CycleChatters' Cafe Recommendation Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chislenko

Veteran
This morning after it being recommended by @cougie uk I decided to give it a go.

https://www.commonwoodleisure.com/

Really nice setting, a tremendous bacon sarnie (he didn't skimp on the bacon!) machine coffee which is fine by me as you do it yourself so you don't face a ten minute grilling on what sort of coffee you want.

The only "downside" of today was that I only did 32 mile there and back and that's not really enough to warrant a bacon sarnie, but hey ho sometimes just a nice leisure ride and a sit out in the sun is justified !

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I went to a nice cafe in Hurstpierpoint in West Sussex last week. I think it may be called Cafe Murano. It's next to the pet shop.

It was a bit weird. It seemed to be half cafe, half bric-a-brac shop. Or maybe the proprietor was a collector of random bits and bobs. No bike parking as it fronts directly on to the high street, but small enough to keep it in view all the time. Nice lemon drizzle cake. Nice coffee. Friendly man filled up my bottle with water on request. But a bit weird.

I think it's open every day apart from Monday. Tables and benches inside the cafe - it's sizeable inside so great for winter. I'd think they'll get some outside benches for the summer though.

Popped in today to Kelsall Cycles as the cafe in Delamere Forest is overrun with holiday makers.

They've now grassed over some of the front and added picnic tables. There's still a bit of seating inside too. They've also got plans for more stuff in the future.

Fantastic location and very friendly. I'll definitely be popping in more often now I know there's outside seating.

Cute dogs working in the shop too.

Attachments

• IMG_20220811_135931.jpg
    IMG_20220811_135931.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 2

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I haven't been in for a while so this one may have been posted already. Anyone who visits Scorton on a bike will know this one. The Priory. It was a regular haunt 10-12 years ago when the owners suddenly made it clear cyclists were no longer welcome. Things have changed and for sometime the cafe has obviously made a real effort. Stopped there yesterday and had the £7.25 deal for coffee, pasty, cake which was good value. Good coffee and pasty and an OK flapjack. Others were happy with their cake and coffee.

geocycle

Legendary Member
I haven't been in for a while so this one may have been posted already. Anyone who visits Scorton on a bike will know this one. The Priory. It was a regular haunt 10-12 years ago when the owners suddenly made it clear cyclists were no longer welcome. Things have changed and for sometime the cafe has obviously made a real effort. Stopped there yesterday and had the £7.25 deal for coffee, pasty, cake which was good value. Good coffee and pasty and an OK flapjack. Others were happy with their cake and coffee.

Thanks for the update. It was a real loss when we were discouraged from using it. I moved across to the Barn or Applestore cafe but the Barn is really a Sunday lunch place.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Today I went to Destination Bike in Box Hill. It's a bike shop that does coffee and cake and has seating and racks outside.
https://destinationbike.co.uk/welcome

Highly recommended and I think nicer than the big National Trust cafe just down the road.

Coffee and a brownie was £5-odd which is fair enough. The coffee was good and the brownie was mega choclatey and lovely. Just before I left I noticed the cool vintage cycling mug that I had been given. Here's Laurent Fignon in his Systeme U kit.

1662232267251.png

Black Dog Delis' at Halesworth and Walberswick :thumbsup:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Sadly not recommendations but a heads up on two closures - Green Jersey Clitheroe closes today and Cafe Milano Scarisbrick closed last Friday. Soaring energy and supply costs and reduced customer numbers.

We will see more and more of this. It's a vicious circle. I must admit I contribute to the problem. I started a self-imposed budget of £5 for a cafe stop three months ago. My household needs to budget. We'll be OK but something has to give. On top of all the household stuff last February I booked a month in California for this October/November when the £ to $ was 1.36. Something has to give.

Chislenko

Veteran
We will see more and more of this. It's a vicious circle. I must admit I contribute to the problem. I started a self-imposed budget of £5 for a cafe stop three months ago. My household needs to budget.

I'm with you on the cafe stop budget and there are certain ones I won't visit.

I seem to remember the hospitality industry having VAT holidays / reductions during COVID but I don't seem to recall them passing this on the consumer.

Even before the energy price hikes a lot of cafes were charging £3.00 for a spoonful of coffee and a bit of hot water so I am struggling to sympathise with some of them.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I'm with you on the cafe stop budget and there are certain ones I won't visit.

I seem to remember the hospitality industry having VAT holidays / reductions during COVID but I don't seem to recall them passing this on the consumer.

Even before the energy price hikes a lot of cafes were charging £3.00 for a spoonful of coffee and a bit of hot water so I am struggling to sympathise with some of them.

Yep, my midweek group of pedalling pensioners has a list of places we will support and those we won't. All we support bar one are £5 budget. The one exception is our favourite cafe where the owner treats us wonderfully. We are definitely friends. We did many rides their in lockdown to support the takeaway and now we will eat there as normal as a thank you for the years of laughter and fun.

Yep, my midweek group of pedalling pensioners has a list of places we will support and those we won't. All we support bar one are £5 budget. The one exception is our favourite cafe where the owner treats us wonderfully. We are definitely friends. We did many rides their in lockdown to support the takeaway and now we will eat there as normal as a thank you for the years of laughter and fun.

I'm just going to the cafe that's on my route. An extra £1 or so isn't going to break the bank.

I remember club members complaining about club subs going up by £5 a year.

Whilst wearing Oakley glasses and riding top of the range bikes.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I'm just going to the cafe that's on my route. An extra £1 or so isn't going to break the bank.

I remember club members complaining about club subs going up by £5 a year.

Whilst wearing Oakley glasses and riding top of the range bikes.

Absolutely take your point but as someone who does three rides a week it's closer to £7.50-10.00 a week. £500/750 a year. That does make a difference.

Chislenko

Veteran
Absolutely take your point but as someone who does three rides a week it's closer to £7.50-10.00 a week. £500/750 a year. That does make a difference.

I also think Paul that being from a certain generation we don't like being "ripped off"

When you were taught, as I was, the value of money from an early age it sort of stays with you.

And yes, nowadays I could easily afford an expensive coffee but I ain't forgot where I came from.

Top Bottom