Cycling back from a night out involving heavy drinking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sheddy

Legendary Member
Used to do this off-road.
What I found unpleasant was that when very pissed, a bike is easy enough to ride, but is transformed into a lethal weapon that will cause injury the moment you try to get off and walk.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I used to take bike out for a 10 mile run after the pub occasionally many years ago (30+ years ago). Always sobered me up all that fresh air in the early hours of the morning. Quiet roads.
I also had a summer job that meant I was starting at 6:00 am, cycling in at 5:30 after the night before sometimes after heavy weekend. Again sobered me up before work.

OP
OP
S

Soup890

Crazy
I used to take bike out for a 10 mile run after the pub occasionally many years ago (30+ years ago). Always sobered me up all that fresh air in the early hours of the morning. Quiet roads.
I also had a summer job that meant I was starting at 6:00 am, cycling in at 5:30 after the night before sometimes after heavy weekend. Again sobered me up before work.
Thanks, a nice and honest answer.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've cycled when I wouldn't have driven, but still relatively sober, and short distances, tending to take the quiet side streets. Now we moved, it's too far to feel like cycling after drinking with our friends, so normally one of us stays sober. (Or the better way is we invite them to come our direction:whistle:).

OP
OP
S

Soup890

Crazy
Ukrainian vodka, Bethnal Green to Leytonstone, about three miles, broken nose. Don't do it. My niece was staying with me, when she got home I was sat on the settee with my face covered in blood "What happened?" she gasped. "Ukrainian vodka!" I said, and went back to sleep.
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
If I don't cycle back from the pub I'll end up stopping at the kebab shop and wake up wondering why there's red chilli stains on my clothes and shoes.

ayceejay

Guru
The most difficult part of moving about when 3 sheets is maintaining an upright posture (ie not falling over) a bicycle is an indispensable aid but once you attempt to put your leg over the saddle and ride it - all bets are off.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Confession time.
Balham to Hammersmith, about seven miles after a six hour party.
I was fine when I got on the bike and rode up to the main road. At the first major set of lights, I put my left foot down and gravity took over. Keeled over on to the pavement with the bike on top of me. A lovely young lady leaned down and asked if I was OK. I giggled and assured her I was. I set off again and was enjoying the ride immensely when I came to another halt at some lights....the same slow fall to the left. This time a charming young man asked if I would like to be taken to St George's Hospital, Tooting. He may have thought that I had had some kind of subarachnoid haemorrhage but I assured him I was absolutely fine and thanked him for his concern. I don't remember the route I took but I got back home and went to bed.
I had no bruises in the morning and my bike clothes were entirely undamaged. Worryingly, my rear mech had some gouges and I had lost the bar-end plug on the right side too. I don't remember ever falling to the right. It was fun at the time and I was lucky, but I was overcome with guilt and remorse. It wasn't clever, and it was almost certainly extremely dangerous.
Don't do it.

snorri

Legendary Member
It can be problematic for those of us in rural areas with no street lighting and reliant on dynamo lighting for illumination. When starting off into the darkness it is very easy to become disorientated and fall over before sufficient forward movement can be achieved to throw light on the route ahead. One has to choose whither to adopt the bold approach and accelerate rapidly from a standstill, or to take the more cautious, but actually riskier option of moving off slowly and hoping enough light can be thrown on the road ahead to allow observation and avoidance of obstructions ahead but with the increased risk of stalling and falling over. Which leads to another party dilemma, should one attempt to follow the ill defined road edge on the way home or the white line in the middle of said road?
Just don't do it children, it's not a smart or clever thing to do:thumbsup:.

Top Bottom