Cyclemeter or Strava?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
No can't be Strava because I've tried that several times and it always tells me off and suggests I might have been driving..... You get lots of segments though... (all private). It's a nice yellow colour till you delete them all!:biggrin:
I left it on accidently once, I swear that somebody had flagged the ride before it was even uploaded!

Yeah, still all about quantity and an online micturation contest, not quality and enjoyment.

Others have basically confirmed that Strava is exactly what I think it is: another form of contrived competition for people that don't enjoy just cycling, the antithesis of the Slow Bicycle Movement, Freewheeling and similar. The negative externalities (including loss of privacy and encouraging the nutters who do race in inappropriate times/places) don't seem worth it.
Then don't part take, its not compulsory, I never see anyone taking risks to get a p.b., I know I don't if I get one so be it if I don't, I don't, I ride because I can, there are many people who can't, how I ride today is different to the reasons I started. I could say a lot about many peoples views of naturism (including many so called), but I generally go by the proviso if they are doing others no harm ect.......

dee.jay

Network Ninja
I like Strava because I'm a stats freak. Veloviewer is even better on top because of the amount of analysis you can get from your rides.

I'm by no means the fastest rider in the world, but I do like to track my progress.

iamRayRay

Quads of Steel
I put on a Cycle session last week as a Run accidentally and got a KOM on a segment (odd as I thought I would have got more segments as KOM) got some serious job from some people following me!

david k

Hi
I prefer endomondo for tracking monthly mileage

kelvecion

I use Strava. Never had any problems with it. Use to use Endomondo but it sapped my battery too quickly.

Barnet Goat

Apologies, I have a serious question! I'm fairly new to this but originally started using cyclemeter on my phone, I then upgraded this so I could transfer the data to Strava on my laptop. Is it possible to just use Strava on my phone and not use cyclemeter at all? Are there any advantages to this, in particular around battery usage or accuracy? I don't have any issues with what I currently do except for longer rides I do have battery problems (i have a very old iphone and do look a the football scores when out so that may be the real problem).

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
Endmondo for me on a Nokia Lumia 510 phone I bought off a friend for £20 (because he upgraded his) I use an external battery power supply I bought from Aldi for £6, a free phone case which I modified to take the phone, power lasts all day, and I enjoy the features that come with Endmondo as I can map the ride, and share it while I'm out and about with friends on Facebook.

Maplin do a number of cheap external power units to prolong the life of your phone battery

Last edited:

jamin100

Guru
I love strava. I track all my rides through my Garmin 800 and then upload them directly to strava (bypassing Garmin connect)

I'm not interested in how fast I am compared to others but I do like to know if I'm getting faster on the bike through certain hilly segments.

Although I do like it when I beat my athletic mates up certain hills :smile:?

Top Bottom