Cycling hats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I had a colleague once, seriously bright, fount of wisdom. The problem was, only on a good day. In the end we got him to wear a baseball cap. Peak orthodox and he was OK to approach, peak backwards and you left him alone.
In this instance, peak up or down for differing moods?
I was rather hoping for differing hats for differing moods. Perhaps a jaunty trilby for those pleasant Spring mornings spins when the birds are singing and a man's thoughts turn to love. Or perhaps a leather helmet with goggles for those times when you want to really put the hammer down and cane yourself?

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
The weather influencing cap/no cap I can understand but I am intrigued by your mood influencing it. If you're feeling a little down, maybe SAD, does that make you more or less likely to wear a cap?
If I am in a relaxed mood and just want to go out in the hills on a pleasure ride ealry on a weekend morning I will quite often just wear a cap. If I am in a more stressed must get to work mood riding in an urban environment with lots of traffic, then I am more likely to don the helmet over the cap. There is no logic to it. :crazy:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
One does not need to exhibit coolness oneself to be able to recognise cool or to be able identify it in others ....
Hand on heart ....

1797483_773037066042503_8970628346030359480_n.jpg

byegad

Legendary Member
I have a wide variety of headgear, never leaving the house, on foot, by trike or in the car. Being follically challenged I need the protection whatever the weather. My usual cycling wear is a Knog cap, I own two, or for sunny weather a wide brimmed hat, with chin strap. Cold weather sees a thin cycling cap and woolly hat with a Buff under both to keep my hearing aid dry.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
If I am in a relaxed mood and just want to go out in the hills on a pleasure ride ealry on a weekend morning I will quite often just wear a cap. If I am in a more stressed must get to work mood riding in an urban environment with lots of traffic, then I am more likely to don the helmet over the cap. There is no logic to it. :crazy:

Actually I'm glad there's no logic to it. I would hate for headwear decisions to be taken in a logical, considered manner. They are, by their very nature, flippant and should be treated as such

Chrisc

Guru
Or a close miss.
Nope, cracked my head hard on the deck. Fractured 5 ribs, collarbone, shoulder blade so just happy not to have added skull to the list. Like I said, I've often enjoyed summer days out with just a cap on and I'd love to continue but now I know just how fast and how badly it can all go pear shaped it's helmets for me. :-(

vickster

Legendary Member
There's no need to be insulting.
I wasn't. I have a mop of the stuff to keep my head warm, look like a spaniel wearing a helmet :biggrin:

Others with less foliage may require a beanie or hat if cold

Top Bottom