Cycle paths - which side - ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tenkaykev

Guru
As a pedestrian, if I’m being approached at speed I’ll initially take a jump to the left followed by a step to the right. If the path is narrow I’ll stand sideways with my hands on my hips and my knees in tight. If the person shows signs of getting stroppy then I’ll give a pelvic thrust gesture, it really drives them insane.

Dag Hammar

Left is safer. In the event of a head on scenario a driver - or rider - is far more likely to instintively turn to the left, and thus those are the rules for aviation and maritime avoidance.
[/QUOTE]

I’m obliged to challenge part the above, posted by Drago, regarding aviation. To quote the British Gliding Association laws and rules regarding collision avoidance.

Approaching head-on

When two aircraft are approaching head-on or approximately so and there is danger of collision, each shall alter its heading to the right.

Last edited:

Brandane

Legendary Member
Not that its ever happened to me, but if it did I would simply stop and let them decide how they're going to make the 19 stone man move.

Left is safer. In the event of a head on scenario a driver - or rider - is far more likely to instintively turn to the left, and thus those are the rules for aviation and maritime avoidance.

I’m obliged to challenge part the above, posted by Drago, regarding aviation. To quote the British Gliding Association laws and rules regarding collision avoidance.

Approaching head-on

When two aircraft are approaching head-on or approximately so and there is danger of collision, each shall alter its heading to the right.
I second the motion that Mr @Drago is indeed talking out of his 19 stone arse on this occasion, regarding maritime rules. To quote rule 14 of The Merchant Shipping Regulations 1996:
When two power-driven vessels are meeting on reciprocal or nearly reciprocal courses so as to involve risk of collision each shall alter her course to starboard so that each shall pass on the port side of the other.
Altering course to starboard means turning right, so that the vessels pass on each others port side (left when facing forward).

Reactions: C R

figbat

Slippery scientist
Just to add, the same is true in horsemanship too - "left hand to left hand".

Of course regardless of the rules of engagement, if you grow up in a RHD world, your ingrained behaviour may well be to steer to the offside - away from danger - which in this case would be to the left.

To answer the original question, I take note of signs and markings and stay to the side indicated (if such indication is provided). In the absence of any clear guidance I'll typically stay left but will take the path of least resistance when encountering any other route users.

Alex321

Veteran
OK, I'll bite - how can the cycle symbol be on the left hand side regardless of which direction you're travelling ?
The cycle symbol will be the right way up on one side, and the wrong way up on the other side. The one where it appears the right way up to you as you approach the symbol is the side you should be riding on.

There's a pedestrian/bike path that's about a mile long. One side is for bikes and the other for pedestrians. So one way you'll be on the left and coming the opposite direction on the right.

Nobody really seems to know which side though. The signs are only at the start of the path - not repeated.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
The cycle symbol will be the right way up on one side, and the wrong way up on the other side. The one where it appears the right way up to you as you approach the symbol is the side you should be riding on.

So on the shared path that you're describing, how do the pedestrians know which side they are advised to keep to ?

Reactions: C R

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Not that its ever happened to me, but if it did I would simply stop and let them decide how they're going to make the 19 stone man move.

Maritime avoidance is keep right I think.

Top Bottom