CycleChatters' Cafe Recommendation Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I thought this would be the response. Along the lines of:
£2 for a coffee? I can buy a cubic yard of instant coffee powder on eBay for £2 which works out at .001p per cup. Rip off Britain or what. In Yorkshire you can bring your own teabag. I inherited mine from my uncle and it's been fine for 60 years.

I thought it was a great place to stop for a coffee or two.

I thought this would be the response. Along the lines of:
£2 for a coffee? I can buy a cubic yard of instant coffee powder on eBay for £2 which works out at .001p per cup. Rip off Britain or what. In Yorkshire you can bring your own teabag. I inherited mine from my uncle and it's been fine for 60 years.

I thought it was a great place to stop for a coffee or two.
afraid you've missed the point mr trousers - the comments were about the pseudiness/pretentiousness/posing, not about the coffee or cake.

Many folks who stop there won't I presume be aware of that web bilge.

Though if so that would imply that the way they hand over the coffee doesn't actually send out the vibes/magic rays they claim.

Is that a fail?

Who knows?

Chislenko

Veteran
There is a newish cafe in Spike Island, Widnes
Never been there because when I get there I have only just started my ride - but there are nearly always bikes outside and cyclists sitting round drinking coffee (or whatever_ and eating stuff - so it must be good for cyclists

Also - boats and bridges to look at

Going slightly off track Ebiker, have they put a separated bike lane on the old bridge now and if they have do you still end up on a dual carriageway going towards Speke etc?

Going slightly off track Ebiker, have they put a separated bike lane on the old bridge now and if they have do you still end up on a dual carriageway going towards Speke etc?
Yup - there is a very good cycle lane on the old bridge - separate from the walkway and the main road bit
On the Widnes side it leads you onto a shared cycle path.When you get to a toucan crossing you can cross over and carry on down the main dual cartridge on a cycle path until you get to the road to Speke via Hale which starts as a shared cycle path - actually the cycle path crosses over to the 'wrong' side - you find the point where it does this by telepathy - as usual!
However, the road is OK to ride on, esepcially after the old Ditton station

I was asked to leave a costa once, refuse to go through the door of chains but was cold and no other options. I asked for a black coffee, the bloke said americano? I said he could call it Nigel for all I cared as long as it was a black coffee.
I once asked for a 'small latte' and was told they didn't do a 'small'.
So I said 'well which is the least big one?' and the lass behind the counter said snootily, 'there's nonnacino, premalini, grandomezzo and contrabando' or something equally stupid.
So I replied 'which one is the least big of those? I only speak English, German, Russian French and Arabic, sorry - and I wouldn't have come in if I'd've known I had to learn another language just to buy a not-huge milky coffee ...'
A lad behind the counter then interrupted and said 'I don't blame you, the one you want is a 'thingamajob' and he very kindly brought it out to me and whispered 'she's swallowed all the marketing guff, she's new and she'll soon calm down ...'

There is a newish cafe in Spike Island, Widnes
Never been there because when I get there I have only just started my ride - but there are nearly always bikes outside and cyclists sitting round drinking coffee (or whatever_ and eating stuff - so it must be good for cyclists

Also - boats and bridges to look at
Sounds interesting. Do you know the name so I can look it up please?

Chislenko

Veteran
Not sure there is anything to look up - Spike Island is on there.
I couldn't find anything - but I think it is called Zena's Cafe or something like that

I plan to do this trip to Spike Island (from Chester, via Helsby, Frodsham), however from reading the reviews best not to unclip and put your foot down for fear of dog sh-t!!

I plan to do this trip to Spike Island (from Chester, via Helsby, Frodsham), however from reading the reviews best not to unclip and put your foot down for fear of dog sh-t!!
No No No

totally wrong

mostly goose po - especially if it hasn't rained for a while xx(

the cafe seems fine - just ride through a few puddles afterwards to clean your tyres off from the canal banks

Always Cross

Veteran
Just a few cafes I’ve been to while doing the 52 cafe challenge.
Imber church very old and drafty only open 2 or 3 times a year when the MOD opens up Imber.
Honey street Mill at Alton Barnes good cafe.
Stick and Stones at Woodborough good one.
Gonjoo in Melksham opposite Costa Coffee one of the few places I know of that sells baclava good prices very popular with the locals
Rowdy Cow near Devizes good one next to farm shop.
The village shop in Steeple Ashton it’s run as a charity so very good prices tea and cake for £3.50.
Yesterdays was The Old Stables at Castle Combe. Be prepared for hills though as it down in a valley at least you work it off when you leave the cafe. I had a pot of tea and a cinnamon bun nice surprise when the bun came warmed up nice and sticky. They’ve all been put on the map and photos on the 52 cafe challenge thread.

Always Cross

Veteran
Went to The Little Lunch Box in Pewsey good value and they have a track pump for us to use if needed. Added to map with photos on the 52 challenge thread.

Always Cross

Veteran
I’ve found I can only do this on a pc I tried on an iPad but couldn’t do it. You need to be logged into Cycle Chat then go onto the map, at the top of the map should be a tool bar there should be a symbol that looks like a tear drop. You click On where the cafe is then go up and click on the teardrop this should bring up a box where you can enter the cafes name and details click save and you’ve saved it to the map.

theloafer

Legendary Member
sad to hear one of my fav coffee stops is closing :cry::cry:cosy coffee at Brafferton from there FB page

Cozy Coffee

16 February at 15:26 ·

Here goes... I have sadly decided to close Cozy Coffee, many reasons have made this decision, here are some..
7 years ago (maybe after wine!!
1f60a.png
) an idea was formed, Stew would build a shepherds hut and it would be a cafe, unsure of sustainability we gave it a shot. Success, a customer base built, it was great, sadly 2 years later we had an arson attack, generous fund raising showed us you loved it as much as we did, the bus was the rebuild.
Stew's health deteriorated resulting in a kidney transplant, I was his living donor (hurray
1f64f.png
). We both recovered very well then wham bam covid, this massively changed the functionality of CC, we decided when we were able to reopen, to restrict it to outdoor only, this was very unpredictable due to weather. Proving our drunken idea worked we applied to Darlington Borough Council with plans for a new cafe, not massive but enough space to keep everyone distanced safely, well thought out, discreet in the landscape, insulated with efficient heating to enhance the Cozy experience, we were excited.
Unfortunately DBC weren't as excited and after many months of questions and unanswered emails (on their behalf) permission was refused, so much for supporting small businesses, seems unfair and frustrating as we have potential prospect of a multimillion pound road ploughing through our adjacent farmland
1f625.png

The decision has not been taken lightly , (I know the time is right for me) the ups have been amazing and the downs not so amazing but it's been a fun, life enriching experience, many long lasting friendships formed, all down to your constant support, encouragement and custom. So thank you very much, I will be checking in every now and then on this page but for now, take care and keep safe!
2764.png

Top Bottom