cycling glasses over spectacles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jack smith

Veteran
Can you use them with regular glasses underneath?
No but i think its only cheap to get the lenses made, i should probably promote those kind sof glasses more to cyclists as i can imagine loads would find them useful, people with a non forces background dont tend to know about them

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
No but i think its only cheap to get the lenses made, i should probably promote those kind sof glasses more to cyclists as i can imagine loads would find them useful, people with a non forces background dont tend to know about them
Thanks, that's a shame!
I think they should be promoted top cyclists, they look just the job. Market opportunity?

A lot of folk say similar. I'm as blind as the proverbial bat and when I do get new glasses, its been a while now, I go for a pair thats got good coverage and I can wear close to my face but I wear daily disposables for weekend leisure rides with regular shades/ sports glasses on top. I order the lenses on line its cheaper and more convenient. Good luck!

Same here,in fact I usually wear varifocals but Vision Express worked out a good compromise so I can see ahead and read my Garmin like Chris Froome*;it can be fiddly but the more I've used them the easier it gets.

*The only thing I have in common with him.

runner

Guru
I use glasses for driving and I should use glasses for cycling but I don't....The problem with glasses is if it rains you cannot see, and it would appear that the only alternative is contact lenses. I did a free tryout from specsavers about 2 years ago and found them very difficult to get along with, the solution they told me was to use just one and would be able to read close up with my other eye...it appears the eye compensates....Anyway I could not get on with them and so tend not to use glasses whils't cycling which means this time of year my sight is not as clear as it should be...which is not the smartest thing to be doing cycling back in rain through traffic (which I did tonight) So when I can afford to I will have to buy a pair from Optilabs which will include the prescription insert.....in the meantime I will soldier on and keep my shortsighted eyes well peeled!

Cringles

Even with contact lenses I can get watery eyes if it's really windy, or cold. Keep thinking about getting laser eye surgery some day. Expensive, but could make make life in general a bit easier at times.

vickster

Legendary Member
As long as it works! Problem with laser eye surgery, you really need to do it while young, it's not generally permanent from my understanding, especially as the long-sightedness comes as we age!

I finally bit the bullet after a year of dithering and got some Oakleys recently, not cheap especially with transitions lenses but helped by a £50 discount. I just wear my normal glasses for most rides, unless sunnies needed. I really didn't like the insert option, nor indeed any of the Optilabs frames (their showroom is close to me so I had a thorough look). Their direct glazed models, were only about £40 less than I paid for the Oakleys and the designs nowhere near as good IMO (thick plastic frames as posted earlier in the thread)

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Even with contact lenses I can get watery eyes if it's really windy, or cold. Keep thinking about getting laser eye surgery some day. Expensive, but could make make life in general a bit easier at times.

Had laser eye surgery about 10 years ago. Best money I've ever spent. I just wear regular cycling sunglasses to keep crap out of my eyes

Cringles

Had laser eye surgery about 10 years ago. Best money I've ever spent. I just wear regular cycling sunglasses to keep crap out of my eyes

Glad it worked for you! I'm pretty sure I'm close to illegally blind when it comes to driving without glasses or contacts. I have astigmatism also. I'll run the idea by my optician, though they may lose a customer :biggrin: Worth the free consultation at least.

vickster

Legendary Member
What's your prescription? Often laser eye surgery can only be done if you aren't too blind. Don't know how the astigmatism might further complicate things

byegad

Legendary Member
I have astigmatisms in both eyes and wear Varifocal glasses. Just the lenses for my last pair of 'normal' glasses came to £500 so anything with an insert for prescription lenses comes at that price plus the frames. I find that wearing ordinary glasses I get watery eyes at speed. Riding recumbents means your down hill speed is often very high, I often top 40mph and have hit the 50s a fair few times.

Try looking down the road with your head turned slightly to one side. It doesn't stop your eyes watering but the 'downwind eye clears so fast that vision is clear from that eye. I turn my head every now and again to keep both eyes reasonably clear.

screenman

Legendary Member
Most of us end up with prescription Cycling glasses in the end

They do not make them for me unfortunately, they have tried and failed. Seems you need a flat lens for the prism to work correctly, you would have thought they would have known that before they made them.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
If it's reading glasses you need whilst riding then try these:
https://www.sportseyeweardirect.co....MIlvn6icm41wIVDx4bCh135gFdEAAYAiAAEgI5ifD_BwE

I've used bifocal sunglasses off Ebay in the past, which cost about the same, but every pair eventually broke due to weak hinges.
The Hydrotac lenses have the advantage that you can use them on your normal cycling glasses and can swap them from one pair of glasses to another, if need be.

Top Bottom