Cycling buddy wanted in Bedford.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris-H

Über Member
If anyone is in the Bedford area and fancys meeting up for some rides throughout the autumn/winter give me a shout,i go out with the mrs which is nice but having a 3 year old means we cant ride together that much and none of my friends cycle.Evenings and saturdays are great for me.Dont mind bunging the bike in the car and driving out a bit if you are outside of the Bedford area.

Big boy

im in the bedford area but am a slow rider.

OP
OP
Chris-H

Chris-H

Über Member
im in the bedford area but am a slow rider.
I'm hardly Mark Cavendish myself mate ^_^
What sort of mileage do you like to ride ? I dont know the area that well as only been up here a little while (well 3 years) so would be great to go on some different rides :thumbsup:

Big boy

Firstly im near bedford . Bedfordshire.
If we both talkin about the same area .
Up until my back went about 6 weeks ago ten miles or more.
I been trying to lose weight but havin to go easy to se how my back reacts.
Mileage wise the longer the better as long as i can turn the peddles .:-)

OP
OP
Chris-H

Chris-H

Über Member
I might be wrong but i suggest you rest and let your back fully recover before doing anymore riding,might do more harm than good,do you know what you have done to your back? Btw i'm not a doctor ^_^

Big boy

Hi Chris im in Pavenham some nice scenery around here.
My longest ride was to Amthill not a milion miles but about 29 miles round trip.
That was at night i often ride in the dark, and around here we are talking dark lol.
Theres no lighting around here till i get to the next village.
My bike is a budget road bike, as i said my back does play up.
With that in mind i fitted flat bars to it, off a donated mountain bike.
Along with the brake levers etc etc
I did have a hybrid a real sit up and beg thing but i did loads of miles on it untill it was nicked.
Im a fulltime carer for my other half, she has a bad back amongst other things.
Im 50 fat and athsmatic but do like to get out on the bike, downhill if i can.
im probably to slow for you, especially if you young and fit, but its nice to know theres people in this area using this forum.

akb

Veteran
Im in Potton; and commute from Potton to Bedford on the route 51 cycle track. Leisure rides for me though is in the woods on XC trails. So if you fancy a bit of Chicksands mountain biking, give us a shout.

OP
OP
Chris-H

Chris-H

Über Member
Hi Chris im in Pavenham some nice scenery around here.
My longest ride was to Amthill not a milion miles but about 29 miles round trip.
That was at night i often ride in the dark, and around here we are talking dark lol.
Theres no lighting around here till i get to the next village.
My bike is a budget road bike, as i said my back does play up.
With that in mind i fitted flat bars to it, off a donated mountain bike.
Along with the brake levers etc etc
I did have a hybrid a real sit up and beg thing but i did loads of miles on it untill it was nicked.
Im a fulltime carer for my other half, she has a bad back amongst other things.
Im 50 fat and athsmatic but do like to get out on the bike, downhill if i can.
im probably to slow for you, especially if you young and fit, but its nice to know theres people in this area using this forum.
Well mate i'm not far behind you,pushing 44,overweight and hardly an athlete,mileage sounds good and its a good job my cree t6 light arrived today too ^_^ Be nice to get out your way for some rides for sure:thumbsup:
Im in Potton; and commute from Potton to Bedford on the route 51 cycle track. Leisure rides for me though is in the woods on XC trails. So if you fancy a bit of Chicksands mountain biking, give us a shout.
i'm not far from Chicksands and would defo be up for it,i've ridden around the outside of the woods and walked them many times but never actually ventured in on the cycle track,always wanted to give it a go but not sure my bike is up to it but i'm definatly willing to give it a go,also well up for any off road riding if you know of other places too :thumbsup:

akb

Veteran
i'm not far from Chicksands and would defo be up for it,i've ridden around the outside of the woods and walked them many times but never actually ventured in on the cycle track,always wanted to give it a go but not sure my bike is up to it but i'm definatly willing to give it a go,also well up for any off road riding if you know of other places too :thumbsup:

I tend to stay away from the actual bike park, and just go round the trails that surround the area. There is also Woburn Sands (near MK) and Pirton (Stotfold area) which has good trails. All you will need is a pretty decent hardtail MTB. Ive got a Spesh Rockhopper which is fine for the job. Friend of mine has a slightly lower spec'd Spesh Hardrock which is also up to the job.

Big boy

Hi Cris (and ayone else )
Yes mate would be good to hook up and take a ride out.
safety in numbers and all that im gonna take a ride around the block today to se how i get on.
Its seven and a half miles will let you know the result later on ok.
Oh and i looked up your light looks like its a gonna be just the job.

Big boy

Ok change of plan.
I ended up draggin out my other bike , its an old mtb.
Its easyerer on my back did a trip to the shop and back about 5 miles lookin good so far.
Its about time i got back into my cycling, i have spent a small fortune gettin all the kit.
Whats the new light like??

OP
OP
Chris-H

Chris-H

Über Member
I tend to stay away from the actual bike park, and just go round the trails that surround the area. There is also Woburn Sands (near MK) and Pirton (Stotfold area) which has good trails. All you will need is a pretty decent hardtail MTB. Ive got a Spesh Rockhopper which is fine for the job. Friend of mine has a slightly lower spec'd Spesh Hardrock which is also up to the job.
That sounds just the ticket mate,will definatly be up for some of those rides,my bike is CBR Fusion,not a top of line bike but is a good all rounder and fairly tough,i just would'nt want to do any 6ft drops on it is all :laugh:
Ok change of plan.
I ended up draggin out my other bike , its an old mtb.
Its easyerer on my back did a trip to the shop and back about 5 miles lookin good so far.
Its about time i got back into my cycling, i have spent a small fortune gettin all the kit.
Whats the new light like??
Went out on first ride last night with new light and i must say i'm well impressed,its very dark round my way and it lit the road so well,you have to be carefull where you buy them,i got one from China on ebay and it has never worked from day one,they were very clever and kept fobbing me off saying they had sent new battery etc then before i knew it the time limit was up to leave feedback and they blocked me from any further purchases so as to not leave them any neg feedback.The one i have brought now is of a much better quality,from the uk and only £30.
Glad your ride went well,i dont 25 miles last night and my legs ache this morning,hav'nt been out for about 4 weeks and done the entire ride all out:sad:

Big boy

lol makes my 5 miles look like i sat on it and fell off lol.
result on the new light then, i use one from halfords god only knows what its called but its an ok light.
Im going out again today all going well, i have a few loops that i tend to do.
Loop one around the block thats seven and a half miles.
Loop 2 to bedford and back thats about ten miles.
Loop 3 takes me through stevington bromham, into bedford and back home thats 13 miles.
Just before my back went i was out a lot and was about ready to take a ride to luton and back.
Theres some big hills whatever way i go , ive already decided im gonna have to walk those but thats my goal.
Why luton well luton is my home town , born and bred.
Oh i have been to the garden centre in your village, a fair while back mind.
You havent mentioned your bike , what is it??

Top Bottom