CycleChatters' Cafe Recommendation Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I may have mentioned The Varini before but as we're riding there tomorrow.....

https://www.thevarini.co.uk/

Lovely people, fantastic ethically sourced coffee, good food. Limited cycle parking and best visited in groups no more than four. It would be a shame to overwhelm the limited space with sweaty cyclists.

The Varini were an Anglo-Saxon tribe from the 1st century.

Chislenko

Veteran
Never been in this place myself but rode past many times and always a lot of cyclists outside. Anyway it is up for sale.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/north-wales-cafe-cyclists-voted-26446698

Chislenko

Veteran
Nooooo ! That's my regular!
First the Mills and now Cleo's!
Hopefully they'll get a suitable buyer.

Have sat on the seats by the war memorial many times having a drink (and a smoke!) but never ventured in there. Always looks busy, particularly with cyclists whereas the cafe on the opposite corner is always empty!

I may have to try it before it changes hands.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
The Horsebox in Worsley next to the Bridgewater canal. Absolutely fantastic coffee and cakes. My daughters love the milkshakes and iced coffees

738F97D1-8156-42EF-804A-8166DB07EFEB.jpeg

E5F26584-0EDD-4A2E-8B17-8104AB45E348.jpeg

618963DF-91A6-4EC2-B7C1-3E7455AB0118.jpeg

Chislenko

Veteran
Stopped at Clwyd Bakery, Talacre this morning. No indoor seating but three big tables outside.

Crusty Bacon Roll @ £3.50 and if you have said roll your coffee is complimentary, so £3.50 for the lot.

The pies, cakes on offer looked pretty enticing but I resisted as had to cycle back.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Quick update for people. Roots, Catforth, Lancashire has reopened under new management. It's been decorated but otherwise the same as ever. I'm not sure if I've mentioned this before but the Cobbled Corner in Chipping has also reopened. I haven't been in myself and don't know anyone who has. We tend to use the farm shop opposite, mainly because they do belting sausage rolls!!

And another reopening, The Country Kitchen in Waddington. Again I haven't been in.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Quick update for people. Roots, Catforth, Lancashire has reopened under new management. It's been decorated but otherwise the same as ever. I'm not sure if I've mentioned this before but the Cobbled Corner in Chipping has also reopened. I haven't been in myself and don't know anyone who has. We tend to use the farm shop opposite, mainly because they do belting sausage rolls!!

And another reopening, The Country Kitchen in Waddington. Again I haven't been in.

Quite agree on the farm shop in Chipping, good food, great value and nice people. Apparently the Cobbled Corner doesn’t open Sundays which is not much good for me.

Stopped at Clwyd Bakery, Talacre this morning. No indoor seating but three big tables outside.

Crusty Bacon Roll @ £3.50 and if you have said roll your coffee is complimentary, so £3.50 for the lot.

The pies, cakes on offer looked pretty enticing but I resisted as had to cycle back.

Absolute bargain. I shall investigate as I have never been to Talacre for some reason.

Chislenko

Veteran
Absolute bargain. I shall investigate as I have never been to Talacre for some reason.

Just pick a better day than I did yesterday, horrendous headwind all the way there, took 1 hour 40 to get there, 1 hour 5 to get back!!!.

I just did a simple there and back on the coast road, normally if I do that route I will carry on to Rhyl then come back via the old "top road" through Rhuddlan, Dyserth, Holywell etc but the headwind on the way wore me down so took the easy option.

NB. So strong was the wind I collected 27 Strava PB's on the way back including one age group (old bastards) leader 😊😊

Last edited:
Just pick a better day than I did yesterday, horrendous headwind all the way there, took 1 hour 40 to get there, 1 hour 5 to get back!!!.

I just did a simple there and back on the coast road, normally if I do that route I will carry on to Rhyl then come back via the old "top road" through Rhuddlan, Dyserth, Holywell etc but the headwind on the way wore me down so took the easy option.

NB. So strong was the wind I collected 27 Strava PB's on the way back including one age group (old bastards) leader 😊😊

I'm always quite reluctant to use the coast road - isn't it a bit busy? I always head up into the hills but there's some buggers of climbs to get up there.

Good work on the Stravas!

Chislenko

Veteran
I'm always quite reluctant to use the coast road - isn't it a bit busy? I always head up into the hills but there's some buggers of climbs to get up there.

Good work on the Stravas!

In the week the coast road is relatively quiet and once past Flint pretty open. Agree about the climbs, Bagillt up to Holywell is a particular b--tard of a climb!!

Top Bottom