Cyclemeter or Strava?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Ah, but you still advertise your KOMs, Podiums and other rewards for furious cycling in your signature block.

It's not that all Strava users start putting old ladies into hedges, RLJing and punching kittens (and well done any users who refrain from getting caught up in its rat races), but Strava does encourage it. Where are the awards for sensible riding, consistent commuting, interesting tours and so on?
To be fair to @bpsmith he isn't advertising any KOMs

:whistle:

Strava bashing reminds me of pre-ipod Apple, because it was the reserve of creatives and didn't have market domination, it was ok to like them. Now it's a little different, given they make pots of money.

You can get out of Strava what you want. you don't have to sign up for the challenges, segment hunt, engage in 'Banter' over your mate's slower ride. You could, (shock, horror) just record your rides on it.

Tony.
Only good thing about Apple is Photoshop. Never liked apple products always a bit quirky, I mean a one button mouse, been using Macs since the 80's, I know what I prefer.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've not tried the other but Strava has made me push a little out of my comfort zone. I'm sort of a plodder so it encourages me to actually put some effort in, which has resulted in a little improvement in my speed. It would always be safety first, there is always another day.

Plus it encourages you to look around, perhaps go somewhere else than you have been before. You can see progress which I hadn't noticed before. And I was interested to see I managed to equal one of my QOM's this year without realising at the time, so it wasn't a one off fluke. I rarely go out looking to beat a segment, though I did the other day when I realised I was going to have the wind behind me, it meant I had something positive that day when the rest of the commute was hard work.

bpsmith

Veteran
Ah, but you still advertise your KOMs, Podiums and other rewards for furious cycling in your signature block.

It's not that all Strava users start putting old ladies into hedges, RLJing and punching kittens (and well done any users who refrain from getting caught up in its rat races), but Strava does encourage it. Where are the awards for sensible riding, consistent commuting, interesting tours and so on?
You clearly have no clue about Strava. I can see others have already put you right.

OP
OP
Marc D

Marc D

Hi folks, thanks very much for the feedback. I think I'm going to give it a bash and see what it's like.

One more question. Can I use Strava without the need of a garmin device? I have just purchased a quad lock so I can see my phone whilst I bike so I don't want to be attaching anything else if I can get away with it.

jim55

Guru
^^^^^ this ( the reply NOT the original post)

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Strava doesn't seem to be giving me the data it used to as in were I was ranked in certain sections of my commute / ides and it is suggesting I pay £4.99 a month for extras.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
The Strava app changed recently and some of the data that was available on your mobile is now only viewable on the main website. I consider this to be a backward step.

Last edited:

Steady

Über Member
Hi folks, thanks very much for the feedback. I think I'm going to give it a bash and see what it's like.

One more question. Can I use Strava without the need of a garmin device? I have just purchased a quad lock so I can see my phone whilst I bike so I don't want to be attaching anything else if I can get away with it.

You can.

Before I got my Garmin I was using Endomondo on my phone to track the rides (never liked the Strava app for tracking rides funnily enough) and then exporting the gpx onto Strava from Endomondo).

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
A lot of the challenges are about distance, length of time or height not speed.
Yeah, still all about quantity and an online micturation contest, not quality and enjoyment.

You clearly have no clue about Strava. I can see others have already put you right.
Others have basically confirmed that Strava is exactly what I think it is: another form of contrived competition for people that don't enjoy just cycling, the antithesis of the Slow Bicycle Movement, Freewheeling and similar. The negative externalities (including loss of privacy and encouraging the nutters who do race in inappropriate times/places) don't seem worth it.

bpsmith

Veteran
Yeah, still all about quantity and an online micturation contest, not quality and enjoyment.

Others have basically confirmed that Strava is exactly what I think it is: another form of contrived competition for people that don't enjoy just cycling, the antithesis of the Slow Bicycle Movement, Freewheeling and similar. The negative externalities (including loss of privacy and encouraging the nutters who do race in inappropriate times/places) don't seem worth it.
They don't seem worth it, to You. That's fine. Nobody wants you to use it if you don't want to.

Nobody wants you to have a go about it either though.

Top Bottom