CycleChatters' Cafe Recommendation Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
This weekend's Cafe was Box Hill cafe at the top of the mighty Box Hill. Famous for creating a decisive split in the 2012 Olympic men's road race. For ordinary cyclists it's a nice gentle climb in beautiful surroundings with great views. In 2012 I watched the women's race there and then watched Marianne Vos outsprint Lizzie Armitstead (as she then was) on a big screen.

Really nice cafe with loads of outside seating, bike racks, water for bottle filling and toilets. I had a coffee and a piece of really good bread pudding.

It was very busy with cyclists. If you're one of those people who gets into a fury at the sight of Rapha or Le Col or other branded cycle clothing then best avoid or you will have an apoplectic fit. Lots of very sporty bikes and gear on show.

I thought I'd taken some photos, but when I got home and checked my phone, I hadn't. Because I am an idiot.

Edit. So here's a picture of Marianne Vos on the big screen 10 years ago.
1650871117704.png

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
The Snug in Atherton. First time today. Superb coffee, tremendous Victoria sponge and an excellent cheese and chutney toasty. I wish this place was closer to home, I think evenings would be fantastic.

http://www.thesnug.live/

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Last weekend was the Rodmersham Coffee Shop in Rodmersham Green, near to Sittingbourne in Kent.

A really nice coffee shop, friendly staff, and good bread pudding. Unfortunately I got there just after a cycling club and they took all the nice seats outside. Bloody cyclists. This also meant I had a fair wait for my coffee - not bad service, they were just very busy.

No photos. The happy cyclists were all taking pictures of each other. I thought it would be a bit weird if a complete stranger joined in.

https://www.rodmershamvcs.co.uk/about

Trying to extend my routes a bit - North of Frodsham way - possibly up by Little Leigh, but north of the River Weaver anyway.
Only thing stopping us is I can't seem to find any decent cafe stops ?

Any locals know of any round there ? Nothing on the Wiggle cafe map but there's loads of cyclists round there so they must exist.

I have looked on the Weaver Valley CC site and they have cafes listed but nothing in the right area. There is a gap around the A49/M56 area.

Ta.

Screenshot 2022-07-18 3.48.02 PM.png

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Trying to extend my routes a bit - North of Frodsham way - possibly up by Little Leigh, but north of the River Weaver anyway.

Any locals know of any round there ? Nothing on the Wiggle cafe map but there's loads of cyclists round there so they must exist.

I have looked on the Weaver Valley CC site and they have cafes listed but nothing in the right area. There is a gap around the A49/M56 area.

Ta.

View attachment 653360

Stopped at this place near Davenham a couple of weeks ago, very good.

https://sites.google.com/riversideorganic.co.uk/riversideorganic

Ta.

View attachment 653360

Used to be a nice on in Phoenix park in Runcorn , very close to the Bridgewater Canal- seems to have closed down but worth keeping an eye
out

Otherwise - Spike Island in Widnes has a cafe and the location is great - always seem to be some cyclists there
Don't use it myself as it is too close to home

Chislenko

Veteran
A first today, Lakeside Cafe which is part of this Caravan Park.

https://www.cheshirecaravansites.co.uk/

Lovely surroundings but three notes for a bog standard coffee is a bit rich!

Chislenko

Veteran
I shall note that down. Have you been to the fishing place just down the road from Cleo's at Holt ? Do a nice nap and a good old fashioned instant coffee for not much at all.

Don't know it, I'll have a search for it. Funnily enough I must be the only cyclist who doesn't go to Cleo's!

Chislenko

Veteran
I shall note that down. Have you been to the fishing place just down the road from Cleo's at Holt ? Do a nice nap and a good old fashioned instant coffee for not much at all.

Just looked it up, Commonwood Fishery, I actually cycled past it today and didn't know they had a cafe. Will give it a go.

Just looked it up, Commonwood Fishery, I actually cycled past it today and didn't know they had a cafe. Will give it a go.

I use Strava flybys a lot to see where people are having their coffee stops.
I think the Marford and Rosset gang have stopped there a few times. Lovely location.

Found a great coffee hut in the wilds of North Wales whilst googling last week so planned a ride there Sunday.
Was a great location - by a Holy water well apparently but apparently it was their last day open. I think they're doing air b'n'b now instead. I'll have to look out for another one now !

Top Bottom