Cycle paths - which side - ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jody

Stubborn git
Whichever side the peds aren't on as they have priority regardless of the paint markings :okay:

and don't some of them know it.

It would be so much easier if everyone walk/ran/cycled/ on the left and then moved right if needing to go around.

iluvmybike

Über Member
Think it is best just be civil and use common sense to whatever you encounter. There's enough angst in the world already to fret about it - at the end of the day it is a shared path whatever the markings may say

Jody

Stubborn git
Always left for me and if someone's coming the other way on the same side, I simply stop and make them go around. :tongue:

Did that last week. The jogger ended called me a c-unit amongst other things. I only stopped as I didn't want a head on or the merry dance where neither party can make their mind up.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I ride on the left and move whereever I need to for pedestrians, children, dogs, horses, etc.
If another cyclist is oncoming I will stick to me left to encourage them over to their left, unless they are kids or look otherwise vulnerable.

The ones I hate are cyclists who stay two abreast oncoming on a path that's too narrow & don't give me as much space as I'd like.

dodgy

Another thing I see often on cycle paths with pedestrians in couples. You approach them, they see you, all is good - but then they split either side of the track leaving you to have to squeeze between them. At the height of the pandemic before vaccines I would stop and ask them to get to one side , for both our benefit! I still don't like it when it happens now.

Dolorous Edd

I used to have this problem but now find they get out of my way pretty damn sharpish...

armed_bikes_1.jpg

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Many of the cycle paths in this neck of the woods have a cycle symbol on the ground on the left side of whichever direction you're going, thus the 'official advice' is to cycle on the left.

OK, I'll bite - how can the cycle symbol be on the left hand side regardless of which direction you're travelling ?

Venod

Eh up
You approach them, they see you, all is good - but then they split either side of the track leaving you to have to squeeze between them.

This is a situation that happens to me all the time, its like a skills test to get by them with minimum space.

I always keep left but a lot of cyclists don't seem to realise that's what should happen.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I tend to play it by ear. I’ll usually try to stay left. If there are pedestrians approaching I’ll give them priority, especially if the ground is rough or muddy. If I’m on the road walking and there’s no footway I always walk facing the oncoming traffic as recommended in the Highway Code.

Top Bottom