Cycling and your sanity

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Yeah but about ‘bike rattles’ though.....

I don't like them and don't have any on any bike unless you know something I don't sir.

Eta, hang on, I did have that annoying tick on the 200k audax. That was a wind up

OP
OP
Levo-Lon

Levo-Lon

Guru
After filing a few mm off the work of the Devil bottle cage I now have peace:smile:

Should have posted in first world problems:laugh:

I had a mystery rattle and checked the bike every which way but could not locate any loose bits. After a couple of days I traced it to the toggles on the waist cinch of my jacket knocking on the top tube.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
The day before I did my very first FNRttC I cleaned and prepared my bike thoroughly, it was spotless and was riding beautifully, I rode to the meeting point safe in the knowledge that my bike was in tip top condition.

Not long after leaving Hyde Park Corner I could hear a buzzing sound from somewhere, couldn’t work out where it was coming from, at various stops I would go over the bike to check but couldn’t work it out.

The noise eventually stopped buzzing and became a rattle, was worse on bad surfaces, at the half way point I had another good look over the bike to no avail. The further we rode the louder it got, it was like a football rattle in my ear.

It wasn’t until I got home the following day after lifting the bike off the bike rack, that my hand touched the tension nut under the Brooks saddle, that bloody nut had been riding up and down the bolt for 70 odd miles driving me insane. Feckin thing.

Smudge

Veteran
There ain't no sanity clause. But two-wheeled travel (whether self powered or with an engine) certainly helps my mental state.

Spending money on a boring metal box on wheels, so you can spend hours in it getting to work, and then spend hours paying for it, yet kidding yourself (a) it's an interesting metal box and (b) a sensible way to live your life, OTOH....that's nuts.

They say you'll never see a motorcycle parked outside the psychiatrists...... Probably applies to push bikes as well.

I have a bit of a creaky thing going on. Suspect it's the headset.
Don't want to explore it as am too damn wussy to take apart the bike I'm depending on.

Top Bottom