Cycling, a poor mans means of transport!

Is it?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Current Bike - £250 new + upgrades
Current Trike - £800 2nd Hand
Current Car - £500 8th-hand

400bhp

Guru
Is running an even poorer means of transport?

I guess you need to split an activity into recreation or a means of transport.

Most running is done for recreation. So is a lot of cycling for that matter.

Clearly there is some overlap as well.

I'd class my commute as transport and recreation for example.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I guess you need to split an activity into recreation or a means of transport.

Most running is done for recreation. So is a lot of cycling for that matter.

Clearly there is some overlap as well.

I'd class my commute as transport and recreation for example.

I think there is so much overlap that there is often a complete dual use with cyclists. Even when riding as a means of transport it's also a recreation. Few commuters would say that they cycled purely to get to and from work.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Poor and Wealthy is a term which is relative... Bill Gates would consider himself poor if he lost 80% of his personal fortune, while I would still consider him to be wealthy.
To the man who lives in a cardboard box behind kings cross station anyone with a bed and net connection is wealthy

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Some of the noveau-paupers who ride bicycles:

article-2000262-0C722EC100000578-282_634x680.jpg
Not sure it would be that easy to ride the bikes in the Branson pic as they have ne pedals! :whistle:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
These threads are a bit willy wavey aren't they.

I am not poor because of [insert amount spent on bike/car].

I find that a bit distasteful.

Heh heh. We need how fast are yer legs thread.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Ahemm .... What happened to the "poor" woman? Is she not going anywhere? :whistle:
Just kidding!
Really, before I started to read Cycle Chat, I thought one just jumps on the bike and goes, the only expense the bike itself.
Then I found out I need to put air in my tyres, get a pump ... then discover I really need a track pump.
Not allowed to cycle on the pavement, get lights for the road. Then discover any light won't do, get better ones.
Then discover any tyre won't do: get other ones, more grip, more vavawhumph, more money!
Brake pads need replaced regularly, what a discovery!
Then find out a day ticket for the bus costs a fortune if you give up your monthly one: need N+1 just in case N is off sick ... :wacko::wacko::wacko:

Crankarm

Guru
The cost of running a car is MUCH more expensive than cycling. Period. The fact that SOME bikes are expensive is irrelevant as most cyclists I suspect ride bikes worth considerably less than £500. The capital out lay for a car is far more than this and then you have the cost of insurance, tax, fuel, servicing and general maintenance. Cycling by comparison is significantly cheaper. I suspect there are drivers of cars and also cyclists who are equally tight or poor, likewise there are those who must have a top of the range expensive status symbol car or a plastic carbon bike to impress work mate or the neighbours. Cars and bikes are both expenses. For many I shoulld imagine it is solely about getting form A to B as cheaply and quickly as possible.

Top Bottom