CycleChat's cycling twonk of the year

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RhythMick

Über Member
I fixed a puncture at home and rode to work across London. Carrying the bike up the stairs, the front wheel dropped off. I had forgotten to tighten the QR skewer.
I have one similar. Bought my shiny new Brompton from Evans, and my shiny new hub dynamo set. Quickly and easily installed at home. Only discovered while going over a bumpy footbridge over Exeter Quay that I hadn't tightened the front skewer - bits dropped in water. Fortunately not critical bits, had to make do with a nut and washers.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Only last Monday. I'd done a big ride in York the day before, and rather than stay and have Sunday dinner with the family at the MIL's I told them I had to be in for work at 7 the next day. I therefore drove home, snatched a sandwich and went to bed. Dragged my weary carcass out of bed at five the next morning and cycled to work. I walked into my office after a shower and change to find a colleague looking at me puzzled. "Thought I was covering earlies" he said. A quick check of the duties computer showed that I was scheduled to start at 3pm. :blush:

Idoru

My latest claim to idiocy...

Thinking to myself "I'll get up early to ride in the morning as I'm working late a lot". So I dutifully got up and headed out of the door at sparrow fart. 10 minutes in I'm thinking "sheesh, I'm really not a morning person this is hard!". An hour of sweating and grunting later I freewheel to a stop and realise I hadn't freewheeled as far as I would have expected to... got off the bike and spotted that the rear brake had been rubbing from the start. :whistle:

Dan B

Disengaged member
First time I used clipless pedals I thought "I know, I'll leave the cleats loose on the shoes until I've worked out what angle they should be at". Had to take my shoes off to detach myself from the bike

Last edited:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I think this twonk thread could run and run.

About fourteen years ago my wife bought me my first pair of spd pedals, and I fitted them to my Cannondale Jekyll 2000, I took them out for a test ride round the tracks of Richmond Park. All was going very well and as I approached a junction I saw a bloke having a break standing by a tree, he had exactly the same bike as me. So checking his bike out and acting all cool like, I came to a standstill ready to cross the junction. I forgot to take out my feet off the pedals, I went over like DelBoy through the bar hatch in OFAH. What a Twonker.

I got up dusted myself off like it happens all the time tried not to look embarrassed and rode off, my wife pissing herself laughing.

_aD

Do not touch suspicious objects
Many moons ago I was out with my cycling mate doing some local tracks and trails that we hadn't yet plumbed. After almost being thrown off my bike from a startled pheasant taking flight launching from the hedge next to me, we took a turn down a concrete road back to areas familiar. It was dusk and we'd decided to put on the lights once we reached the road. I was ahead by five seconds down the lovely long run and then suddenly noticed the gate across the road, whilst doing about 30mph. The steel gate across the concrete road at dusk*, which was practically invisible.

aD: Oh shiGATE!*CRASH*
Five seconds later...
Grah: Whatthegate*CRASH*

One of my reflectors broke off. How we didn't break our bikes and ourselves I'll never know. I hit that gate pretty hard and Grah joined me, quite literally.

We still get a good laugh from being gated :-)

* Yes, we had inadvertently detoured off public land, it seemed

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
First time I used clipless pedals I thought "I know, I'll leave the cleats loose on the shoes until I've worked out what angle they should be at". Had to take my shoes off to detach myself from the bike
Tee hee, a cleat variation is to engage the shoe to the cleats by hand to see how the mechanism works. Then you realise how hard it is to disengage a shoe from cleats. And you end up putting your shoes on again to get them off the bike.

akb

Veteran
Not cycling related per se, but we have a pram for our 10 month old which uses a tube / tyre set up.

Tip of the day: clean the tyre wall before inflating. A '8' looks very similar at a glance to an '3'. Therefore getting pump happy with a track pump and inflating the tyre to 80 psi and not the recommended 30 psi results in an inquisitive call from the mrs, whilst shes halfway round a 2 mile dog walk with a completely shattered tyre! Oops! :laugh: Was quite surprised she got that far tbh!

Top Bottom