Cycling across Germany

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

victorian

Regular
My family (husband, two children and me) is planning a five week cycle tour to Europe next year. Due to its cycling infrastructure and historic interest, we've decided to spend most, if not all, of our time in Germany. However, we do need route suggestions. The problem is that we want to go to Berlin, but we need to fly back to Canada directly out of Frankfurt. We also want to stick, as much as possible, to flattish routes that are cycle-path only, or at least on very low traffic roads. Given that background, my questions are:
1. Can anyone suggest a route which meets our criteria and which goes from Berlin to Frankfurt? We estimate that 1500 km would be a reasonable distance for the entire trip.
2. The two routes that we can see that would meet our criteria at this point would be (a) Berlin to Prague, Prague to Vienna, and Vienna to Frankfurt or (b) west from Berlin along the Euroroute 1 to hook up to the Rhine somewhere, then down the Rhine to Frankfurt. Does anyone have an estimate of the distance of these two routes? Or recommendations about which of these routes is preferable (or recommendations for other routes)?
3. Another thought is that we could fly into Amsterdam, travel down the Rhine to some city in Germany on the northern Rhine, and then take a train to Berlin and back to whatever that city is (then continue down the Rhine towards Frankfurt again after our time in Berlin). I understand from my research that trains in Germany do have bicycle cars but we will be heavily laden (two adult bikes with an attached trailer on each, and two kids' bikes). Would a bike train-car be able to fit our bikes and trailers?
4. One final question -- we will either be travelling in May or September (next year). It would appear that they are both similar temperature-wise, but is there more rain in one month than the other.
Thanks so much for any and all advice you can provide.

Brommyboy

Über Member

mcr

Veteran
I think this should be useful for route planning.

Note that the rules for taking bikes on German trains vary with the type of train you're taking: as I understand it, they can only be taken on ICE services in a bike bag, they have to be booked in advance on IC trains (the fastish long distance ones) and can be taken without reservation on almost all local services (IRE/RE/RB/S). If you stick to the latter you should be fine, as long as you avoid peak times such as weekends - half of Germany seems to take their bike for a ride on Saturdays and Sundays. Local trains - which can be slow - usually have plenty of space for bikes, sometimes a whole carriage set aside, but usually in a marked section (shown by a bike symbol by the relevant door).

You normally have to buy tickets for the bike as well as for yourselves, though in some Lander carriage is free with certain tickets, or you can get one-day passes for unlimited journeys. One last thing to bear in mind is that German platforms tend to be rather low in relation to the train doors, so you may have to lug bikes and luggage up a 2-3 steps into the carriage, which isn't always easy. But bikes on trains are so ubiquitous you shouldn't have too many problems. Use the Deutsche Bahn website for timetables (and click the bike option).

Dora

Victorian, I cycled in Germany in May last year - the weather was absolutely beautiful the whole time.

Trains in Germany vary for carrying bikes - All the ones I encountered involved a steep step up to the train, but if you work together to get bikes and luggage on board you'll be fine. As for storage on the train, there was always room for at least four bikes, on one, they even had a dedicated bicycle carriage with purpose-built stands.
5850643012_a101f84fe4_m.jpg

this one had plenty room either end for trailers, and while my bike did fit in the racks with the luggage (4 panniers) attached, I chose to take it off when I saw how wobbly it was!!
(not sure how long this image will last - it being flickr!)

I only visited Bavaria, so YMMV, none of the trains I travelled on required an advance reservation, but you do have to pay to take your bike on the train, prices ranged from 5 euros for a single journey, to 21 euros for a day pass.

If you're visiting rural germany, may I take this opportunity to say: RUHETAG SUCKS!!!! But Germany in gereral is fantastic for cycling!!

Attachments

• 5850643012_a101f84fe4_m.jpg
    5850643012_a101f84fe4_m.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 33
OP
OP
V

victorian

Regular
We did Prague to Berlin about three years ago. Mostly on the Elbe Radweg. The final approaches into Berlin were not on cycle ways and were a bit traffic laden. The Elbe Radweg is great level cycling and family friendly. http://www.elbe-cycle-route.com/start.html
Do you know/recall whether there were regularly-spaced campsites on the Elbe, particularly on the Czech Republic side? Also, what is the approximate distance between Berlin and Prague on the Elbe? I've looked at several sites, but they all seem to be limited to describing the German portion of the route, and there is not as much general information about the Czech Republic side of it?
Thanks for any details you can provide.

Do you know/recall whether there were regularly-spaced campsites on the Elbe, particularly on the Czech Republic side? Also, what is the approximate distance between Berlin and Prague on the Elbe? I've looked at several sites, but they all seem to be limited to describing the German portion of the route, and there is not as much general information about the Czech Republic side of it?

Campsites - Czech side are fairly regular - not always easy to find (probably easier with the bikeline guide) and not always fully serviced - OK for me but not up to the standard that you what you will find in the western parts of Germany

see my signature for my account going the other way - Prague to Hamburg and Polish border to Elbe via Berlin

snorri

Legendary Member
Also, what is the approximate distance between Berlin and Prague on the Elbe? I've looked at several sites, but they all seem to be limited to describing the German portion of the route, and there is not as much general information about the Czech Republic side of it?
Berlin is not on the Elbe, the nearest city to Berlin on the Elbe Radweg is probably Lutherstadt/Wittenberg which can be reached from Berlin by following the Europa Radweg R1. For another possible route from Berlin to Prague you might consider the Spree Radweg which takes you from central Berlin to Ebersbach, a town close to the Czech border. From there you could head west to link up with the Elbe Radweg at Dresden or Decin and follow the Elbe Radweg into Prague.
Berlin to Lutherstadt...130Km
Lutherstadt to Prague...377Km
Berlin to Ebersbach...410Km
Decin to Prague ...... 150Km
PS. I have not double checked these distances!

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Consider heading south from Berlin until it starts getting a bit bumpy, then take trains to Füssen and follow Die Romantische Straße route from there north to the Danube at Donauwörth and then go west along the Danube route to Donaueschingen, then due south down the Wutach valley to the Rhine and along the Rhein Frankfurt. Plan B would be to go north from Füssen, over the Danube and on to the Main at either Würzburg or Wertheim (I think I would go for the former) and then along the Main to Frankfurt. You can get Bikeline books for the Romantische Straße, Danube and Main routes. They also do a book which will cover the area around Berline (Radatlas Brandenburg).

bigjim

Legendary Member
I was in Germany last May and the weather was beautiful. Took the bike on the train from Lintz in Austria [so long distance?] without any problems and booked on the day at the station. Extra 2 euro for the bike.
5761567778_dbc0fc31f4.jpg

Attachments

• 5761567778_dbc0fc31f4.jpg
    5761567778_dbc0fc31f4.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 55

Brains

Legendary Member
We are looking at the Elbe/Berlin route as well for this May.

We have bought the BikeLine books (in English) I've used them before, they are brilliant.

What it looks like to me having studied the book is that the section between Prague to the German border is pretty rough, hills, steps etc. so we are thinking of starting either on the border, or a days or so ride in the the Czech Rep. and then turning right a day or so north of Megdeburg and either follow the Havel river Berlin, or turning right further south at Genthin and following the canal to Brandenburg, Postsdam and Berlin

Anyone any experience of this route

OP
OP
V

victorian

Regular
Consider heading south from Berlin until it starts getting a bit bumpy, then take trains to Füssen and follow Die Romantische Straße route from there north to the Danube at Donauwörth and then go west along the Danube route to Donaueschingen, then due south down the Wutach valley to the Rhine and along the Rhein Frankfurt. Plan B would be to go north from Füssen, over the Danube and on to the Main at either Würzburg or Wertheim (I think I would go for the former) and then along the Main to Frankfurt. You can get Bikeline books for the Romantische Straße, Danube and Main routes. They also do a book which will cover the area around Berline (Radatlas Brandenburg).

I'm checking out your suggestions on a map.....where do you estimate that it starts getting "bumpy" south of Berlin? Would it be several days (or several hours) worth of riding from Berlin? Also, as we look at more options, another interesting route seems to be the Neckar (as a way up into Frankfurt from the south). Do you have any experience/knowledge/views about that route?

Top Bottom