I generally ride on the left unless that part of the path is already in use, then I'll use the others side. Sometimes I've come across a group of folk walking side by side across the whole path. Ringing my bell, saying hello loudly occasionally works and they'll move aside but not always.

I encountered a group of such folk on the Leeds-Liverpool near Wigan once. There were four or five of them, walking side by side across the entire width of the towpath. I rang my bell from a fair distance away, then again when I was closer. They didn't move so I politely asked if I could come through. The response? "F***ing cyclists think they own the f***ing canal".

I thought about asking him to remind me who had been taking up the entire towpath. But he was much bigger than me so I just glared at him and rode off...

I encountered a group of such folk on the Leeds-Liverpool near Wigan once. There were four or five of them, walking side by side across the entire width of the towpath. I rang my bell from a fair distance away, then again when I was closer. They didn't move so I politely asked if I could come through. The response? "F***ing cyclists think they own the f***ing canal".

I thought about asking him to remind me who had been taking up the entire towpath. But he was much bigger than me so I just glared at him and rode off...
There are always some

but most are reasonable

Aren't pedestrians supposed to keep right on roads with no pavement in the UK?

I tend to be fairly relaxed about this sort of thing. I'm on a cycleway because I don't want to mess with traffic, and that means I have to accept pedestrians will be on the same bit of tarmac and have every right to be there. I'm the most dangerous thing on the cycleway and it's my job to work around them, not the other way around.

Part of the point of cycling as opposed to driving for me is that I'm not assuming I have the right of way.

Last edited:

sasquath

Whichever side the peds aren't on as they have priority regardless of the paint markings :okay:
Wrong,
On dedicated cycle path pedestrian has same right as on the road, has right to swiftly cross it.
On shared paths no user category has right of way over others, all users are equally responsible for safe use. Due to cyclists dominant speed we should slow down for passing.

From my experience cyclists keep to the left, pedestrians are random. Dog walkers always walk on opposite side of the path than their dog, well, since accidentally killing a dog this way I always assume that's the case.

DaveReading

On dedicated cycle path pedestrian has same right as on the road, has right to swiftly cross it.

On a road, pedestrians have the right to proceed along it, not just across it, and as slowly or swiftly as they wish.

sasquath

Aren't pedestrians supposed to keep right on roads with no pavement in the UK?

I tend to be fairly relaxed about this sort of thing. I'm on a cycleway because I don't wan to mess with traffic, and that means I have to accept pedestrians will be on the same bit of tarmac and have every right to be there.
As general rule walking on the road against the traffic is safer as pedestrian can see if car is giving enough room to pass safely and can run for his/hers/it's life.

Pedestrians have no business being on dedicated cycle paths( in presence of dedicated pedestrian path), you can rightfully "chase" them (vocally only and politely) away.

Last edited:

sasquath

On a road, pedestrians have the right to proceed along it, not just across it, and as slowly or swiftly as they wish.
Not if there is pedestrian path along said road. And not as slow as they wish, as fast as they are comfortable walking, ie swiftly.

DaveReading

Not if there is pedestrian path along said road. And not as slow as they wish, as fast as they are comfortable walking, ie swiftly.

Presence or absence of a footpath/pavement is irrelevant. Other than certain categories of road, for example motorways or those with "no pedestrians" signage, pedestrians have a legal right to walk on any highway.

Whether it's prudent to do so is a different issue.

sasquath

That is your opinion as to what they should do.

It is incorrect as far as the law is concerned, and therefore as far as rights are concerned, since those depend on the law.
Go on then and walk along any road with pavement along it, or cross road outside of pedestrian crossing at 1ft/minute and wait untill 2 funny dressed people in a car with blue lights explain you the law.

DaveReading

Go on then and walk along any road with pavement along it, or cross road outside of pedestrian crossing at 1ft/minute and wait untill 2 funny dressed people in a car with blue lights explain you the law.

Could you enlighten us as to what law is being broken?

Thought not.

Top Bottom