Cycle to Work Sneakiness

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grellboy

Über Member
My friend is about to leave his job, having only recently obtained a bike on a c2w scheme. He was given a voucher which he handed to a shop. When work either a)ask him to pay in full for it or b) ask for it back, is there anything to stop him handing back an older "spare" bike accidentally? Would his "mistake" been noticed by the HR dept?

Drago

Legendary Member
The theft act, 1968, is stopping him. If he feels its worth risking a criminal record over a mere bicycle (and theft from employer is viewed quite harshly by the courts as its a breach of trust crime) then good luck to him.

Julia9054

Guru
No, of course he shouldn't. Apart from anything else, it would be ridiculously easy to check
Will they do option b? What would an HR department do with a random bicycle? (The correct one, i mean)

Lozz360

Veteran
In any case, I’m sure the conditions of the C2W scheme are that you have to refund your employer if you leave your job. Although technically the bike belongs to the employer but as @Julia9054 says above, what would the HR dept. want with it?

Tin Pot

Guru
The theft act, 1968, is stopping him. If he feels its worth risking a criminal record over a mere bicycle (and theft from employer is viewed quite harshly by the courts as its a breach of trust crime) then good luck to him.

You are of course right. I’m not sure they’d care enough to prosecute.

Would I do it? No, but then few people have principles.

Tin Pot

Guru
Do you mean most have principles but a few don't?
This scenario has all the factors of a deception most people would enact.

The victim is not an individual, it’s an organisation. The object is something they already feel is theirs. The likelihood of getting caught seems remote.

Few people have principles that they hold and standby regardless of the situation.

vickster

Legendary Member
This scenario has all the factors of a deception most people would enact.

The victim is not an individual, it’s an organisation. The object is something they already feel is theirs. The likelihood of getting caught seems remote.

Few people have principles that they hold and standby regardless of the situation.
By ‘most people’ you are presumably referring to yourself?
This scenario is not something that would ever cross my mind

Top Bottom