Cycle versus car - false economy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Whenever I have tried riding on a bus route in a town/city then I always beat the bus
Even if the traffic is fairly clear
but if the bus stops at most of its stops then the bike will pass it and pull out a lead that the bus can't beat

In my experience - I presume a busy city just makes the bus slower
If you ever manage to draft a double-decker bus, it is one of the greatest cycling experiences known to man. Just know where the bus stops are.

The last time I managed it was with an out-of-service bus and the driver was accommodating (must have been a cyclist); let me tuck in and then accelerated smoothly. 30mph up a slight hill is not hard when there's no air resistance.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Hence my continued occasional use of taxis!
My issue isn't so much the actual weather or even the darkness, but rather the conditions underfoot/underwheel of the tracks I use to get there - although they are tarmaced or compacted stone, they mainly run through woodland so despite being quite sheltered from the worst of the weather, they can be VERY slippery/slimy with leaves etc, which I consider is best avoided when heavily-laden with a week's shopping.
That's fair - I'm similar to an extent although I struggle in the cold and rain (certainly not helped by my lack of approrpriate clothing currently). It sounds like you have a potentially great run to the shops but I know what mean about traction; all my tyres are relatively slick and offer very little grip on mud or wet leaves. The consequences of a low-speed off could be a lot worse with panniers packed with crushable content too!

You could literally write an entire book about this subject.
Indeed - seemed like a relatively simple comparison to start with; I'm glad I'm not the only one who recognises how complex-a-subject it is!

I use my bike for some shopping in decent weather
But I don;t if I need a lot of space or need stuff that will end up as a lot of weight
basically it needs to fit into my paniers - which as a pain to put on - and my backpack

In summer this comes to about 1 or 2 trips a week - including Tesco and the Farm shops plus one extra trip in the car for heavy and bulky things like Cornflakes and loo rill etc
OK - I could buy small packs of stuff but then I end up paying more and/or miss out on multi-buy options - whcih changes the financial economy figures a lot

In my case it is not car or bike - I need both unless we make big changes to our life - like not not looking after grandkids and picking them up from school (30 minutes away on the Motorway!)
Hence we need the car anyway so the only cost of using it for shopping is fuel - wear and tear is mostly used up in travelling to see family (see above) and holidays

The bike is actually optional - it is an ebike and so cost over £1000 - currently would cost about £2000 to replace.
Economically that is not justified in terms of fuel saving for a 5 minute trip to Tesco - I would be better off cutting out trips to farm shops and JUST shopping at Tesco - the farm shops are 5-6 times as far away.
I have the ebike so I can save a bit of money using it - and I prefer it - but the main point if reducing carbon foot print where possible
Sounds similar to the rides I'm getting used to doing (at least until the weather turns really grotty).

Fair point about the better value / bulky items; I don't eat cereal and we get bogroll delivered in bulk to the house so that's not an issue. Plus I'm only shopping for myself / the old dear to a small extent (and often pop to the supermarket on the way home from work in the car as it's en-route), so typically a shop on the bike isn't huge.

I agree about the car; I'd not want to be without one (and would really struggle tbh) but aspire to a more "Dutch" attitude to transport - i.e. using the most appropriate option for the journey in hand and not by default getting in the car when you have to cart your sorry, lazy, bioted carcass more then three feet.. as seems to be the British way :rolleyes:

Fair point about the short journey to Tesco - although bear in mind that "5 minutes round the corner" in the car is about as bad as it gets from the perspective of wear / fuel economy / pollution...

Not really. The problem with car ownership is that all those costs are incurred whether I drive to work or not. My tyres generally need replacing due to age, not wear. There is a small increase in depreciation but an extra 8,400 miles in 3 years doesn't have a huge impact.
Indeed; although depending on how many miles you do there may be break points regarding servicing costs and of course (unlike the tyres) the life of a lot of components is directly related to the amount they're used.

Love the thread!

20 years ago, I used to reckon on 10 miles to the Mars bar

..before shrinkflation
Cheers - maybe we should push for that as an appropriate metric for inflation; rather than the massaged rubbish our overlords attempt to palm us off with!

For me there's no way of comparing costs.

Drive to work and it's 3.5 miles each way direct (due to fuel costs) to a mostly sedentary office based job.
Cycle to work it's generally a 25 mile round trip as there's no fuel to pay for and I can get some fresh air/exercise and take in a bit of countryside before & after the mostly sedentary office based job

Shopping
Most of the shops I use are up to 2.5 miles direct by car with Aldi being a 15 mile round trip.
Going by bike I make the local shops part of a 10+ mile route and the Aldi can be part of a 50k route (as it was yesterday). Also going by bike there's limited carrying capacity so I don't buy unneccessary bits as I can't generraly get them home.

Then how do you put a monetary value on the health benefits - both mental & physical - of cycling?
Absolutely - I like to quantify the benefits of things and money's always a factor, so it's natural that I'd seek to justify more cycling for utility in this way. Really though as you suggest, for me any financial beneftit is a thin vineer over the real reason of trying to maintain (or at least slow the decline of) my mental and physical health by giving me a reason to get out on days I'd otherwise not feel like a leisure ride.

Buying an appropriate cycle has also given me something to work towards as well as a bike that's a lot more versatile since it's already a bit tatty, so again I'm happier to take it out under circumstances I'd not wish to use the nicer / more expensive gear.

@wafter

A very interesting and refreshingly different thread.

1f642.png

Right up there with your Genisis write-up thread.
Thanks!

Tbh I wasn't expecting it to be as popular as it's turned out to be.. was really just a half-arsed musing after a few drinks of an evening :tongue:

I don't think food consumption need to be increased if you are just cycling unless it an endurance ride or a race. The body is remarkably tolerant. If it's hot day maybe water and that's it. I know that when I do recreational rides where distance is involved and a cake or pie is consumed I know that it is not replacement for energy lost but pure pleasure. All I actually need is liquid and I will be none the worse. Unless we are talking abut 30 miles or more.

I alway considered fuel cost savings, impact on ecosystems etc are just unplanned bonus. Just the thrill of riding even to the supermarket is enough. I am much fitter for it. I also tend to take different routes for variety.
Obviously effects will be more or less obvious depending on the individual, diet, distances etc but the energy you expend has to come from somewhere - be that fat reserves (with associated weight loss) or cake :tongue:

As above I'm similar - the financial argument is just one small part of an over-arching desire to use the bike more for all the right reasons :smile:

If you ever manage to draft a double-decker bus, it is one of the greatest cycling experiences known to man. Just know where the bus stops are.

The last time I managed it was with an out-of-service bus and the driver was accommodating (must have been a cyclist); let me tuck in and then accelerated smoothly. 30mph up a slight hill is not hard when there's no air resistance.
Aye; have managed that once or twice - always find that you need to be a bit too close for comfort to reap all of those mad aero gainz though :laugh:

Petrichorwheels

Not for me. I make my own beer at a cost of about 40p a pint (for ingredients) plus electric... Not certain fuelling cycling with beer is such a great idea though.

at risk of a divert, is it any good?
Declaration - I take my beer and coffee more seriously than my (non competitive) cycling.

Petrichorwheels

I invested in a luggage block and a Kanga rack for the front, and have a large sturdy rectangular wire crate thing for the back, which I attach with reusable cable ties. Brilliant - the front block keeps all the weight on the frame and the rear crate thing means I can fill it up then bungie anything bulky (like a large pack of loo rolls) on the top of it. Sometimes I'm so well-loaded I could almost lean back on my shopping if I wished ... I also use the crate thing when I'm taking my knitting machine out and about; its plastic tool box of accessories fits snugly into the crate and the machine itself gets bungeed on width wise; stops the accessory box from bouncing about too much! I just have to be extra careful going through some of the ridiculous bike barriers round here.

great - am sure am not alone in wanting to see a pic of this mysterious "knitting machine" loaded on the bike.

Petrichorwheels

Sadly I think I'm one of those.. have been consistently putting on weight and often the immediate hunger post-ride is enabled by the endorphines and feeling of virtue for having got out.
Yep - I used to do that a lot - hit the alcohol and comforting stodge/junk on getting back.
I never did the calcs but am pretty sure that my post ride bingeing input substantially more calories than I had burned.
Remember that cycling is just so damn ***ing energy efficient.
These days I try to restrain myself, skip the alcohol, hop into bed before I give in to temptation.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Yep - I used to do that a lot - hit the alcohol and comforting stodge/junk on getting back.
I never did the calcs but am pretty sure that my post ride bingeing input substantially more calories than I had burned.
These days I try to restrain myself, skip the alcohol, hop into bed before I give in to temptation.

Indeed... sadly I'm at a similar point currently :sad:

Jameshow

Veteran

Nope never done that!🤣🤣🤣
Like I can train for a race for weeks being careful about what I eat, then afterwards I eat a couple of horses!

at risk of a divert, is it any good?
Declaration - I take my beer and coffee more seriously than my (non competitive) cycling.

I'm told you'd be hard pushed to tell it's not commercial.

great - am sure am not alone in wanting to see a pic of this mysterious "knitting machine" loaded on the bike.

The machine packs into a boring cardboard box which itself goes into a black binbag for weather/damp protection so there's nothing much to see. It's what's known as a plastic-bed machine so it only weighs a few kg (maybe about 5kg?) even with all its accessories; there is no way I would even try to carry a metal-bed machine on a bike rack. They are very heavy (20 - 30kgs) and very long and narrow - over a metre long, about 9" wide and 4 or so inches deep; the plastic-bed one splits in half and fits neatly into its box which is 23" long by 14" wide and about 6" deep. I currently have it set up in my bedroom and am knitting stripey Christmas elf hats; I've just bought some large jingle bells to sew onto the ends of them, more interesting than pompoms.

Petrichorwheels

The machine packs into a boring cardboard box which itself goes into a black binbag for weather/damp protection so there's nothing much to see. It's what's known as a plastic-bed machine so it only weighs a few kg (maybe about 5kg?) even with all its accessories; there is no way I would even try to carry a metal-bed machine on a bike rack. They are very heavy (20 - 30kgs) and very long and narrow - over a metre long, about 9" wide and 4 or so inches deep; the plastic-bed one splits in half and fits neatly into its box which is 23" long by 14" wide and about 6" deep. I currently have it set up in my bedroom and am knitting stripey Christmas elf hats; I've just bought some large jingle bells to sew onto the ends of them, more interesting than pompoms.

Ok. Pics of evil elf hats.
Would be a ready market on cyclechat i reckon.
On binbag i think i would invest in a big drybag (check out planetx), lots of weather in your parts.

Following news of the rail strike this Dec I had to cancel a rail trip to Stansted Airport and book a taxi instead. The taxi will cost about the same as the 3 advanced tickets with pickup at my door and, with no taxi cost to the station may even be cheaper!.
Car vs Train is a sad comparison.

presta

Guru
This is for a 69kg person, based on the additional calorie consimption over and above sedentary behaviour, and a food cost of £1.20/1000kcals, which is the average for my diet as of April 2022. (My food expenditure appears to be well below the figures I've seen bandied around at various times.)

1670287701579.png

Some - yes; all - no! :okay:

Nearly all of my utility journeys are done by bike or on foot. .... I don't eat extra to fuel any of them.
Care to produce some evidence for that?

Suppose I drive my car 100 miles without stopping to fill the tank, does that prove it hasn't used any petrol? No, of course it doesn't.
Suppose I drive 10 miles on alternate days, and 90 miles on each day in between. If I stop and buy 50 miles-worth of petrol every day, does that prove the car will go 90 miles on the same amount of fuel it takes to travel 10 miles? No, of course it doesn't.
But that's exactly the same logic that you're applying to the bike. The point is if you stop driving 90 miles on alternate days, and drive 10 miles every day instead, your average daily mileage will have gone from 50m/day to 10m/day, and the amount of fuel you have to put in the tank will also have gone down accordingly.
Unless you're getting markedly lighter with each trip to the shops you must be fuelling yourself somehow, though ;)
Exactly.
And even if you are getting lighter, the journey is still being fuelled by fat that originally came from food, just like the car that's getting lighter if you don't stop for petrol.
Your assumption is that those who cycle instead of drive eat more than those who drive. But I don’t think that is proven.
I've given you the proof, you just choose to ignore it. The ACSM compendium is a peer reviewed data source that has been compiled from actual measurements of metabolic rate for over 800 everyday activities, specifically for the purpose of calculating the energy used. It's a standard reference that's been in use worldwide for nearly 30 years.
I AM getting lighter, but wouldn't notice it after a single trip to the local Lidl or Aldi...
You've just admitted that you ARE using energy to get to Aldi, there.
The lighter you are the lower your basal metabolic rate.
Yes, you're absolutely right, and if you'd taken the trouble to calculate by how much, you'd see that it's trivial compared to the energy used by cycling. A 70 kg rider cycling 220 miles at 12mph (~6METs) will burn off about 1kg of fat (7800kcals), and in so doing will knock 14 kcals of his BMR. That 14 kcals is enough to take him 0.4 miles.
Unless I have missed something no one has factored in the cost of the bike in the calculation
The cost of the bike/car/insurance/mot etc are only relevant if you're proposing to give one of them up altogether. Most people will want to own both and just be deciding which one to use, and which one to leave at home.
on average, cyclists increase their calorie consumption by a fraction of the energy we expend cycling. How big a fraction I could only speculate on.
Either the fraction is 100%, or the cyclist will lose weight over the long term.
I also ignore the cost of taking a hot shower and the carbon footprint impact of farts.
It's the emissions from agriculture you need to be looking at, they account for 26% of all greenhouse gases.
I absolutely do eat more as a result of cycling. My typical daily energy consumption is in the region of a couple of thousand kcalories when doing nothing very energetic. For the 24 hours after a 100+km ride that will be more in the four to five thousand kcalorie range, or even more for particularly long rides. That's a reliable effect which I measured/recorded a few years ago, just out of interest. My mass is stable and generally at, or a little below where I'd like it to be. If I didn't eat a good bit more after cycling I'd shrink, and I don't wish to shrink. It's a really clear, measurable effect for 'long' rides; clearly less obvious for shorter, 'utility' rides, but the energy still has to come from somewhere.
This. It's bleedin' obvious, innit. ^_^
Since my health put paid to exercise I'm eating less than 2000kcals/day, but when I was riding regularly it was about 3300, and on a 50m/day cycle tour 4500-5000. I've seen off as much as 7000 kcals in big day's ride.
On a similar note I read an interesting article a few years back which was suggesting ebikes were better for the environment than bicycles because the energy required to grow/farm/process/transport food was higher than that required to make a battery and keep it charged. Obviously I've paraphrased and didn't check the accuracy of their arguments but it does make you think.

View attachment 668709
You can multiply that cycling figure by several times over.
I vaguely recall a tabloid article claiming driving was better than cycling a few years back.
It can be, it depends what you're comparing with what:
1670291074978.png

Turned out they assumed the car driver was in the most efficient car on the market, shared with 4 other people, and the cyclist was consuming Wagyu fillet steak for their calories...
If you go for a ride then fill up with a Big Mac on the way home, then your ride was powered by (mostly) beef, and your ride will have produced about the same emissions as a big 4x4.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Either the fraction is 100%, or the cyclist will lose weight over the long term

Yes, that's the point. They will lose weight, and then because they are lighter, metabolise less when not cycling than they otherwise would. So it's not 100%.

Unless you believe cyclists have the same weight as non cyclists, this must be true.

Top Bottom