Cycle / Zebra crossing - rules?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
I live in the country so don’t have much to do with cycle lanes - but the one we have near here has give way markings on the lane if it wants you to stop - like I said I am quite willing to admit I know nothing

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Road features need to be intuitive, not all motorists / cyclists / pedestrians in the UK have read the latest edition of the British Highway Code or are even English speaking. What for example are the priorities of a raised section of the road without markings which to pedestrians look like a footpath and to drivers look like a speed bump?
Undefined in law, so first come first served in practice. What's worse, the UK paints triangles on the edges of speed humps that look like upside-down give-way markings from other countries! So some may be expecting cyclists turning off a hump crossing to give way to users of that carriageway, but not those continuing on a cycleway... Very confusing but at least it means most foreign drivers slow down!

Road users are expected to keep up to date with code changes and ignorance is no defence. The alternative is being unable to introduce any new road designs or rules and being stuck with things from the 1960s.

Last edited:
I used one of these parallel zebra crossings every day. The lead in has zero visibility due to a high hedge and a curve in the road. You have to approach and stop every time, not just blast over ( are you listening kids!). Drivers are generally pretty good about stopping and I haven't had any problems.

PK99

Legendary Member
I used one of these parallel zebra crossings every day. The lead in has zero visibility due to a high hedge and a curve in the road. You have to approach and stop every time, not just blast over ( are you listening kids!). Drivers are generally pretty good about stopping and I haven't had any problems.

Just like a Pedestrian on the same crossing then.

At all crossings. When using any type of crossing you should
  • always check that the traffic has stopped before you start to cross or push a pram onto a crossing
  • always cross between the studs or over the zebra markings. Do not cross at the side of the crossing or on the zig-zag lines, as it can be dangerous.
You MUST NOT loiter on any type of crossing.
Laws ZPPPCRGD reg 19 & RTRA sect 25(5)

Zebra crossings. Give traffic plenty of time to see you and to stop before you start to cross. Vehicles will need more time when the road is slippery. Wait until traffic has stopped from both directions or the road is clear before crossing. Remember that traffic does not have to stop until someone has moved onto the crossing. Keep looking both ways, and listening, in case a driver or rider has not seen you and attempts to overtake a vehicle that has stopped.

Top Bottom