Cycling code?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

eonmac

Firstly Hello.
I thought i would join a forum to get something off my chest! sorry.

Cycling home in the dark rain last night i had the misfortune to crash into a BMW motorcycle.

He over took me and braked hard, I had nowhere to go...apart from into the luggage rack (scaffolding) on the back of his bike. It hurt. Over bars in the middle of road.

OK just an accident but what has annoyed me is I was in a pack of 10 ish cyclists.

NOT ONE STOPPED TO HELP OUT. I am confused. As a motorcyclist I subscribe to the unofficial motorcycle code. Help where I can and get help sometimes when i need it.

Last night was cold in every sense of the word.

Poor showing.

Ian

That was a poor showing, indeed!

Unfortunately either they were too 'busy' with their own 'lives' or just didn't give a toss.

All you can do is to be considerate to others and hope for karma to repay you.

You didn't say if the motorcyclist stopped: if he/she did, maybe the cyclists assumed you were being 'treated' and didn't need any more attention.

Hope you weren't hurt/bike damaged.

Welcome to the forum, BTW: hope your future posts are more positive. :smile:

OP
OP
eonmac

eonmac

Hi,

The motorcyclist did stop to have a go at me...

I take your point on the cyclists thinking the motorcyclist would help, but, If I saw a motorcyclist knocked off by a car I would not assume the car driver was there to help after the fact. They all saw me hit the bike and go over my bars!

Was hurt a bit, very long shakey ride home after the incident, bike fine, thanks for asking.

I promise to be more positive from now on.:smile:

cheers

OP
OP
eonmac

eonmac

I agree. Only takes a few minutes to make sure someone is OK or see if they need anything, inner tube, repair kit...

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
That is poor form on the part of the other cyclists. Not even a shout of "You ok?"?

OP
OP
eonmac

eonmac

Absolutely nothing. Just had a chat in the studio and the agreement reached is they were commuters NOT cyclists. A big difference I think.

Nope - I'm a commuter and would have stopped. It's all down to the individual. To me spending 5 mins to see if a fellow cyclist is OK/needs to borrow a repair patch/tyre lever so they can get back on their way is time well spent. If they're a commuter then the chances are that you both usually pass on your routes to/from work and they may be in the position to help you one day!!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Nothing to do with being a 'commuter or a cyclist' scenario.
It's just one of those odd things that happen.
I'm a commuter and would have definitely stopped if I had seen an accident like you had.

OP
OP
eonmac

eonmac

Sorry did not mean to offend commuters. i am one after all. Just trying to distigush between people who love to cycle and people that have to.

No offence taken although I think you'll find commuters are mostly people that love to cycle too. I could drive to work. I just choose not too as I enjoy the fresh air and freedom. The financial benefits are by the by. You spend all your savings on cycle kit anyway!!! ^_^

Top Bottom