Cycling Around the World, Sadly had to return for major repairs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
John Peel

John Peel

Thanks for the reply. I thought the Igaro was supposed to be a good bit of trouble free kit and one would hope so at that price. I understand that you can buy an inline modular switch for it to switch between powering the light or charging a powerbank but I like the simple sound of a switch on the light. Which light is that?

Your having me in tears here. Just looking these items up and clocking the prices is breaking my already enlarged heart :smile:. I can't believe I spent over £500 on lights, hub and USB adaptor, no wonder my bike was so expensive. I'm not even going to break down anything else.

Front light: Busch & Muller M Lumotec IQ2 Luxos U
Rear light: Spanninga Rear Light Pannier Rack Assembly - Dynamo cables.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I have a double adaptor for the plug socket and it has 2 usb sockets in it too, so I love getting into digs knowing that everything is charged and will give me a few days camping. The dynamo is a Son 3w, and the converter is Igaro D1 V5. It's a tricky bit of kit I'm told to go from hub to USB. The lights switch off at the lights thank goodness as the lights and the USB are all live. It's nice when I hear the phone ding as it starts to charge, then sad when 100m farther on I hit a hill and it dings again to say its no longer charging :smile:. From what I can work out from my experience, a steady 10mph will keep an iphone and a Garmin Edge alive, but wont give them any extra charge, but that's OK. Getting over 10mph and you start to give those same things a little charge. But keeping things alive is handy in itself I guess. I have also worked out that doing 30 mph down a hill for 5 minutes, is still only 5 minutes charge you would get at 15 mph on a flat road. Hope that helps. I had to stop as I was starting to convince myself the 400 sobs for the dynamo and converter were worth it!!

Charging stuff off a dynamo is outside my experience, but you are not the first cyclist I've heard say that usb outlets from dynamos - even expensive ones - are too weedy to be of much use.

Sorry john, may have read your post too negatively. To clarify, does the igaro work for you or not? Do you think you could cut free from the mains with it on a long trip like yours?

Last edited:
OP
OP
John Peel

John Peel

Sorry john, may have read your post too negatively. To clarify, does the igaro work for you or not? Do you think you could cut free from the mains with it on a long trip like yours.

For the speed which I cycle at this time, the USB for charging is all but useless.

The only time I plug anything into it is when I'm on a flat road with the wind behind and I'm likely to be riding like this for hours, and even then I find I'm only plugging in to it because it's there and I'm in hope that every little helps. If I were to build a bike from scratch with what I have experienced, a dynamo would not exist.

The 400 or 500 sobs for the lights, dynamo, and USB adaptor, would not be a part of the build. I would simply buy good battery front and rear lights, because I rarely even ride in the dark and don't go through enough tunnels. Battery lights would last a very long time with me, and batteries are dirt cheap anyway, especially considering LED lights use hardly anything.

But that's me. I could imagine the dynamo would be a much better investment for roadies who maintain a fast pace for a large part of their ride. Or even those who travel ultralight and fast, but as I don't ride like that, I couldn't tell you if that setup would be worth it for sure.

Take into account also that things break, this would be really upsetting. I had to have my dealer look at the lights because they started to turn on each time I hit a bump, so reaching down to keep turning them off was a pain. They seem OK now, but at one point I unplugged the lights from the dynamo because it was annoying me. If they break altogether its expensive for another set of lights and I would end up with battery lights anyway.

My advice to you: Save your money and buy battery lights.

Interesting response john. Many thanks for the reply.
Your argument about not needing lights much on tour makes sense.

If you can't generate any power on your trip, with much of it doubtless through remote areas with maybe a fair bit of freecamping, do you think you will have any problems?

Might be an idea to take an old non smart mobile as well as the smartphone energy sucker.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
For the speed which I cycle at this time, the USB for charging is all but useless.

The only time I plug anything into it is when I'm on a flat road with the wind behind and I'm likely to be riding like this for hours, and even then I find I'm only plugging in to it because it's there and I'm in hope that every little helps. If I were to build a bike from scratch with what I have experienced, a dynamo would not exist.

The 400 or 500 sobs for the lights, dynamo, and USB adaptor, would not be a part of the build. I would simply buy good battery front and rear lights, because I rarely even ride in the dark and don't go through enough tunnels. Battery lights would last a very long time with me, and batteries are dirt cheap anyway, especially considering LED lights use hardly anything.

But that's me. I could imagine the dynamo would be a much better investment for roadies who maintain a fast pace for a large part of their ride. Or even those who travel ultralight and fast, but as I don't ride like that, I couldn't tell you if that setup would be worth it for sure.

Take into account also that things break, this would be really upsetting. I had to have my dealer look at the lights because they started to turn on each time I hit a bump, so reaching down to keep turning them off was a pain. They seem OK now, but at one point I unplugged the lights from the dynamo because it was annoying me. If they break altogether its expensive for another set of lights and I would end up with battery lights anyway.

My advice to you: Save your money and buy battery lights.

Would reducing the weight of all your touring equipment increase your cycling speed and therefore help you generate more electricity to make dynamo hub usage feasible? I seem to remember somewhere upthread that you were looking at cutting down onboard weight for when you continue your tour as it was a little high before (I could be misremembering though!).

OP
OP
John Peel

John Peel

If you can't generate any power on your trip, with much of it doubtless through remote areas with maybe a fair bit of freecamping, do you think you will have any problems?

Oh yes, days and day without being able to generate or plug in would be bad news, maybe. Or maybe just what I need :smile: But the way I see it, even crossing Australia, as long as I have a couple of battery banks and limit the use (which would be easy as there is nothing much to see and simple roads routes), I think I would still be able to charge up every few days, or even a week. Solar power is another cheap option I have given some thought to, but then thought it would be just another gadget to cart along. If I only use my phone for maps.me, I will easily get a week or more out of 2 banks.

When I first set out I was in a panic to find places to charge, until I learned to manage things a bit better. If my laptop has a full charge, I can charge my iphone off that a good few times too. I think somewhere like the Australian straight and flat roads would be a place likely to take advantage of the usb and hub.

OP
OP
John Peel

John Peel

Would reducing the weight of all your touring equipment increase your cycling speed and therefore help you generate more electricity to make dynamo hub usage feasible? I seem to remember somewhere upthread that you were looking at cutting down onboard weight for when you continue your tour as it was a little high before (I could be misremembering though!).

Travelling lighter would likely make it easier for me to travel faster, which is why I suggested ultra lightweight touring could make use of the hub. The thing for me though is I'm a lump and quite fresh to all this so haven't really developed great cycling legs yet, but I do expect that within a 6 months more or so I feel I will gain more speed as I adapt and get stronger and lighter, so might be able to make use of the USB, but then maybe not.

I'm hoping to be able to forward my camping gear to family in Australia once I reach Cyprus, as it will be India, and the Far East until Australia and I'm going to take the chance on finding cheap digs instead of camping. I will still carry my tarp, mozzie net, silk liner and pillow just in case. That alone will free up a 49 litre Rack-Pack and one front pannier. And then there is all the winter clothing which I can send home too. I do aim to travel lighter, my electronics weight in at 10kg, so it would be great to just have another 10kg of clothing. I'm sure it will make a big difference.

OP
OP
John Peel

John Peel

Hi John,
I came across this thread and just had to register to congratulate you on your progress so far. I think your story so far is inspirational and I wish you the very best of luck when you get back on the road.

Frank

Edit: Just added a post to the velocharger thread which may be helpful

Last edited:
OP
OP
John Peel

John Peel

Hi John, Edit: Just added a post to the velocharger thread which may be helpful

Hi Frank, thanks. I'm looking forward to getting back out to Marseille to continue on. Spending time working the new gearing in and getting my bags neat and tidy. I will check out the velocharger threat too. Cheers. Steve

Hi Steve, I just looked at your route through Malaysia, once you leave Butterworth(Pinang), I myself would head over to the East Coast, using route 4 then use the Kampoon coastal roads which run South along the Coast some distance from the main road route 3, much better route and misses the rat race the West Coast can be. If you really need to go into KL, then when you get to Kuantan you can leave the Bike at your digs and get the express bus into KL. Also on the East coast there are quite a few pretty island that you can visit to relax on. Also you can enter Spore via the Ferry from Tanjung Belungkor to Changi point ferry terminal.
I also looked at your route through Indonesia, if you did not want to go to Spore you can get ferries from Malaka to Dumai in Sumatra then head to Jave by road. Jakarta is a nightmare to ride through, I was pestered by young and not so young beggers at the street junctions as well as getting lost. The Route I rode through the Island was via Bogor, Bandung(Very Hilly Route) , Yogyakarta. Well Steve I hope that gives you some ideas.

OP
OP
John Peel

John Peel

Hi Steve, I just looked at your route through Malaysia, once you leave Butterworth(Pinang), I myself would head over to the East Coast, using route 4 then use the Kampoon coastal roads which run South along the Coast some distance from the main road route 3, much better route and misses the rat race the West Coast can be. If you really need to go into KL, then when you get to Kuantan you can leave the Bike at your digs and get the express bus into KL. Also on the East coast there are quite a few pretty island that you can visit to relax on. Also you can enter Spore via the Ferry from Tanjung Belungkor to Changi point ferry terminal.
I also looked at your route through Indonesia, if you did not want to go to Spore you can get ferries from Malaka to Dumai in Sumatra then head to Jave by road. Jakarta is a nightmare to ride through, I was pestered by young and not so young beggers at the street junctions as well as getting lost. The Route I rode through the Island was via Bogor, Bandung(Very Hilly Route) , Yogyakarta. Well Steve I hope that gives you some ideas.

You had me searching the map for "Spore" before it clicked :smile: I have no interest in visiting KL and have been to Penang in the past, so would it be better for me then instead hit the East Coast from Thailand into Pasir Mas (I have been to Langkawi in the past too so can skip that), then along the whole of the East Coast to Spore :smile: then from there over to Jakarta by ferry. I'm more into nature than architecture or history. Cheers. Steve

You had me searching the map for "Spore" before it clicked :smile: I have no interest in visiting KL and have been to Penang in the past, so would it be better for me then instead hit the East Coast from Thailand into Pasir Mas (I have been to Langkawi in the past too so can skip that), then along the whole of the East Coast to Spore :smile: then from there over to Jakarta by ferry. I'm more into nature than architecture or history. Cheers. Steve
Sorry by confusing you regarding the use of Local slang for Singapore, Regarding the ferry to Jakatara from Singapore, is rather long, firstly you have to get the Ferry to the Island of Batan(45 min) then from there the ferry goes to Jakarta which takes 31 hours, that if it runs still a lot of ferry routes have stopped running. Hence I suggested the Malacca to Dumai.

OP
OP
John Peel

John Peel

Sorry by confusing you regarding the use of Local slang for Singapore, Regarding the ferry to Jakatara from Singapore, is rather long, firstly you have to get the Ferry to the Island of Batan(45 min) then from there the ferry goes to Jakarta which takes 31 hours, that if it runs still a lot of ferry routes have stopped running. Hence I suggested the Malacca to Dumai.

I did originally look at Sumatra but because the visas are on 30 days for Indonesia I wanted to make sure I reached Bali with plenty of time to sort out the gear and make arrangements for flying to Australia. It’s a shame so many countries have such short visas.

Top Bottom