Cycle users on pavements.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
I drive through centre of Bristol regularly on the evening and there are genuinely loads of adult even middle aged cyclists riding on the roads in dark clothing with no lights? Almost like it’s a “thing”?

We also have gangs of youths riding city streets deliberately disrupting traffic?

There are loads of weirdo’s on the planet, I don’t see it reflects on “cyclists” or people who happen to ride bikes, they are simply idiots waiting for natural selection to occur.

Now I 100% agree with you, trouble is many people do not see us that way and tar us all the same.

Alwaysbroken

Now I 100% agree with you, trouble is many people do not see us that way and tar us all the same.

Ha ha, ignore the small minded, I’m not precious enough to give a flying monkeys what others think of me as long as I live by my own decent morrals I’m entirely happy to let the uneducated miss-judge me without a care :smile:

My neighbor hates us purely based on perception, my lads all play rugby, they used to ride mx bikes and when I moved in to the house I had a Staffie (long passed now:sad: ) based on that we must therefore be bad people. While they sit sedentary in their conservatory getting stoned.

Life’s to short, I’m a “cyclist” but there’s lots of other things I probably do to p155 folk off :smile:

Most pavement cyclists are there because a perceived fear or bad street layouts (one ways/ no clear permeable network) and I understand that. I can't understand pavement cyclists in central Cambridge though; you've got a massive critical mass on the road including a lot of women and young children, yet you get a middle aged man cycling down the footway on a two way street :wacko:

tom73

Guru
I see you point but some can’t have it both ways. Someone down our street cycles 1/2 way up the street then rest of the way to work on pavement. Coming home the some pavement all the way till top of the street then free wheels in the middle of the rd all way at speed down hill with no hands. Even though the street is cut in two by a side rd via a blind bend. Which cars offen drive round at speed.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
[...] free wheels in the middle of the rd all way at speed down hill with no hands. Even though the street is cut in two by a side rd via a blind bend. Which cars offen drive round at speed.
warning-sign-darwin.jpg

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
I cycle on the pavement where necessary and I give way to pedestrians.

If I ever get a fine I will simply regard it as a retroactive live insurance premium. It will be the best value life insurance policy I ever bought.

400bhp

Guru
Tolerance
Common sense
Professional judgement

But in rush hour when I’m stuck behind a massive queue because a Lycra clad numpty is struggling to maintain 10mph on the road I think they should get off their “it’s my right” mindset & get on the path.

Live and let live brother :smile:

Hmmmmm

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I have taken to riding a particular stretch of pavement on my commute home. It follows a long tiring climb out of a valley, the incline decreases slightly at the particular section, but progress is still slow, it is impossible keep pace with traffic. It is very narrow in parts with sharp blind bends. Traffic is constant at peak hours and it has a 50mph limit, but some still exceed that. Most drivers are flying recklessly around the blind bends without regard for who might be out of sight around the corner, or coming in the opposite direction in the middle of the road. After a couple of very close overtakes on the bends, including one occasion with an oncoming cyclist. Myself and him being tailgated by loons attempting to overtake us both at the same time as we converged at the bed in the narrow road. Truly brown pants moment for all involved.... mercifully one of the drivers had the sense to abort the overtake at the Nth hour and hung back. I have since quit riding on that road for fear of the worst eventually happening there.

Previously I was adamant about never riding on pavements and had somewhat a condescending attitude towards pavement riders, but now I have proudly joined ranks (for this small section of road) for fear of being squashed like a bug. In the summer I'm able to avoid the road by taking a piece of off-road track, but it's unlit and next to impassible in the winter due to boggy conditions so I'm forced to stick to the road, there are no reasonable alternative routes without massively extending my already lengthy 10 mile route, or taking the dreaded Wakefield Road which is arguably worse, that would also mean giving up on the 4 or so miles of relative safety on the Leeds-Bradford Cycle Superhighway.

Tong Road by any chance?

al78

Guru
Most pavement cyclists are there because a perceived fear or bad street layouts (one ways/ no clear permeable network) and I understand that. I can't understand pavement cyclists in central Cambridge though; you've got a massive critical mass on the road including a lot of women and young children, yet you get a middle aged man cycling down the footway on a two way street :wacko:

Er, not necessarily, if some of them really were scared of using the road they wouldn't ride on the pavement at night in dark clothes and no lights, then emulate the smart-phone-dumb-users by darting into the road without bothering to look (yes I have seen this behaviour, fortunately not that common). The worst example was a kid who used the cycle route across the main roundabout between Horsham and Broadbridge Heath, which requires crossing the traffic flow twice (like the pedestrians have too), but he just went straight across without looking, forcing me to brake on the opposite side of the roundabout. He was lucky it was me on a bike and not a driver that hadn't seen his earlier antics and wasn't fully observant.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I was cycling on the pavement the other day and a pedestrian, having seen me, felt the need to press themselves flat against the wall to allow me to pass... the pavement was a good eight feet wide so plenty of room for them (and me) to carry on as normal, but no... they went for the drama.

D

Deleted member 26715

I was cycling on the pavement the other day and a pedestrian, having seen me, felt the need to press themselves flat against the wall to allow me to pass... the pavement was a good eight feet wide so plenty of room for them (and me) to carry on as normal, but no... they went for the drama.
Sorry about that

Top Bottom