Cycling/Camping Argentina – Cost & Distances/Day?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JEOS

Cycling/Camping Argentina – Cost & Distances/Day?
I'm planning on travelling Argentina for my fist adventure cycle trip. Can anyone advise on:
• average km/day.
• Average cost/day.
Also, if you've had any good deals on Travel Insurance and flights, information on those would also be useful.
I'm fit and healthy and I'm used to doing 80 - 100 miles/day on weekends in the UK. Obviously it will be more more demanding fully loaded and on poor roads in Argentina (possibly Chile & Peru). If anybody with experience can help it will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
John

andym

Über Member
I'm hoping to go next year to the Argentinian/Chilean Lake District, so I'll be watching this one with interest.

Have a look at the insurance thread further down the main Touring and Expedition page. Looks like the main options are CTC, British Mountaineering Council and World Nomads. Lots of links on the insurance thread.

If you haven't already looked on crazygyonabike there are some very useful journals with different itineraries around Argentina, and Chile (and no doubt Peru as well).

hubbike

I´m there now! (well I'm in the chilean lake district heading to Argentina again next...)
I usualy average about 110km on paved roads and 70-80km on gravel depending on the wind and condition of the road.
What sort of route do you have in mind? I can recommend the carreterra austral (in chile) as a beautiful gravel road. takes about 4-6 weeks and its a good adventure.
Money wise. Argentina is a little cheaper than Chile especially for food. campsites cost between 3 quid to 6 quid and hostals cost about a tenner. if you cook for yourself you can buy little packets of tomato sauce for 50p each and 1kg of pasta for about a pound. if you eat in a cafe a hamburger and a coke costs about 5 quid. Don't expect things to be miles cheaper than the UK and you'l need to budget in money for visiting National Parks which can be a few quid.
I flew with Air France for about 700 quid (date changable) return. You will have to fly to either Rio, Buenos Aires, Santiago. Indirect flights are often cheaper...internal flights have to be bought either before you go or from the office in Buenos Aires.

andym

Über Member
Cheers hubbike. BTW (and slightly off topic) is coffee in Chile as bad as they say (ie Nescafe or Nescafe)?

OP
OP
J

JEOS

Thanks very much andym & hubbike, the information is very useful. At the moment I haven’t got any definite routes but I want to take in the Lake District and the Salta region. Where I go after that will depend on how I get on and if I have enough money. I’ll let you know what I come up with using the averages provided.
Thanks again.
John

hubbike

JEOS, I'm heading today back into Argentina to do the "camino de los siete lagos" Ruta 234 on the map. It is supposed to be beautiful. Worth considering that in your trip. also lots of volcanos round here worth a look.

Andy, yeah its funny with the coffee thing!! They give you a cup. Then on the table there is a can of instant nescafe coffee and a bowl of sugar. Then the guy comes around with a kettle and fills up your cup for about 50p. If you want another cup (i.e. more water) he comes round again for another 50p. Bit odd when you have columbian coffee so near?! Now I prefer the fresh juices and cakes!

Top Bottom