CycleChatters - forgive me...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
It's something that has caused me many sleepless nights - a real dilemma, but I could stand it no more.

My trusty Road Comp was fitted with lustrous white bar tape as standard, and is only right it looked awesome.
But the merest touch left mucky marks. Marks that even rigorous scrubbing could not totally shift.
Rain washed away the pristine shine. Gloves leeched colour and ground in the dirt.
Muc-Off, Cif, soapy water, even toothpaste - all have been tried but the relentless slide from pristine white to grotty grey continued.

Eventually it was no good and the only option was to replace the grimy tape with more brand new white bar tape. Excellence was restored, the tape was so bright that I had to wear shades, but only briefly and despite my best efforts the inexorable fade to grey repeated itself.

This was the sorry state this weekend:
IMG_20170416_084947513_HDR.jpg

So, with a heavy heart, I accepted the inevitable.

There was only one solution that would stop the constant eating away at my very soul every time I looked at the bars.
It was the right thing to do, even though it felt so wrong.

Yes CycleChatters, I've gone over to the dark side and have fitted black bar tape....:eek:

IMG_20170418_174652028_BURST000_COVER.jpg

Looks kinda good though, doesn't it? ^_^

alicat

Legendary Member
Yep, been there, done that, got the T-shirt.

vickster

Legendary Member
The black bartape on two of my bikes has been rapidly changed, the other two have never had it and never will while in my possession!

Top Bottom