Cycling, a poor mans means of transport!

Is it?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
One of the selling points for many tourist routes is that cyclists place more money in a local economy whenthey pass through than motorists

Cyclopathic

Veteran
What I like about bikes is that if I'm careful I can afford a level of technology and sophistication on a bike that I could never come anywhere near in a car. Also when you consider that £5,000 can buy a person pretty much as much bike as there is (A quick note here that I do realise that it is possible to pay much more than this but I chose this as a sort of optimum after which the laws of diminishing returns on investment will apply and that a ten grand bike is probably not going to be twice the experience of a five grand bike.(Though what do I really know as I've never ridden anything that cost more than a grand when it was new and that wasn't mine)) but to get that much car you'd have to spend tens of thousands.
In short, top of the range is not out of the reach of a lot of people if they have set their mind on it.

subaqua

What’s the point
a similar discussion was had on Thursday in work, when I mentioned I had bought some decent winter riding kit over the weekend. the site secretary asked how much i had spent and when i told her she exclaimed " I thought you cycled cos you was poor" I did explain that the kit would be used for commuting and recreation so fell under hobby rather than travel. once people know there are other reasons apart from financial they start to understand why we cycle.

SomethingLikeThat

Über Member
One of the selling points for many tourist routes is that cyclists place more money in a local economy whenthey pass through than motorists
Yeah, because if you're driving through a town in a car you've got to find somewhere to park and that may be quite far from the main street with all the businesses. In that respect you're quite trapped inside the car whereas on a bike you can just lock it to a railing or something pretty much anywhere you want.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Cycling's poor man image carries a strong cultural stigma in certain countries. The son of my Pakistan agent who is in the UK as a student rang to ask my advice on insurance because he and his four pals were thinking of buying a used 3 series BMW for driving the half mile from halls to college. Having explained that no, he shouldn't drive on a dodgy licence bought in Karachi and that that would not get him cheap insurance anyway - quite the opposite in fact - and having explained that running a £1500 BMW would drain his and his pals' wallets faster than a shopping trip to London, I suggested he considered buying a cheap bike if he disliked walking the ten minutes. I could almost see the sneer on his lips and hear him spit on the floor at the idea of him, a smart young man about town being seen on a bicycle, let alone his friends and family back in Pakistan finding out!

Globalti

Legendary Member
My flippin' wife for one!

imelda_jpg_250x267_q85.jpg

D

Deleted member 23692

How can you say that?? Presumably you belong to this forum because cycling is not just a means of transport? For me it's a means of transport, a hobby, a passion, an obsession......... ^_^
I posted that in the context of the thread title, and believe that to be true.

I belong to this forum because I own 2 bikes, and I also belong to 2 car forums/clubs because I own a car - both means of transport have their strengths and weaknesses, and I don't favour one more than other, nor would I say that either (in my case) is proportional to wealth.

Top Bottom