Cycle touring travel books recommendation.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I enjoy reading cycle travel adventures and have a reasonable collection but wondered if anyone can recommend any I have missed. Probably loads. I have the bike called Reggie ones, one Josie Dew, Full English, Tim Moore and a couple of practical how to ones. No interest in professional racing just travel related.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Alistair Humphreys' book,'Moods of future Joys', on his first bike tour across Africa is pretty good.

Then there is Roff Smith and 'Cold beers and crocodiles' which documents his tour across Australia. I've just started reading this.

Since you have online access, 'Crazyguyonabike' is a good website where people post their daily journals.

Steven Primrose Smith (a member here) has a few, I particularly enjoyed one where he set off with a group to cycle to Spain with a very limited daily budget. Interesting, not just from a cycling perspective.

Ann Mustoe (the first one) - how a middle aged woman sets off on a great adventure. Wonderful motivation to forget about bike specs, gear and equipment and mechanical skills - just get out and ride!
Dervla Murphy.

CGOAB is a fantastic resource. The search function means you can search by place. There's something captivating about a well written one, it almost feels "live", even years after the event.
Just don't venture into the forums.

Chris Poutney has round the world book(s) , although his blog was better.

There are lots of Bike Touring self published books on Amazon. I liked Mike Vermeulen who cycled all the continents, solo, as part of a (package) group and with a "buddy" met online. There's a lot of crap, though. Download a sample before buying!

Steven Primrose Smith (a member here) has a few, I particularly enjoyed one where he set off with a group to cycle to Spain with a very limited daily budget. Interesting, not just from a cycling perspective.
+1
have read a few
His best is I think his first.

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00M9QVH9Q/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_bibl_vppi_i1

which I would recommend to anyone - one of the best cycle touring books I've read (some can be truly deadly)
caution: - if from Blackburn you might not like his take on it. If not from Blackburn, no worries, he spends very little if any time cycling around it.

This is pretty damn good as well and will doubtless increase your knowledge of obscure european statelets.

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Biking-Broken-Europe-Unstable-Continent-ebook/dp/B07NQWDXRS/ref=pd_vtp_351_3/261-4374559-7074438?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07NQWDXRS&pd_rd_r=2e734a93-046e-4299-84e8-929e030bb615&pd_rd_w=hoQdX&pd_rd_wg=5loZN&pf_rd_p=768b5a93-0842-4c9d-8f7f-107f5eb91a6d&pf_rd_r=6817KF5CCH8RQNVWXHHP&psc=1&refRID=6817KF5CCH8RQNVWXHHP

Still a bit miffed about the cheeky sod splitting his book on cycling round our own fair country into two books though :smile:

OP
OP
Oldhippy

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Thanks folks these are all new to me barring Anne Mustoe. I have Mrs Oldhippy on the case in the ordering department (I am not allowed to attempt buying things online without a responsible adult). Keep them coming. Thanks.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Just like to note that Roff is also an active member on here - a wonderful photographer.

Indeed.

Top Bottom