cycle protective gear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chipmonster

Hi

Does anyone wear any protective gear.

I went to a motorbike store and bought some durable gloves, the guy at the shop said they are okay for a small scooter or a 125 cc.

Anyway, they had a really good jacket, a summer one and it had protective padding. The cost was £100, but i thought it is worth if I ever come off, still thinking whether to buy it or not?

The trousers were bit padded for me, not sure on them. They had nice shoes too, the basic range but would be ideal for a bike.

Anyone else wear protective clothing?

Keeno

I dont wear any protective clothing. I used to ride motorbikes myself and I can tell you that anything from a biker shop will be quiet heavily padded and will weigh a fair bit. You will also be hot as hell in them.

OP
OP
C

chipmonster

The jacket seemed okay, it had a see through kind of material and the shop assistant said it is for very sunny occasssions.

I wore it, seeemed okay and i think it would only be like a normal jacket.

Keeno said:
I dont wear any protective clothing. I used to ride motorbikes myself and I can tell you that anything from a biker shop will be quiet heavily padded and will weigh a fair bit. You will also be hot as hell in them.

wlc1

Your mad. M/bike gear on a bike!!!!!

Loopy if you ask me and you'll sweat your nuts off, pass out and fall off anyway

yello

I'm not sure if cm means it for a motorbike... at least, I hope so. But I must admit to being a tad baffled.

Tynan

Veteran
helmet and gloves is about it I think, not sure any cyclist wear more than that for protection, I've had some proper offs and a nasty scrape is the worse really other than bruises

Why Gloves?

Excuse this question...

I have cycled to work a few times over the years, one stage averaging 90 miles a week over four days.

Why cycle gloves? Yes I have once for he cold winter months but what advantages are there over the summer months?

Adrian

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Sapper said:
Excuse this question...

I have cycled to work a few times over the years, one stage averaging 90 miles a week over four days.

Why cycle gloves? Yes I have once for he cold winter months but what advantages are there over the summer months?

Adrian

Well I like mine because of the gel pads for more comfort and the cloth area on rear for wiping away sweat.

maurice

I ride motorbikes but would never dream of wearing motorcycle gear for cycling!! Unless you're riding like a pyschopath or on a trackday riding an engined bike is no form of exercise, do anything when your body is generating heat and you will overheat extremely fast in motorbike gear.

Bodhbh

Guru
Must admit first time I got on a bike in years, felt like I could use some skater-style elbow and knee pads along with the helmet and gloves.

RedBike

I occasionally wear pads (knee/ elbow) on the MTB.
They make a big difference when you fall off (which in my case happens quite regularly). They also stop the bracken from scratching my legs to pieces.

The pads are warm, so you wouldn’t want to wear them if/when we actually get a warm day.

Top Bottom