CycleChatters' Cafe Recommendation Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
I'm just going to the cafe that's on my route. An extra £1 or so isn't going to break the bank.

I remember club members complaining about club subs going up by £5 a year.

Whilst wearing Oakley glasses and riding top of the range bikes.
Cyclists we’re grumpy and hard to please . I recall a conversation many years ago with an exasperated club secretary “they turn up on *£1000 bikes and then moan about the price of the beans on toast at the cafes I take them too” .
*edit This was when I and other club cyclists were on £500/600 bikes.

Last edited:

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Sadly not recommendations but a heads up on two closures - Green Jersey Clitheroe closes today and Cafe Milano Scarisbrick closed last Friday. Soaring energy and supply costs and reduced customer numbers.

We will see more and more of this. It's a vicious circle. I must admit I contribute to the problem. I started a self-imposed budget of £5 for a cafe stop three months ago. My household needs to budget. We'll be OK but something has to give. On top of all the household stuff last February I booked a month in California for this October/November when the £ to $ was 1.36. Something has to give.

Happened recently in East Yorkshire / Driffield, the 'Bike Cave' shop and café closed down, shop has gone mobile / repairs - servicing to survive :huh:

Last edited:
I also think Paul that being from a certain generation we don't like being "ripped off"

When you were taught, as I was, the value of money from an early age it sort of stays with you.

And yes, nowadays I could easily afford an expensive coffee but I ain't forgot where I came from.

Are you being ripped off though or are you expecting cafés to keep their prices at 1980s prices with the expenses of 2022?

With more businesses closing - things are tough out there.

Use them or lose them!

Chislenko

Veteran
On the cafe pricing subject, went to a cafe today that I thoroughly enjoyed three months ago.

A bacon buttie and a coffee for £5.50, not out of the way price wise and a very good buttie.

Stopped there on today's ride, just three months later, same order £7.00!!.

Will probably be my last visit there.

On the cafe pricing subject, went to a cafe today that I thoroughly enjoyed three months ago.

A bacon buttie and a coffee for £5.50, not out of the way price wise and a very good buttie.

Stopped there on today's ride, just three months later, same order £7.00!!.

Will probably be my last visit there.

Just use some of your pensioners heating allowance ? It's not like you need to keep hold of that is it ?

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
Got to be the cheapest cafe stop we will find this winter.......................

ASDA offer over 60s unlimited tea, soup and roll for £1 during November and December

Oh it's good to be a pedalling pensioner
Oh dear , I’m 68 but still look so young and vibrant I won’t be able to use the offer . :angry:

Last edited:

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
@PaulSB On a serious note , thanks this offer will really help. That’s Mrs JK’s birthday lunch sorted .
Well I have just bought a new bike and savings have too be made somewhere.

Where would you happily / securely leave your bike though when going into an Asda cafe?

ALthough it is useless for the offer - because the ASDA cafe is a McDonalds - I have often left my ebike outside on the bike parking thingy with the metal loops
One Kryptonite u-lock and a decent cable lock - and in a place with a lot of people around

not so keen on the one at Morrisons because it is round the corner from where all the people go

Also - at ASDA the bike parking is right opposite the cash machines - and hence is covered by the CCTV
I was rather annoyed to find the same thing at Tesco is not covered by CCTV - whcih I think should be a normal thing - plus some signs about it!!!

maybe we should start a campaign??

Top Bottom