Cycle shorts. How long (in miles) should they last?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Had my Endura Pros for several years so notched up a few thousand miles (between 2 pairs).
My bum/sit bones have got tougher and I have got more 'ride fit' generally.
At the weekend, part way through a 30 I got some discomfort so had a 10 minute rest then all was fine.
But it got me thinking about when they need replacing.
I am trying to build up to 40/50 miles (i know thats not much to some of you) so am happly to buy new ones......but not just for the sake of it.e

vickster

Legendary Member
I expect very variable...your weight, your saddle, how you wash them, how often you wash them, how long you are wearing them for at a time etc etc etc
If you think they are wearing out, I’d get another pair, not least as they’ll likely be discontinued when you actually do need to replace!

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Too many variables I guess, like washes, hot/cold rides, saddle variations etc etc. I still use a pair of Altura Progel bibs for commuting that were my first ever bibs back in 2013, they're tatty but ok for a 10 mile commute. DHB Aeron survived 4 years before falling apart at the seams (literally). 'Nice' shorts for 'me' rides are Gore and the oldest is 3 years with no issues.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I don't wear cycling specific shorts for riding, did a nice hilly Derbyshire ride of 85 miles a couple of days ago with no problems. Have had my current set of shorts for several years and they are starting to look tired and a bit shapeless so are probably due for replacement.
The item that suffers the most is probably my undercrackers! These are M&S finest trunks but the continual torture of being ground between my rock hard buttocks and the saddle means they get pretty thin and some have even worn through. The holes don't introduce any discomfort though so carry on regardless.....

Need to look for new shorts, I think the current ones are from Regatta. Some kind of long 3/4 length short with pockets and a bit of stretch.

rugby bloke

Veteran
Kept my first pair until my arse was pretty much hanging out ... I now have 3 pairs of Shutt Velo bib shorts, the oldest par was new last year and still look to have plenty of life in them. Being able to rotate 3 pairs does seem to be working as the 2 pairs I bought this year are as good as new.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I drove behind an elderly, portly gentleman wearing cycling shorts this week. They must have been decades old, because they were transparent.

Its not his legs that needed a good shave

It was a frightening site.

Please, please. please buy new shorts.

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
^^^ this. Just replace once they are on the verge of becoming see through.

Twice this year we've had to let members of our cycle club know it's time to change - usually accompanied by the phrase "Arrggghhh, I can't un-see that now..."
You know what I went through. I may need counselling.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I may not have made it clear but I refer to the padding.
If my hairy bum was showing through I think something would tell me its time for a change

vickster

Legendary Member
I think it’s more likely frequently worn and washed Lycra will go see through before the padding wears out, even with higher quality shorts/pads

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I think it’s more likely frequently worn and washed Lycra will go see through before the padding wears out, even with higher quality shorts/pads
Are you supposed to wash cycle shorts??? I wish someone had told me. They are getting a bit slippery.
I tend to take them off and leave them standing in the corner till the next ride. I think I will give them a wash then, if I can fold them up small enough to fit in the machine :rolleyes:

I threw my last ones out because I feared the lycra was thinning, the pad was still fine. It was being behind somebody who clearly hadn't been told he needed new shorts which was my prompt to hold my own up to the light and think, hmmmmmmm........

vickster

Legendary Member
Are you supposed to wash cycle shorts??? I wish someone had told me. They are getting a bit slippery.
I tend to take them off and leave them standing in the corner till the next ride. I think I will give them a wash then, if I can fold them up small enough to fit in the machine :rolleyes:
:rolleyes:

Top Bottom