Cycle paths - which side - ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
When I'm using a cycle path, I habitually keep to the left on the basis that that's the side I cycle when I'm on a road. Many of the cycle paths in this neck of the woods have a cycle symbol on the ground on the left side of whichever direction you're going, thus the 'official advice' is to cycle on the left. However, occasionally I come across another cyclist or a jogger who are on their right and insist, sometimes aggressively, that they are on the correct side and refuse to give way forcing me onto the 'wrong side' of the cycle path.
Thoughts - ? :whistle:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Left hand side for me
But other users have no clue re highway code

Drago

Legendary Member
Not that its ever happened to me, but if it did I would simply stop and let them decide how they're going to make the 19 stone man move.

Left is safer. In the event of a head on scenario a driver - or rider - is far more likely to instintively turn to the left, and thus those are the rules for aviation and maritime avoidance.

Round here I generally find an encounter where 2 cyclists meet on a path then they both act as if it is a road - hence both go to their left and pass with no trouble

I have had a couple in the last year who insisted on going to their right - one older guy was very indignant when I stayed left and stopped so he was forced to his left - no clue why
There have been a couple of cyclists who went to their right - but that was on a canal tow path and they were maybe less confident and so wanted to stay away from the actual canal.

Walker and joggers I generally find go to their RIGHT - so I have to pass by going to my right. I generally find that this is so common that I just expect it.

The most common reaction from dogs is generally to wait until the last minute and then stand directly across the whole path!!
Kids are just totally unpredictable.
Hence any sign of a dog or kid and I slow right down and just react to what happens

Mixed situation - e.g. walker plus approaching cyclist - who knows!

tyred

Legendary Member
Always left.

Even on normal roads, I have seen people who ride against the flow of traffic for whatever reason.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Left, but folk forget, so make your judgement.

dodgy

let them decide how they're going to make the 19 stone man move

Oh please.

Left for me, I quite often see riders riding on the right and it is annoying, they often seem to be completely head to toe in high-viz also, this is on traffic free NCN routes like the rather excellent NCN568 which connects Neston to Chester and Wales.
When I approach them I just indicate to my left to make it abundantly clear and they usually then stay left, I do seem to be having some success with that.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Left, but it's not unusual to end up on the right when negotiating other path users. So I have passed other cyclists on paths with us both on our right side of the path as a result of this. I return to the left when it's all clear. Never had any argy bargy as a result. I find that with shared use paths you just have to be flexible and deal with what's in front of you. If it means going to the right ... so be it.

Top Bottom