Cycling, a poor mans means of transport!

Is it?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldspice

Considering you can get bikes from £0 to thousands (if you like high-tech bling) there available to anyone. If a person chooses to pimp there bike, it's there choice! It's there money.

PS I cycle because i like the alone time and public transport is just to ickyxx(

RedRider

Pulling through
Our car cost £40k. I cycle because I enjoy it and it helps me stay trim. Money is not a consideration whatsoever into my transport choice.
I bet it winds you up people assume it's cos you're skint :smile:

Hypothesis: the poor persons' transport image is a reason some don't cycle, especially those with little money to spare.

400bhp

Guru
cycling costs for me are about 10p per mile.

Does that make me poor?

Or make me relatively rich? (think about it)

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
I think that perhaps up to 30 -40 years ago it was exactly that, a poor mans transport. but no longer. these days its seen as a life choice rather than necessity

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I think that perhaps up to 30 -40 years ago it was exactly that, a poor mans transport. but no longer. these days its seen as a life choice rather than necessity
Speak for yourself :smile:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Riding a bike to work saves me £7- £14 a day vs train fare, depending on how you calculate the rail fare. running a car cost a similar amount. Running my commuter is about 7p a mile. Would be less but I like blingy chains and pricey tyres.

As to the survey, well, it is perceived as a poor person's mode of transport and as perceptions are reality....

Cyclopathic

Veteran
The way I see it, although the bicycle can be seen as a cheap means of transport that is not the same as it being transport for the poor man.

In towns/cities, travelling by bicycle it's often easier to get around and there is no hassle with parking, so it may be the logical choice regardless of finances.

Thinking of a utility cyclist as someone who cannot afford a car is a 1960's/70's attitude which is managing to cling on.

With the ever rising price of running a car I'd say it was a use of the bike that is making a come back rather than just hanging on. I have recently bought a trailer so that I can use my bike in a greater variety of ways that would otherwise have needed a car. Obviously I can't carry quite as much as far but it's been useful so far.

Some of the noveau-paupers who ride bicycles:

sir-alan-sugar-cycling.jpg

Boris-Johnson-cycling-in--002.jpg

Bike-Blog--David-Cameron--006.jpg

article-2000262-0C722EC100000578-282_634x680.jpg

Robin_Williams_bicycling_20051030b.jpg

Top Bottom