Cycling banned in Peterborough

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
It's a ban through a pedestrian area. Stupid, but slightly different to an all out ban

oldroadman

Veteran
it should be banned in the area that's been banned.
intelligent cyclists would and do walk as its the foot traffic area.

the ones who ride have tracksuits and a spliff as a rule and are on their way to the dole office or the courts.
So they are by proper definition not "cyclists" but "scruffs using a bicycle shaped object (possibly "acquired")" as cheap transport propelled by instep on pedal. Not that there's any stereotyping going on of course. :whistle:

gbb

Legendary Member
Perfectly sensible move IMO.
Bridge Street is a wide pedestrian causeway with many seating areas, temporary stalls, a burger bar, ....and at times, many many pedestrians. Its a maybe 200 metre stretch, if someone cant be bothered to dismount for the safety of all around, they deserve a fine.

To clarify, ithink Peterborough has very good, if odd cycling facilities. Shared paths abound all over the city which often leaves cyclists with a view that pavement cycling is ok, I even see local Police doing it in the estates.

gbb

Legendary Member
TBF Irish is right in the sense that at times, its quiet....but how can you police it if its not clear when you can or cant...there are signs already but some obey, some dont. Some blatantly disobey..and probably always will.

gbb

Legendary Member
So they are by proper definition not "cyclists" but "scruffs using a bicycle shaped object (possibly "acquired")" as cheap transport propelled by instep on pedal. Not that there's any stereotyping going on of course. :whistle:
While stereotyping Isnt to be promoted....Meta Ions description does bear out. Not exclusively, but a good majority of those i see flout the rules ARE scruffy gets dodging in and out of pedestrians.

Crankarm

Guru
This ban is common sense. As has already been stated those that flout it are chavs in shell suits puffing on spliffs weaving around peds on their BSOs.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
to be fair the majority are commuters heading to and from work, :thumbsup: they might mostly be on "BSO's" and pavement riders but commuters none the less....
Between 9am and 6pm, there may be a few shift workers commuting or some part-timers travelling to or from work but most people are at work when the 'ban' is in effect.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I must be getting old? What's a bso's mentioned in thread?
Google brings up brown sheriffs offence? Whatever that is..

BSO - Bicycle-Shaped Object. Meant as a derogatory term for the lowest-price machines one can purchase on the high street (usually from the likes of Asda). I have used the term in thye past but understand fully that many folk can't afford to buy better so don't any more.
Back to the all-times ban on cycling along Bridge Street, can't comment on the spliff-toting tracksuit-clad stereotypes mentioned already but my observation is that all types of cyclists currently flout the ban, young to old, ninjas to Sam Browne-clad commuters and it's the way they cycle along here that I find worrying somethimes. Some will do the scoot-along-standing-on-one-pedal approach, others cycle normally, but there are the stunt-bikers who weave in and out of pedestrians like they're obstacles to be dodged and that gives all of us a bad name. This is a bit of a draconian approach but short of cutting all of the trees down and building a cycleway down the centre of the street I don't see what the alternative is so that everyone can be safe?
What the council need to do it close off the end of Bourges Boulevard from the Crescent Bridge roundabout to the roundabout near the court buildings and turn that into a cycleway, how would that work as a solution? :bicycle: :becool::sun:

gbb

Legendary Member
The irony is, in Peterborough you see what appears to be officially sanctioned stupidity in some peoples eyes...an example...
Upper Bridge Street, from the football ground roundabout to the Police station, over the bridge....its a paved footpath possibly 10ft wide, narrowing at Rivergate....you will see cyclists weaving in and out of unsuspecting pedestrians, right next to busy traffic. You'll often see cyclists passing peds from the rear, within inches from the peds who then look bemused, surprised etc.
I can see how the council have tried to give cyclists a route into town, the river, bridge, four lanes of traffic...and no other real options if you're headed to/from Stanground, but its a far far from ideal situation.
Thats said, I do believe Peterborough city council have done a fantastic job for cyclists, given the lack of opportunities the confines the city centre has. Elsewhere in the city, cycle routes abound, possibly rivalling the best you'll find (at least in mileage terms).

Top Bottom