CycleChatters' Cafe Recommendation Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A new one for me this morning, must have passed it thousands of times but never knew it was there! They have now put a sign on the main road telling you they have a cafe. For those local it is on the road back from Farndon to Chester.

I know this link is for a gym but the cafe is a part of the gym. Indoor and outdoor seating and a bike rack. A bog standard Americano at £2.75. Really nice spot away from the main road. Didn't have food so can't comment on quality / price etc.

https://www.aptitudehealth.co.uk/

Called Hideaway (well because it's...)and is very good, not quite perfect as it's a bit too gym food, but panini, toast etc available

A Chester Greenway cafe I visited today (Mon-Wed only) at St Bart's church at the sealand end of Seahall Rd (from Saughall) is good and cheap (full English £6 Inc tea/coffee). signposted from the Greenway.

Noting all of these down.
We had to forego a stop at Lock Gates at the weekend because it was full. Well there were three tables empty but they'd been reserved.
Nice cafe but not enough space inside.

Did see a sign for a lakeside cafe at Coddington that will be getting a visit soon.

Manor Wood caravan park I assume, pretty reliable but not been this year yet - Lost Barn near Tilston is my latest favourite.

That's the one. Love Lost Barn - only found it last year but it's like a Grand Designs for cafes.

Apparently the Ice Cream Farm will have a little picnic area for cyclists - order at your table. But don't beat me to it ! I've baggsied it for a sunny day.

Chislenko

Veteran
Manor Wood caravan park I assume, pretty reliable but not been this year yet - Lost Barn near Tilston is my latest favourite.

Not been to that one, Lost Barn, I will put it on the list.

Edit. Just looked at what people are eating, looks a bit arty farty for my cultured palette 🙂

Last edited:

Chislenko

Veteran
A Chester Greenway cafe I visited today (Mon-Wed only) at St Bart's church at the sealand end of Seahall Rd (from Saughall) is good and cheap (full English £6 Inc tea/coffee). signposted from the Greenway.

Thanks Neil for putting a name to the gym cafe, I couldn't find a name on it!

St. Bart's I won't be going to on a bike ride... it's only a mile from home so couldn't justify a breakfast after a mile!!

Have been going to the Old Chapel in Saltney Ferry last few weeks (for meetings not bike rides, again too close to home) but it is nice inside and food and drink is good.

Alex321

Veteran
I don't tend to stop very much, with most of my rides being solo and under two hours, but I have taken lately to stopping at Café Velo in Llantwit Major if the timing is suitable (they are open 10 until 3 daily).

A small café, very much oriented towards cyclists. They have a rack of locks inside the door for you to borrow, plus some tools and a pump, and a variety of cycling clothing and other items for sale, in addition to the food (just cakes I think!) and drinks.

And a very friendly attitude.

https://www.facebook.com/cafvelo/?locale=en_GB

Not been to that one, Lost Barn, I will put it on the list.

Edit. Just looked at what people are eating, looks a bit arty farty for my cultured palette 🙂

We just had cake. That was pretty normal. The coffee is very nice - I think they started off as a coffee roaster - wasted on me really - I'm happy with instant !

Chislenko

Veteran
Noting all of these down.
We had to forego a stop at Lock Gates at the weekend because it was full. Well there were three tables empty but they'd been reserved.
Nice cafe but not enough space inside.

Did see a sign for a lakeside cafe at Coddington that will be getting a visit soon.

The one at Coddington is a lovely place to sit outside, weather dependent, again only had coffee there so can't comment on the food. Seems to be a regular haunt for the Graham Weigh liveried Cycling Club.

Jameshow

Veteran
Ok, so technically it ain't a cafe, it's a burger van with seating!!

However a decent toasted bacon sarnie and a coffee for £3.80. Very pleasant ladies serving.

The only downside for me is that as the crow flies it is barely seven mile from my house. I had to do a big detour (42 mile) to warrant going there!

https://g.co/kgs/bCrMUQ

Simalar bacon buttie / burger van on Leeds Liverpool canal dockfeild rd, Shipley.
Good bacon and burgers.

bruce1530

Guru
A new one for me today. Just opened this week. "Doon the Beach", a new community cafe in Stevenston. Open 7 days, 9-5. (sun 10-4)
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100086453958734

Nice coffee, good bacon rolls, and friendly staff.

In the beach park.

And it's close to the National Cycle Network, NCN78. If you're following NCN78 west from Kilwinning towards Ardrossan, when you come into Stevenston you go through a park, turn onto a road through the town, cross the level crossing then immediately turn right along the sea wall. If you go straight ahead when you cross the level crossing the cafe is about 400m further on.

Top Bottom