Cycling B&B in the foothills of the Pyrenees

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Bonus

Bonus

Veteran
We are off to Ramon the friendly farmer & Rosa's for lunch and champagne this afternoon. Rosa has been saying for months that we will celebrate together when we finally get our building license and of course we got it this week.

While we're there I will show Mrs Bonus the new lambs that were born yesterday and the day before. 5 lambs in 2 days! Sweet little things.

OP
OP
Bonus

Bonus

Veteran
It's mid November, the sun is shining and it's a beautiful day in Ainsa, Spain.

Tuesday is Market day and although it's not what most people would call "hot" I am still comfortable in my shorts.

This is a picture of the Market in the car park next to the Rio Cinca. In the background is Ainsa Old Town, up on the hill.

20161115_121926.jpg

OP
OP
Bonus

Bonus

Veteran
We've learned our first Spanish swear word :-)

The word is "Hostia!"

It has a silent H (H is always silent in Spanish) so it's pronounced "Osteeya". It's not a BAD word - I suspect we can use English BAD swear words if we ever need to and we'll be understood just fine.

It's a sort of cross between "Dammit", "I don't believe it" and "Stone the crows!"

Ramon the friendly farmer taught us it (by example of course) Rosa has fits of laughter when we use it mid-conversation.

haha we're fitting in here just fine :-)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
We've learned our first Spanish swear word :-)

The word is "Hostia!"

It has a silent H (H is always silent in Spanish) so it's pronounced "Osteeya". It's not a BAD word - I suspect we can use English BAD swear words if we ever need to and we'll be understood just fine.

It's a sort of cross between "Dammit", "I don't believe it" and "Stone the crows!"

Ramon the friendly farmer taught us it (by example of course) Rosa has fits of laughter when we use it mid-conversation.

haha we're fitting in here just fine :-)
Judging from 'Narcos', I think 'Puta' forms the basis of some pretty serious swearing in Spanish! :whistle: :laugh:

OP
OP
Bonus

Bonus

Veteran

OP
OP
Bonus

Bonus

Veteran
We need to take out a loan to help with the building costs of converting our "Barn" into a home and B&B business, so we had to employ an independent financial assessor to assess the property. He looked at the property some months ago but couldn't finish the assessment without planning permission being granted.

Now that we have planning permission he has finished the assessment and we talk to our first bank on Monday morning.

Meanwhile this weekend we must go though the builders quotes we have received and compare them . . . .

:-)

OP
OP
Bonus

Bonus

Veteran
We've had an interesting week. . . .

On Monday we saw the bank and things are looking fine there. The interest rate for borrowing over here is between 1.5% and 2.5% at the moment.
Then on Tuesday Mrs Bonus found an interesting website that explained and gave examples of typical contracts between Spanish builders and their clients. Some very useful stuff for us to be aware of.

On Wednesday we had a catch-up meeting with our architect to discuss a few things. We also spoke to him about two additional licences that Mrs Bonus had read about on the "Contracts" website.

The first is called the "License for first occupation" which is where, at the end of the build, they come and check that the building was built according to the drawings you submitted. The second is called the "License of confirmed functionality" which is the one that checks that the rooms we are building for the B&B part of the house are "fit for purpose".

They are both either free or have already been paid for when we paid the bill for the Planning Permission Certificate.

Tomorrow we are looking at builders quotes to compare builders . . . decision time ;-)

OP
OP
Bonus

Bonus

Veteran
Where in the world is Ainsa, Spain . . . . ?

Ainsa is situated in the foothills on the southern side of the Pyrenees mountains, which run East-West and form the border between France and Spain. Ainsa is 45km south of the French border and approximately half way between Barcelona and Pamplona.

From Wikipedia:
Ainsa is the main town in the Ainsa-Sobrarbe municipal area, in Aragon, Spain. Besides the surrounding mountain landscape, the main sights of the town are the 12th-century Iglesia parroquial de Santa María church and the 11th-century castle are the main sights of the town.

In the cycling world, Ainsa is most famous for being home to the Zona Zero MTB trails which, in 2015, hosted Stage 7 of the 2015 Enduro World Series races.

1 - Ainsa in Europe.jpg
2 - Ainsa Spain-France.jpg
3 - Ainsa Pyrenees.jpg
4 - Ainsa Huesca.jpg

Top Bottom