Cycle users on pavements.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tracy

There is a cycle-path near me that I use. It borders the insane A56. You have to negotiate busy side roads, pedestrians, dogs and the entrance and exit of a large petrol station. It then spits you out onto a huge, crazy, motorway roundabout. It is considered so dangerous they built an underpass for the safety of cyclists and pedestrians. However some Walking society or other complained about having to share it with cyclists, so cyclists are banned from using it. I still use the underpass, as do most of the other local cyclists.

Thats just crazy. Put cyclists at risk because people won't share. What's the world coming to?

Tizme

Veteran
Thats just crazy. Put cyclists at risk because people won't share. What's the world coming to?

It's because someone from the society once met a walker that had a friend who's grannies friend narrowly missed getting run over by a dangerous cyclist because they were on the pavement after they'd just cycled through a red light and held up a dozen cars in the rush hour!:laugh:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer

Maybe the pedestrians don't like their safety being put at risk by reckless idiots on bikes tearing around at road speeds on the pavement? The irresponsible antics of quite a large minority of cyclists does the whole reputation of cyclists no favours whatsoever. Carving up pedestrians and shouting abuse at them for being in the way is not the way to win cyclists any friends.

lane

Veteran
Sometimes I do ride on the pavement but I don't cause issues for any pedestrians. For example, I often come out of an off road cycle path, where I will need to cross / turn right onto a fairly busy road and then do a right turn after a short distance. I just turn right onto the pavement and save myself two manoeuvres crossing and then re-crossing a busy road. Rarely any pedestrians but if there are they will be shown utmost consideration including stopping to let them past if necessary.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Maybe the pedestrians don't like their safety being put at risk by reckless idiots on bikes tearing around at road speeds on the pavement? The irresponsible antics of quite a large minority of cyclists does the whole reputation of cyclists no favours whatsoever. Carving up pedestrians and shouting abuse at them for being in the way is not the way to win cyclists any friends.
But carving up pedestrians and shouting abuse at them is illegal whether or not cycling is allowed. If you ban cycling somewhere, then those are the only people who still cycle there, but now you've no one else on bikes to set an example, record them on handlebar cameras or (cycle police...) arrest them easily.

Tracy

Could say the same about motorists aswell. But people don't tar them all with the same brush.

GuyBoden

Guru
I cross at the lights on the A556 at Plumley and then ride on the pavement instead of the dual carriageway. A few years ago, a cyclist was killed riding on this part of the A556 dual carriageway, hit by a truck.............

Mrklaw

I find it all a bit confusing. Riding from Slough station there are some areas with the shared space sign, and pedestrian crossings with the combined 'person + bike' green man. But then there are long sections with no signs, but the crossings still have the bike on them - so are they shared pavement? Not been cycling in urban areas more than a couple of days but already its a minefield. And the roads are worse - lanes appearing then disappearing with no warning.

mjr

I find it all a bit confusing. Riding from Slough station there are some areas with the shared space sign, and pedestrian crossings with the combined 'person + bike' green man. But then there are long sections with no signs, but the crossings still have the bike on them - so are they shared pavement? Not been cycling in urban areas more than a couple of days but already its a minefield. And the roads are worse - lanes appearing then disappearing with no warning.
Road lanes do that. Motorists have to deal with it too, but the ones that affect them worse get fixed sooner with arrows and shoot because they destroy and kill more other things/people when they crash.

The unsigned sections... I think if there's no cycle symbol on the ground or a sign for some minimum distance (400m sounds familiar), then strictly speaking legally you should regard it as reverted to a footway, but unless you passed a "CYCLISTS REJOIN CARRIAGEWAY" or a red-edged no-cycling sign (current) or (old and obsolete) "END OF ROUTE" or even (very old, 1980s) "End" under a blue circle cycle sign, then I think you've a legal defence. And if there's then a walking+cycling crossing, it's probably a council mistake or maintenance failure (to replace lost signs or markings) anyway.

Slick

Guru
I have the same issue, but for the short time I'm on the pavement it will be forever my defence if I was ever challenged.

nickr

Über Member
There is a new cycle track in Kingston. Pedestrians are always on it making it almost useless. I never comment as I pass them. This is the price we pay for ignorant cyclists using the pavement, it's payback time.

mjr

There is a new cycle track in Kingston. Pedestrians are always on it making it almost useless. I never comment as I pass them. This is the price we pay for ignorant cyclists using the pavement, it's payback time.
No, it's the price we pay for electing car-crazed and cheapskate councils who won't build cycle tracks to proper standards, so they look indistinguishable from footpaths by the casual walker.

Top Bottom