Cycling and bicycle questions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Why is it that every so often we get people asking questions about bicycles and cycling on this forum? Really gets in the way of the mindless banter.
Should we vote on banning cycling related topic?
There are plenty of other fora out there for that kind of stuff bikeradar, ACF

bonj2

ACF's job is cycling advice and product reviews etc.
Cyclechat's job is chat and rants.
Bikeradar's job is a 'spare' forum for overspill from cyclechat whenever it's down, in order that we can log on and discuss when cyclechat's going to be back up again.

Noodley

ACF: good site. good for Audax and (mostly) a good laugh.
CC: good site. A good laugh. And I "know" some good people here from meeting them or from C+.
Bike Radar: shite site. But good for Pro Cycling, which I like.

Keith Oates

Janner
Cafe and Soapbox are the most used sections by far and there's nothing wrong with that, but the Race section is one part I would like to see increase!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Noodley

Keith Oates said:
...the Race section is one part I would like to see increase!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree. It does seem you are ploughing a lone furrow. And your contributions to the Pro scene are very much missed in Race over on BR. I very rarely visit, and mostly only for PTP. But I may not even bother this year. But I do not think members here have too much of an interest in Pro cycling.

Then again, maybe it could be encouraged?

bonj2

Noodley said:
ACF: good site. good for Audax and (mostly) a good laugh.
CC: good site. A good laugh. And I "know" some good people here from meeting them or from C+.
Bike Radar: shite site. But good for Pro Cycling, which I like.

what even IS "audax" when it's at 'ome?

bonj2

Abitrary said:
Cycling with your earphones in
Ah, right. To be honest it sounded like one of those things that I do all the time but have never actually known the fancy term for.

Dave5N

Über Member
Veloriders for that. I spend a fair bit of time there though I don't post as much.

Not keen on ACF really, but daren't say why or I'll get blackballed or a writ or summat, and we all know what's wrong with BikeRadar.

Incidentally, this is the only forum where you don't get complaints about the mods.

It does seem to be run sensitively and with a light touch.

SamNichols

bonj said:
Ah, right. To be honest it sounded like one of those things that I do all the time but have never actually known the fancy term for.

It's a long distance non-competitive cycling event. you are given a route and a minimum time limit and then you cycle it.

Pete

bonj said:
what even IS "audax" when it's at 'ome?
Abitrary said:
Cycling with your earphones in
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: classic!!!

Looking at the statistics on here: Cafe has over 58,000 posts on it (to date), Soapbox has over 34,000. Of the others only Commuting is above 10,000. That says something. I must admit I am part of that trend. Maybe, in my case at least, it's because I'm not doing that much cycling at the moment, so I haven't much to say about it :biggrin::sad::biggrin: - apart from the short commute in which nothing interesting happens...:sad:

But another factor is, that if people want to have a point - about policy or campaigning, say - actually read, they'll post it on here, rather than in the more slow-moving Campaigning section.

If this is seen as a problem, maybe there's a solution somewhere. But needs to be applied with care. Shaun - any ideas?

Top Bottom