Cycling at night

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I like night riding although I do less of it. Multiple light sources placed in different locations front and back is the way to go and different high-viz/retro bands and contrast clothing is the way to go.

If you're cycling in non-urban conditions non-clean light is not usually a problem. So to-be-seen light output is not so much of a problem. Hedges, hills, kinks, bends all cover all undo this though, so I think it's a good idea to go for multiple lighting options. Hi-viz, reflectors on body and bike. Helmet lighting and miners headlamps usually work a treat as the height can be pretty important.

If you're cycling in ultra urban conditions such as a town centre or well lit dual carriageway, non-reflective light clothing can become a minus and many small reflectors become far less useful. Retros, dark and very contrasted clothing and sheer brute power of lighting becomes the best way to be seen.

Urban the light tends to be cleaner and speeds slower so light clothing, high viz and retros all work fine. Being seen at the front is much more of an issue at junctions you'll inevitably come to. Two lights placed on the front or a more powerful system is a much I'd say.

I use a cateye 1000 as my main back light. The 1100 which they've started selling now though is quite a bit brighter.

Memorise those potholes, routes and look out for hedgehogs and rabbits.

we' re doing our clubs 200 mile overnight ride this weekend.it' sgreat coming down through the lakes when it's just coming light with no traffic to bother you.
most are using dynohubs of various makes with the most popular front light being the busch and muller lumotec fly iq. there area couple of e6's but most seem to be going over to the led hub driven.
most of the first timers are trusting their luck with anything they can get hold of, in case they decide it's not for them!
back lights are all led from most of the main makes and we all have at least two on..

OP
OP
C

CJ87

Wow thanks for all you're great advise guys! Reflective tape and high viz gear definately seem like tip-top ideas! I'm still undecided though (especially after visiting my LBS today and being informed flashing rear lights are illegal WTF!). I think ebay is going to be my best option here as I'm in no rush although I'm thinking a couple of cateye 1100s, undecided as to a headlight as yet. I'm going to be on country roads the majority of the time so kind of want something reminiscent of a WW2 searchlight! Seriously thanks again for all you're input everyone, you've given me alot to think about ;)
Chris

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
CJ87 said:
Wow thanks for all you're great advise guys! Reflective tape and high viz gear definately seem like tip-top ideas! I'm still undecided though (especially after visiting my LBS today and being informed flashing rear lights are illegal WTF!). I think ebay is going to be my best option here as I'm in no rush although I'm thinking a couple of cateye 1100s, undecided as to a headlight as yet. I'm going to be on country roads the majority of the time so kind of want something reminiscent of a WW2 searchlight! Seriously thanks again for all you're input everyone, you've given me alot to think about ;)
Chris

Your LBS is talking out of his harris, see here http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=4071

OP
OP
C

CJ87

FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
Your LBS is talking out of his harris

Well I thought it was a bit odd to be honest! He told me that its illegal to have them on flashing whilst out on the road! Glad thats not the case as when I've been driving at night I always think they are far more visible than non-intermitent lights!

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
CJ87 said:
Well I thought it was a bit odd to be honest! He told me that its illegal to have them on flashing whilst out on the road! Glad thats not the case as when I've been driving at night I always think they are far more visible than non-intermitent lights!

Have a click on the link I added to my post. It is certainly a bit of a grey area as it depends on the testing standards and blink rate however if you use 2 rear lights, one on fixed and one on flash then they are perfectly legal.

OP
OP
C

CJ87

Have a click on the link I added to my post. It is certainly a bit of a grey area as it depends on the testing standards and blink rate however if you use 2 rear lights, one on fixed and one on flash then they are perfectly legal.

Ah sorry I missed that link the first time! Cheers mate I'll have a good read now.

malkie

With the TD1100 having 2 rows of LED`s you can have one row fixed and and one row flashing if the mood takes you . ;)

And it IS bright. Very.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I'm guessing the 1100 still has the 4 modes independent for each row- top row flash in unison, all on, flash slow consequentially, and flash faster? The other thing I like about the 1000/1100 is the belt clip (although it's a bit pricey as a secondary) and 4 of the LEDs pointing to the side.

Even if flashing lights are illegal, you'd have to be seen by a very bored copper indeed to be done for it. The police are usually just happy to see a bike with lights on.

CJ87 said:
Wow thanks for all you're great advise guys! Reflective tape and high viz gear definately seem like tip-top ideas! I'm still undecided though (especially after visiting my LBS today and being informed flashing rear lights are illegal WTF!). I think ebay is going to be my best option here as I'm in no rush although I'm thinking a couple of cateye 1100s, undecided as to a headlight as yet. I'm going to be on country roads the majority of the time so kind of want something reminiscent of a WW2 searchlight! Seriously thanks again for all you're input everyone, you've given me alot to think about :biggrin:
Chris

if you want something that bright, i can source you a landing light from a vulcan bomber!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:becool:

but mounting it (and a battery good enough for it) may be a problem...- oh yeah, and it would be a little on the heavy side!:ohmy:

Top Bottom