Cyclemeter or Strava?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
@mjray, or just start you ride from somewhere other than outside you front door, I start it at the end of a track, my bike is a Viking Torino, eminently knick-able (though some people knick owt then find out its value), though I suppose I should take off the 10sp as it gives a clue. However you can't be paranoid all the time about what might happen, there are enough scrotes round here, I don't need strava to give away where I live, in fact chances are from where I start its unlikely you would guess where I lived, also you can trim a ride, though this has draw backs, we all know strava isn't the best for keeping stats, its just a bit of fun, I think most people wouldn't attempt a p.b. in heavy traffic, it is also nice to see, especially when you first start your improving times over long segments, a sprint is one thing but steady improvement is what most of us are looking for, and its difficult to race say 5 miles to or from work, unless you are really fit.
So at the end of the day its just a tool, and like many tools can be used wrongly

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Sure, whatever we post, the Strava apologists can poke holes in. It's not really been around long enough for it to feature in a bike thief's confession on the public record, has it? Bottom line: why would you want to publish your ride details by default, engage in its fakey-racing and hand over your personal data for free? There are better apps and analysis tools.
Strava apologists?!
I suppose that makes you a Strava 'denialist'. :laugh:
Just use the privacy settings to restrict who can see your data and apply multiple 'Privacy Zones' - it's easy. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Strava apologists?!
I suppose that makes you a Strava 'denialist'. :laugh:
Just use the privacy settings to restrict who can see your data and apply multiple 'Privacy Zones' - it's easy. :rolleyes:
Like I suggested in my first post above! :tongue:

Aside from that, nothing wrong with tracking your rides and improvement, but there are far less antisocial apps for that.

howdenbiker

I use Strava purely to record my own rides, it takes the info straight from the Garmin and gives me the info I like to check, I don't race and have no intention of doingso, just like to see some feedback from my rides.
I use Garmin connect as well but sometimes it won't load up rides yet Strava will!

bpsmith

Veteran
Like I suggested in my first post above! :tongue:

Aside from that, nothing wrong with tracking your rides and improvement, but there are far less antisocial apps for that.
What's antisocial about sharing your ride details? The whole basis for Strava is the social element, which allows you to link with other cyclists you may never meet or cross paths with. Lots of other Apps/Sites have tried, but failed to some degree, in comparison.

Not sharing is clearly more antisocial, surely?

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
What's antisocial about sharing your ride details? The whole basis for Strava is the social element, which allows you to link with other cyclists you may never meet or cross paths with. Lots of other Apps/Sites have tried, but failed to some degree, in comparison.

Not sharing is clearly more antisocial, surely?
I think, though I may be wrong of course, that the antisocial aspect is that as soon as any cyclist has strava they immediately start racing down shared use paths kicking old ladies into hedges, running red lights, weaving through traffic at high speeds and punching kittens in the face, it's inevitable.

bpsmith

Veteran
I think, though I may be wrong of course, that the antisocial aspect is that as soon as any cyclist has strava they immediately start racing down shared use paths kicking old ladies into hedges, running red lights, weaving through traffic at high speeds and punching kittens in the face, it's inevitable.
Those who are inclined to do that will always be destined to do that. The rest of us Adults use common sense, with or without Strava!

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I draw the line at running red lights. ;)

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Those who are inclined to do that will always be destined to do that. The rest of us Adults use common sense, with or without Strava!
Ah, but you still advertise your KOMs, Podiums and other rewards for furious cycling in your signature block.

It's not that all Strava users start putting old ladies into hedges, RLJing and punching kittens (and well done any users who refrain from getting caught up in its rat races), but Strava does encourage it. Where are the awards for sensible riding, consistent commuting, interesting tours and so on?

mrbikerboy73

Über Member
I use Strava to track and record my rides, and for my own personal achievements. I don't try and beat my previous times whenever I ride. TBH, I don't really care if I'm faster or slower than last time. And I don't care about trying to be faster than somebody I don't even know. Why would I?
Privacy zones are easy to set up, and no one has been round to steal my bikes yet either!
It's good fun if used properly but like anything, it's open to abuse from idiots too.
Not tried Cyclemeter, sorry!

Ah, but you still advertise your KOMs, Podiums and other rewards for furious cycling in your signature block.

It's not that all Strava users start putting old ladies into hedges, RLJing and punching kittens (and well done any users who refrain from getting caught up in its rat races), but Strava does encourage it. Where are the awards for sensible riding, consistent commuting, interesting tours and so on?
Here https://www.strava.com/challenges/cycling-adventure

outlash

also available in orange
Strava bashing reminds me of pre-ipod Apple, because it was the reserve of creatives and didn't have market domination, it was ok to like them. Now it's a little different, given they make pots of money.

You can get out of Strava what you want. you don't have to sign up for the challenges, segment hunt, engage in 'Banter' over your mate's slower ride. You could, (shock, horror) just record your rides on it.

Tony.

A lot of the challenges are about distance, length of time or height not speed.
Just a few I have joined and either completed or not, most are well in my capabilities, climbing ones are a challenge here usually, these get you to push your limits more in endurance and stamina than speed

@Mugshot
upload_2015-3-30_16-26-12.png

Top Bottom